DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can mini climb a 500 meters hill ?

raulmavic

Reactions
As said, Has someone tried an ascent to mavic mini maximum altitude for climbing a hill ?

I did it and survived ;)

Beware this high altitude flights, it's easy to find strong winds and suffer a fly away.

I flew at optimal weather conditions: early in the morning with clear sky and wind dead calm.

In this challenging flight Mavic Mini will raise 500 meters altitude limit at this north spain mountain area.

You will realize that at the top of the hill there’s always another hill...

R.

Last edited:
With the hill it's compliant with drone rules, without the hill it's not. :p

Wind speeds near to the hill, on the upwind side, can be higher than at the same altitude but much further away from the hill. Conversely, on the downwind side wind speeds can be lower as you are sheltered by the hill.

Most of my flying is in the scottish mountains, so i am regularly flying 300 plus meters up hill from take off point. If you are reasonaly low above the ground, up to 100 meters i guess, conditions can be fine, but be very careful about automated RTH, as this can have your drone really high up, and exposed to the winds. I have had my pro to 470 meters above take off point, and probably 80 meters above the ground, looking for deer herds, and a RTH means you will be out of the slightly slower near ground winds, and into the full force of the hill winds, where all my drones can struggle and get buffeted about. I dont tend to use the mini for this, and even the M2z and inspires bet battered if too high up I tend to fly them down, dropping down all the time and that way its fine and safe

Reactions: raulmavic
Wind speeds near to the hill, on the upwind side, can be higher than at the same altitude but much further away from the hill. Conversely, on the downwind side wind speeds can be lower as you are sheltered by the hill.
With those factors in mind....the air will most likely be rapidly ascending or..descending

Theres often a vertical component to the airflow too. Glider pilots know this well. The Mini has a max vertical speed of only 3m/s compared to a max horizontal speed of around 13m/s. Both are relative to ground, but approximately correlate to max air speeds too.

Last edited:
Most of my flying is in the scottish mountains, so i am regularly flying 300 plus meters up hill from take off point. If you are reasonaly low above the ground, up to 100 meters i guess, conditions can be fine, but be very careful about automated RTH, as this can have your drone really high up, and exposed to the winds. I have had my pro to 470 meters above take off point, and probably 80 meters above the ground, looking for deer herds, and a RTH means you will be out of the slightly slower near ground winds, and into the full force of the hill winds, where all my drones can struggle and get buffeted about. I dont tend to use the mini for this, and even the M2z and inspires bet battered if too high up I tend to fly them down, dropping down all the time and that way its fine and safe
From the Mavic Mini manual:
"During RTH, the aircraft's speed, altitude and the orientation can be controlled using the remote controller or DJI Fly if the remote controller signal is normal, but the direction of flight cannot be controlled".
In other words, you don't have to let the drone be exposed to the strong winds high above ground during the RTH-process. =)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman