DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the MP do this?

John235

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This past winter, my brother, who lives about 3/4 mile away had a medical emergency and called for me to bring some aid to him. Everything ended ok, but got me thinking. We live in a very remote area, and can sometimes get seriously snowed in. Suppose his emergency had been a very severe asthma attack while we were snowed in. I could snowshoe a nebulizer to him, but it would take valuable time. But could my MP do this?

Tape a nebulizer to the back of the MP, fly to his house, then signal autoland while over his lawn. Due to trees and the contour of the hill, I know I will lose connection on the way down. What would happen? Would the drone continue landing and turn off, perhaps saving his life, or would failsafe cause it to abort the landing and rth?

You can use Litchi. It will fly the mission autonomously without connection to your remote.

Reactions: John235
Either set the homepoint to the AC position when over the landing location (make sure the camera is at 90°) or in the MC settings menu, advanced settings set the RC signal lost to land. Probably want to turn off the landing protection in the advanced vision settings in thevisual nav settings menu too. Not that I am encouraging this BVLOS operation! Remember the cold may decrease battery capacity.

Reactions: John235
You can use Litchi. It will fly the mission autonomously without connection to your remote.
That is great to know. If such an unlikely event were to occur, I would download and install it. But can the MP do this out of the box? This is a thought experiment, and I am wondering about the native capabilities of the MP and DJI GO4.

Either set the homepoint to the AC position when over the landing location (make sure the camera is at 90°) or in the MC settings menu, advanced settings set the RC signal lost to land. Probably want to turn off the landing protection in the advanced vision settings in thevisual nav settings menu too. Not that I am encouraging this BVLOS operation! Remember the cold may decrease battery capacity.
Beautiful! Slap my forehead and say duh!

Btw, this does not reflect an expected situation, but if it were to occur, I would also realize I would be landing in snow, possibly damaging the drone. Just wondering about what is possible.

This past winter, my brother, who lives about 3/4 mile away had a medical emergency and called for me to bring some aid to him. Everything ended ok, but got me thinking. We live in a very remote area, and can sometimes get seriously snowed in. Suppose his emergency had been a very severe asthma attack while we were snowed in. I could snowshoe a nebulizer to him, but it would take valuable time. But could my MP do this?

Tape a nebulizer to the back of the MP, fly to his house, then signal autoland while over his lawn. Due to trees and the contour of the hill, I know I will lose connection on the way down. What would happen? Would the drone continue landing and turn off, perhaps saving his life, or would failsafe cause it to abort the landing and rth?
Why don’t you just get a drop device? That way you don’t have to land at all and can keep connection the whole time.

There are other less expensive ones but this is the one I know of.

Reactions: Thomas B
Portable nebulizers, weighing only 7 oz are available. That, and a "Thrower" (device to air drop from your MP - see ebay) would allow you to drop the nebulizer over your brother's place using a small drogue chute to slow the drop speed.

Better idea, have him get an extra nebulizer in advance!

Oops, Brett8883 beat me to it!

I might have a new thrower available on the cheap. Ordered one for my M2 on ebay, they sent the wrong one (for an MP), so depending on if they have me return it, I'd let it go for $10 plus shipping). Note this is not an offer to sell. I'll list it in the classifieds IF I don't have to return it to China - :)

Last edited:
My property is long enough I tried a “remote landing” several times. (1/4 mile). It works great.
1. point the camera down.
2. position the AC for a clear area
3. set the current position as the Home point.
4. keep all sensors on
5. press RTH button.

It doesn’t matter if you lose signal . It’s in RTH mode anyway

My question should have been simply, "What happens if signal is lost during autolanding?"
Could a drone be used to deliver something small in an emergency situation. Could it take a set of car keys to someone on the other side of the river or ravine, etc and what would happen on loss of signal. I simply wanted to know what would happen. Thanks all for a bunch of interesting thoughts.

My question should have been simply, "What happens if signal is lost during autolanding?"
Could a drone be used to deliver something small in an emergency situation. Could it take a set of car keys to someone on the other side of the river or ravine, etc and what would happen on loss of signal. I simply wanted to know what would happen. Thanks all for a bunch of interesting thoughts.
Why not just fly your missions in question and report your findings?

There's a set of pontoons that you can buy on eBay for the Mavic. But then if starts following the flow of the water...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent