DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can You Fly and Take Pictures Without Cellular Service?

Steve1962

Reactions
Hello!

This is my first time of using a drone and I have been using it with Wifi and cellular service. Now, I own some remote property that is nowhere near Wifi or cellular towers and I would like to use the drone to look around the property. Is there a way to fly and take pictures / videos with the drone without using cellular data?

Thanks again.

Reactions: jep4755
It's not the same WiFi as your home router etc..

Cellular Data is NOT required to fly the aircraft but it IS required to get the local/current maps etc. Many of us flying without cellular data quite often.

Question: Out at my farm there is no cellphone service. Can I take one of my old Samsung phones (no longer with cellphone carrier service) and connect it to the Mavic 2 Zoom and fly.
Yes, as long as you’ve got Go4, litchi or some other means of accessing the information from the drone. You can even fly without a phone or tablet, using the remote control only. Less fun as you cannot frame images or see where the drone is going from the drones POV.

Reactions: JS1600
You can also download maps for offline use, That way you have the current map of the area your in.

I don't get why people say you need cell for maps I've never had cell service on my Ipad but I always have maps of where I'm flying

I don't get why people say you need cell for maps I've never had cell service on my Ipad but I always have maps of where I'm flying
I don't get why people think they need maps. I think I've used the map once in 5 years.
The radar display is much more useful most of the time.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
You don't specifically need cell for map details, but you do need internet at some point, even if over WiFi. Otherwise how would the app get the map details for your specific area?

It couldn't possibly get its location from the gps now could it :rolleyes: :oops:
GPS gives location data, but location data is just a couple of numbers like this: -34.029491 21.251463.
Maps don't come from GPS.
They come from downloaded internet data and the app displays an icon on the right spot on the map to match the location of your drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000