DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you guys shed some light on this message

holland197439

Reactions
It’s popped up twice. I have the MA if that info is needed.

Attachments

• B99C1A03-1783-42EA-9C1E-63C0D2BA9C0B.png
    B99C1A03-1783-42EA-9C1E-63C0D2BA9C0B.png
    926.4 KB · Views: 411
And after you update, if you still get that message (after you change batteries) there’s probably a battery update as well. Repeat the update with each battery installed in the aircraft if this happens.

Better to check the aircraft with each individual battery before you go flying; that way you get don’t get stuck with just one battery updated.

I've also recently received that message, but it was out in the field and I had concerns that an incomplete firmware update could brick the M2P if it was unable to complete. I let it update anyway. It went quick and all was well.

BUT....it sure would be nice if the message told you which hardware needed the update and how long it should take.

Reactions: holland197439
Gadget Guy,
"That cryptic message merely means the battery has an available update, which can safely be ignored. If convenient, you can update it, but certainly don't waste battery power on it in the field!"

It boggles my mind why the message doesn't just say something more descriptive as you just did. Unfortunately Microsoft Windows also sometimes has similar ambiguous messages when there is an issue.

Gadget Guy,
"That cryptic message merely means the battery has an available update, which can safely be ignored. If convenient, you can update it, but certainly don't waste battery power on it in the field!"

It boggles my mind why the message doesn't just say something more descriptive as you just did. Unfortunately Microsoft Windows also sometimes has similar ambiguous messages when there is an issue.
That's what we have the forum for, to translate DJI Chinglish into plain English! ;)

Almost always "inconsistent firmware" means the current battery needs a firmware update. Likely this wasn't the battery used when the AC firmware was updated.

However I did encounter a situation where the AC did indeed encounter some corruption and needed firmware refresh. I first thought it was the battery but update would fail at 99%. I had just flown with the battery so SoC was low. Put in a different battery where it too produced firmware issue message. Update completed with that one. Put previous battery back in, no firmware message.

Reactions: lilewis
So...to be clear...it is typically okay to fly with a battery with outdated firmware if you are in the field and can't update?

Or is that still risky?

So...to be clear...it is typically okay to fly with a battery with outdated firmware if you are in the field and can't update?

Or is that still risky?
No problem at all, as I posted above. You can ignore it forever, if you like! Same with any aircraft FW updates, all NFZ database updates, as well as all GO 4 updates! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If it is just for the battery, then inconsistent firmware is OK. But if it is a legitimate inconsistency like my recent case, that could be risky, though rare.
You can tell if it is because of the battery by putting in the battery used for the last update. If no message, then it is the battery that it's calling for.
A plain old "update available" is OK to skip.

A battery update doesn't take long though.

Reactions: mniedringhaus
Whenever an update is available ... Update all your equipment by connecting it to your PC before flying ...
Battery will be saved when you are at the place of flight.
There is usually no problem ... but planning a flight is essential to avoid such inconveniences.

I absolutely agree, @nafisgal. Going through a strong checklist before any flight that includes firmware updates is instrumental in providing confidence in the field that the flight will go well. I've learned to understand the change of mindset that needs to occur when one buys a new DJI drone. They are not toys. They are professional flight instruments. Therefore, you can't just run out the door and spontaneously put them in the air. We have a responsibility to the safety of others as well as our own pocketbooks.

My initial question regarding the importance of updating a battery's firmware was based on me suddenly finding that one of my batteries had not been updated and yet I needed to fly. It's good to know that I hadn't taken that much of a risk, but I really shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. Another lesson learned!!

I absolutely agree, @nafisgal. Going through a strong checklist before any flight that includes firmware updates is instrumental in providing confidence in the field that the flight will go well. I've learned to understand the change of mindset that needs to occur when one buys a new DJI drone. They are not toys. They are professional flight instruments. Therefore, you can't just run out the door and spontaneously put them in the air. We have a responsibility to the safety of others as well as our own pocketbooks.

My initial question regarding the importance of updating a battery's firmware was based on me suddenly finding that one of my batteries had not been updated and yet I needed to fly. It's good to know that I hadn't taken that much of a risk, but I really shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. Another lesson learned!!
It is also the pilot's responsibility to be in control. Installing any FW updates that you have not previously researched, tested and know to be bug free is a far greater risk than not installing any updates on an already known and tested setup, especially on a mature aircraft. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Every FW update introduces new bugs, while attempting to fix prior bugs, and introducing new untested features that may be of no interest.

The battery update only added the ability to alter the set 10 day to storage discharge. Unless you specifically want that feature, leave it alone, as the new changeable default becomes 5 days, which might catch you off guard on a 10 day trip away from power! You need to know what you are changing with every FW update, and DJI is known to embed Trojan Horses into updates, such as anti-rollback!

It is also the pilot's responsibility to be in control. Installing any FW updates that you have not previously researched, tested and know to be bug free is a far greater risk than not installing any updates on an already known and tested setup, especially on a mature aircraft. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Every FW update introduces new bugs, while attempting to fix prior bugs, and introducing new untested features that may be of no interest.

The battery update only added the ability to alter the set 10 day to storage discharge. Unless you specifically want that feature, leave it alone, as the new changeable default becomes 5 days, which might catch you off guard on a 10 day trip away from power! You need to know what you are changing with every FW update, and DJI is known to embed Trojan Horses into updates, such as anti-rollback!

Thanks! Excellent points I will keep in mind.

You have said it perfectly! The worst problems I have had were after DJI MP FW updates. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki