DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you stop the Avata 2 cutting power when turned upside down?

HopwoodBoy70

Reactions
A bit of a warning to others, and also to see if anyone has an answer to an issue.

I had a little mishap with my Avata 2 last week 😩 I was flying with the MC3 in Sport Mode with Head Tracking enabled, and was filming my glider which was being piloted by my friend.

We were slope soaring with a reasonable breeze, and between that and using head tracking for only the second time, my flight wasn’t the smoothest it could have been, resulting in a fairly gentle collision between the A2 and my glider.

Unfortunately, the A2 flipped upside down which, from the height (c.70m) it should have had plenty of time for it to self-right and recover if only it didn’t have this stupid ‘feature’ of powering itself off when upside down 😡

I get that it’s cool to hover it close by and grab it on top and flip it over to kill the power. But seriously, it’s a drone!! Just land the thing!

So, one destroyed A2 later (luckily I have DJI Care Refresh and got a brand new replacement in less than 2 days! 😀 Amazing service!) but I was wondering if anyone knows how to deactivate that dangerous setting? I’ve looked through the options and can’t see anything obvious 🤔

In future I will do this sort of flying using my FPV RC 3 in Manual mode which does allow the drone to go upside down without the damned thing powering down!

Here’s a video of the unfortunate incident. Interestingly, whilst the video stopped recording at exactly this point, I did have video feed all the way to the ground, just no control.

Glider chasing

Reactions: Cafguy
Perhaps you might post the .txt flight log ?
Interesting little bit, I saw a post on the DJI forum that raises the possiblity of getting a readable 'screen device' DAT off the googles.
Connect a phone that has an OLD version of the fly app on it, perhaps 1.3.
Android only, you can, if necessary, get old versions from

If you are inclined to post the log upload the .txt flight log to
and post the URL here.
If you got a DAT that did not have the extension ".enc" up load the last .DAT to a file hosting website, make its page publc and post the URL here.

I do not know if the following is relevant to the situation but, whilst the drone is in freefall and if you were using a controller with joysticks rather than a motion controller, you could perhaps try a CSC to restart the motors.
You wouldn't have much time to play with but there is a chance you might get a motor restart.

Last edited:
I get that it’s cool to hover it close by and grab it on top and flip it over to kill the power. But seriously, it’s a drone!! Just land the thing!
That's not what it's for, but if you crash and it ends up upside down on the ground you want it to stop instead of it continuing to grind itself to pieces. There's never an intended way to be upside down in N/S modes so if it is there's something very wrong and it's safer to stop everything.

I wish the props were reversible in manual, 0 rpm at center throttle.

I confess I've never flown such a beast, and don't know if they even exist.

Similar to a 3D helicopter with reversible pitch on the rotor. Which I have flown.

That's not what it's for, but if you crash and it ends up upside down on the ground you want it to stop instead of it continuing to grind itself to pieces. There's never an intended way to be upside down in N/S modes so if it is there's something very wrong and it's safer to stop everything.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess it's just one of a number of things that are very different than the freestyle drones I'm used to. If they crash, simply flick a switch to disarm. Or with the A2 in manual mode with the FPV controller, both sticks down and in.

Although really, even if this was on the ground upside down, the fact it has ducts around the props should mean it won't do much damage to itself even if the motors are running. And first thing you'd do is go throttle low anyway. I'm still not convinced that's it's really necessary and it actually creates more risk as in my case 😳

I wish the props were reversible in manual, 0 rpm at center throttle.

I confess I've never flown such a beast, and don't know if they even exist.

Similar to a 3D helicopter with reversible pitch on the rotor. Which I have flown.
I flew a 3D drone with reversible ESCs/motors once. For about 5 minutes. Badly.... 😂 My muscle memory would let me go centre stick to drop power to zero and kept firing the drone towards to ground at a scary speed 😫😂

Perhaps you might post the .txt flight log ?
Interesting little bit, I saw a post on the DJI forum that raises the possiblity of getting a readable 'screen device' DAT off the googles.
Connect a phone that has an OLD version of the fly app on it, perhaps 1.3.
Android only, you can, if necessary, get old versions from

If you are inclined to post the log upload the .txt flight log to
and post the URL here.
If you got a DAT that did not have the extension ".enc" up load the last .DAT to a file hosting website, make its page publc and post the URL here.

I do not know if the following is relevant to the situation but, whilst the drone is in freefall and if you were using a controller with joysticks rather than a motion controller, you could perhaps try a CSC to restart the motors.
You wouldn't have much time to play with but there is a chance you might get a motor restart.
Too late to try that I'm afraid as the crashed drone is back with DJI and I have a brand new one courtesy of DJI Care Refresh 😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n