DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada - Advanced Flight Certificate

KRASHED

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I bought a Mini to help myself in an upcoming job posting for drone operators. I am putting in flight time but I would like to get my advanced licence as well.

There's numerous sites for Canadians to get this licence but I'm a little confused on the variances in it. What is the recommended site? There's one that has a 30% discount for first responders so I'm leaning towards that.

If I'm not mistaken it seems like there's online training, then you write the exam and then there's an in person flight review? I'm a complete newbie at this point.

Hi everyone,

I bought a Mini to help myself in an upcoming job posting for drone operators. I am putting in flight time but I would like to get my advanced licence as well.

There's numerous sites for Canadians to get this licence but I'm a little confused on the variances in it. What is the recommended site? There's one that has a 30% discount for first responders so I'm leaning towards that.

If I'm not mistaken it seems like there's online training, then you write the exam and then there's an in person flight review? I'm a complete newbie at this point.
YouTube: DonDronesOn Don't waste you money. And you might find https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dr...recency-requirements-self-paced-study-program useful.

You don't need to take any "training" ahead of time... You can just do the exam(s).

Some knowledge going in will definitely help though! I did a ground school (paid for by employer) but I agree that Don Drones On is a really good resource and may well be all you need.

The tests themselves (basic and advanced) are $10 a pop through the online drone portal webpage. If you fail (need 60%, if I remember right, for basic, 80% on advanced), you can try again after 24 hrs, $10 each time.

I believe you can go straight to the advanced and skip the basic... And if you pass the advanced you are given both the basic and advanced pass. For myself, I'd say I wouldn't recommend that as the advanced test is tough and could be demotivating if you jump straight to it and struggle.... I think for the $10 it's better to do the basic first, get some confidence, and some idea of the type of questions to expect going forward.

And then yeah, for the advanced, after you pass the advanced test you need to.pass an in-person flight review. There would be a cost for this too, and I assume that cost will vary (in my case I haven't yet done my flight review, but am fortunate in that my employer will pay for it.)

In both tests (basic and advanced) having a rough idea of where certain info can be found is important (AIM and CAR documents) And I'd say strong search skills via Google is almost a requirement, especially for the advanced test as the time crunch is real and many of the questions are of the "wtf " variety.

Reactions: JamieK
Hi everyone,

linxuav.ca has all the online training free as long as COVID lasts. check it out!

Reactions: mittenz

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji