DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada: can I as a us citizen cross the border with mavic in my car?

Has anyone actually reported a problem with this?

I've just finished flying around Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan with my full drone kit -- I bought a hard case that carries my Air, controller, all the charging accessories and cables, and four batteries (always discharged to <25%).

Security usually wants me to open the case, and they take out the drone, each battery, and the controller, look at them, then put them back. No worse than carrying a laptop through in my (limited) experience.

I'll be flying back to China (where I work) at the start of September, and I don't expect any trouble.

So I'm curious if there is something odd going on with the US-Canada border? I always found it harder coming back into the US (on a US passport) than I ever did going into Canada.

The last time I went to Canada I had an AZ license plate on my pickup. The Canadian border guys made us park in the "search" area where they looked in every nook & cranny of my pickup. The two "officers" took about 40 minutes to search the vehicle. When I asked why they had singled my truck out of all the cars they passed thru, they said because I had an AZ plate & they were sure I was carrying a firearm plus being from AZ, I might be smuggling illegals aliens across the border. I swear that is what the officer in the office told me... Needless to say, I won't be spending any American money in that country in the near or distant future...
~
Really? A Canadian border guard used the words “you might be smuggling illegal aliens”? In your half ton truck? I have to say that seems like a tale. A Canadian border officer would never call non citizens “illegal aliens” it’s just not a phrase used by Canadians especially not border officers. Just saying.
I travel with my drone quite frequently between Canada and the us. There is literally nothing different today than there ever has been. Can you be subject to inspection? Of course! So am I as a Canadian when I go to the us and when I return home. Sadly,people from other countries aren’t permitted to fly in Canada, as was posted earlier,but the drone itself is not subject to confiscation and is not on any restricted item list that I’ve been able to see on the cbsa website.

The last time I went to Canada I had an AZ license plate on my pickup. The Canadian border guys made us park in the "search" area where they looked in every nook & cranny of my pickup. The two "officers" took about 40 minutes to search the vehicle. When I asked why they had singled my truck out of all the cars they passed thru, they said because I had an AZ plate & they were sure I was carrying a firearm plus being from AZ, I might be smuggling illegals aliens across the border. I swear that is what the officer in the office told me... Needless to say, I won't be spending any American money in that country in the near or distant future...
~
Smuggling aliens... in a pickup truck? Where did they think you had them hidden? Glove compartment?

Whatever those guys were smoking, it must have been really good.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras