DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian drone operators

Canuk

Reactions
I am looking to find out if anyone on this forum has taken the time to jump though the paper work in Canada to become a commercial pilot .
I missed a chance today to make some cash as our local pulp mill wanted pictures of there stock piles of trees and chip piles . They had a airplane fly in from the next over province but there was a fog layer at 350 feet above the mill . Our mill is in a river valley . The plan was scrapped as it was not safe for the
Plane as one hillside is close to the stockpile . The company that was hired to take the pictures called our local DJI dealer hoping to find a legal drone pilot to do the job . I was wanting to find out how hard is this to do here in Canada .
Today this company had wasted about 6 hours of airplane time flying here and back from there takeoff spot in BC .
All they wanted was a bunch of pictures and they were going to do the final finishing of pictures before giving the finished product to the big wheels that own the mill . The mill was sold and I think the new owners wanted to see what it looks like from the air to possibly improve efficiency of operation’s. Flying one of my drones and getting paid would of been a good day .

It’s not looking good as I posted that 11 hours ago

I've been trying to get a Standing SFOC for some time but it appears that courses required to do so are very expensive ($2200 or more). My local airport had a coarse last year and certified 6 pilots for about $50.00 each but they've had no interest since, so they are not offering it anymore.
Maybe I'll try contacting Transport Canada directly.
Also, If I need to fly near the airport, I contact them by phone. They've never said "no". They just want to know who you are and where you are flying and how high.

Reactions: Rookiepilot
I am looking to find out if anyone on this forum has taken the time to jump though the paper work in Canada to become a commercial pilot .
I missed a chance today to make some cash as our local pulp mill wanted pictures of there stock piles of trees and chip piles . They had a airplane fly in from the next over province but there was a fog layer at 350 feet above the mill . Our mill is in a river valley . The plan was scrapped as it was not safe for the
Plane as one hillside is close to the stockpile . The company that was hired to take the pictures called our local DJI dealer hoping to find a legal drone pilot to do the job . I was wanting to find out how hard is this to do here in Canada .
Today this company had wasted about 6 hours of airplane time flying here and back from there takeoff spot in BC .
All they wanted was a bunch of pictures and they were going to do the final finishing of pictures before giving the finished product to the big wheels that own the mill . The mill was sold and I think the new owners wanted to see what it looks like from the air to possibly improve efficiency of operation’s. Flying one of my drones and getting paid would of been a good day .
It’s better to beg forgiveness than ask permission

Reactions: Wade Gizzy
You don't need to take a course to apply for an SFOC. The biggest problem with the SFOC is that they generate a lot of paperwork, take time to complete, and even more time to be approved.

Once you have two or three under your belt, you can apply for a standing SFOC which means you don't need to apply for one for every mission. Standing SFOCs will come with conditions which means you may need to apply for an individual SFOC if your mission falls outside the scope of your standing SFOC restrictions.

As KenK says, you may qualify for an exemption but you would still need to apply in advance.

Risk is life
You are exactly right, there are risks everyday even getting out of bed.

But the risk you are talking about will not only affect you, it could have consequences for everyone that enjoys flying a drone in Canada. The government might finally decide that there are to many people not following the rules and make drone use illegal unless your trained and licensed.

Odds of that happening in my opinion are very low but increase when people feel like they can just make there own rules.

You are exactly right, there are risks everyday even getting out of bed.

But the risk you are talking about will not only affect you, it could have consequences for everyone that enjoys flying a drone in Canada. The government might finally decide that there are to many people not following the rules and make drone use illegal unless your trained and licensed.

Odds of that happening in my opinion are very low but increase when people feel like they can just make there own rules.
Contrary to modern times common sense prevails if used.

Contrary to modern times common sense prevails if used.
I'm 100% with you on the common sense idea but that is in short supply these days. All we need is one person causing and incident not following the rules and those rules (the noose) will tighten.
Cheers

Read a news article last night at work that said the new Canadian drone regulations would be released before Christmas. I'm not able to find it now.

It seems to be pretty much what we've been hearing, including liability insurance. Has anybody successfully obtained drone insurance at a reasonable price?
Cheers

I have read the proposed regs before.

I have 2 issues with it, the first is providing my name and address. If I happen to lose my drone and someone finds it they now know where I live and that I can afford an expensive "toy", which don't like the idea of.

My second issue is the liability insurance, don't get me wrong it's not that I'm against getting the insurance it's that I've had a very hard time finding anybody that will cover me at a reasonable rate. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

I have no problem placing my name, address and phone # on my drone, actually I already did it. Ordered very small label from Drone Labels and Plaques [ Shop ].
Liability insurance is another story, giving insurance companies 'carte blanche' to charge people whatever they like, pretty much the same like with cars, motorcycles, scooters, etc., is not acceptable. If Transport Canada will be able to control/regulate premiums or better yet sell insurance coverage I have no problem with that but to give insurance industry another way to rob people is rather pathetic approach.

Reactions: Olderguyjim
I have no problem placing my name, address and phone # on my drone, actually I already did it. Ordered very small label from Drone Labels and Plaques [ Shop ].
Liability insurance is another story, giving insurance companies 'carte blanche' to charge people whatever they like, pretty much the same like with cars, motorcycles, scooters, etc., is not acceptable. If Transport Canada will be able to control/regulate premiums or better yet sell insurance coverage I have no problem with that but to give insurance industry another way to rob people is rather pathetic approach.
I agree when you are required by law to have or do anything the sky is the limit that can be charged for it.

As for as putting my information on my drone its probably what I do as a side job that makes me suspicious but I've learned, rightly or wrongly, to not trust the general public.

I do agree with you that by mandating insurance they have given the insurance companies a licence to steal, which if you live in Ontario as I do you know they do with impunity. I live just about as far from Toronto as you can get in Ontario but my rates are still ruled by their horrible driving. Here's hoping there is some kind of solution before these proposals become law.
Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
walkedaway