DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Licences

Blackfish67

Reactions
Really new to the drone world. I have taken & passed the Canadian basic drone licence. I have a YouTube channel that is not related to drones but I m planning on using drone footage I shoot on my channel. My question is, is the basic licence all I need or do I need the advanced in order to make money with a drone in Canada? I believe in the USA you need Part 107 if you make money from your YouTube channel & use a drone. (Not monitized on YouTube YET)

Thanks
Jer from Hawaii North

Really new to the drone world. I have taken & passed the Canadian basic drone licence. I have a YouTube channel that is not related to drones but I m planning on using drone footage I shoot on my channel. My question is, is the basic licence all I need or do I need the advanced in order to make money with a drone in Canada? I believe in the USA you need Part 107 if you make money from your YouTube channel & use a drone. (Not monitized on YouTube YET)

Thanks
Jer from Hawaii North
I’m pretty sure you need an advanced license if you are making money. Here’s a website that addresses everything to do with flying drones in Canada. The Transport Canada website can be difficult to navigate. There are questions from operators near the end, some specifically asking about selling photos and video using a basic license and the answer is no. I’ve always had an advanced, a lot of liability insurance because I shoot at mine sites, advertised events like broadcast football games which require an SFOC, etc. Drone Laws in Canada [Updated September 4, 2024]

Reactions: Blackfish67
As far as I understand the law in Canada there is no connection between recreational and commercial operations as far as making money from your drone activities. The need for an advanced license is strictly to do with what type of drone your flying (sub 249g or below or 250g and above) or where you intend to fly it.

Thanks
Jer from Hawaii North

I’m pretty sure you need an advanced license if you are making money. Here’s a website that addresses everything to do with flying drones in Canada. The Transport Canada website can be difficult to navigate. There are questions from operators near the end, some specifically asking about selling photos and video using a basic license and the answer is no. I’ve always had an advanced, a lot of liability insurance because I shoot at mine sites, advertised events like broadcast football games which require an SFOC, etc. Drone Laws in Canada [Updated September 4, 2024]
This is not true. There is no connection between commercial operation and the level of license you need.

An advanced license is necessary for certain types of flying, and not having one can limit what you can do, but you can even make money without a license by sticking to sub-250 g drones (and obeying the Canadian Aviation Regulations).

The weight of your drone, distance from bystanders and airspace rules define your category. The rules do not treat people who fly drones for fun or for business differently.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca92