DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian rules explained - or not...

AMann

Reactions
Had to laugh at this, but it is pretty well done. I can’t speak for its accuracy, maybe some of you up north can. We could use something more entertaining like this for people to learn about our US FAA rules as well.

Yeah, someone sent that to me recently. It's comical, but I definitely would not call it "pretty well explained" as there are several exaggerations made, and a few things said are outright just not true.

While I was worried about the new regulations initially, having spent some time going over the nuances of it, I think it's actually not a bad setup right now. The exception maybe being the NAV CANADA authorization requirement for use in controlled airspace. That's a little clunky and would be great to see something like LAANC in the US established here in its place.

Reactions: Marty McFlier
This separate the men from the boys who want to fly there drones safety

Yeah, someone sent that to me recently. It's comical, but I definitely would not call it "pretty well explained" as there are several exaggerations made, and a few things said are outright just not true.

While I was worried about the new regulations initially, having spent some time going over the nuances of it, I think it's actually not a bad setup right now. The exception maybe being the NAV CANADA authorization requirement for use in controlled airspace. That's a little clunky and would be great to see something like LAANC in the US established here in its place.
Ok, well I’ve changed the title to the thread to a more appropriate one. I’m not Canadian and saw it not knowing anything of the law there. What is the procedure for NAV Canada? You are right about LAANC, it’s pretty easy.

Last edited:
Quick question, what about non-canadian visitors? Surely they can't expect them to take the tests etc?

Just wondering.

I've seen this guy in a couple of videos and he's humorous. Really don't have a clue as to the Canadian test but from what I'm seeing in other posts suggests the Canadian test has a lot more other than just common sense questions. Is there a link to what you actually need to know when prepping for the basic test?

I watch a lot of his videos, and he's pretty amusing, and a decent videographer/photographer gives a few good tips.

Ok, well I’ve changed the title to the thread to a more appropriate one. I’m not Canadian and saw it not knowing anything of the law there. What is the procedure for NAV Canada? You are right about LAANC, it’s pretty easy.

NAV CANADA RPAS Flight Authorization

Basically, submit a fairly detailed form outlining all the flight parameters ahead of time. The time required to process the request is indicated to be between 2-14 days. I've heard anecdotally from a couple people who submitted request in the very early hours of the new laws being implemented that some were authorized within a couple hours, but only time will tell how efficient the system actually is.

Recreational fliers might want to check the Designated Airspace Handbook if you are around Sarnia, Sault St Marie, Kingston, Timmins, Wiarton or a dozen other spots where CLASS E airspace prohibits recreational flying anywhere within 15 MILES of the airport . . PERIOD. See "Transition Areas" for Sarnia and Sault below.

Commercial flights require the new on-line app to Nav Canada . . but I can tell you from experience that is no way to run a company. There is no blanket operation and trying to nail a specific date time based on custoemr needs weather access and DJI no-fly is . . in a word IMPOSSIBLE. I've made these issues known to Transport Canada and Nav Canada and have had not response yet. . .seems like even with all the regulations registrations and qualifications drone pilots are still "second tier" . . and Recreational flying is OUT.

DAH says "Toronto FIR Transition Areas"

Here is Sault St Marie. The outer RED circle is CLASS D (5mi SFC-3000AGL) and inner circle is the aerodrome. CLASS E is 15 miles radius YELLOW, "12,500AGL and below" (15 Miles is 10 miles outside of the CLASS D shown here ) . . a much larger area. Similar in Sarnia and many other locations in all provinces.

What's to be done?

I have a possible flight coming up that per my "basic" license I can't do because it is class E, surface to 3000. It's an area where there is no traffic at all, but an oddball because of the shape of the airspace.

Class E, no VFR separation services and for fricks sake, no IFR traffic will be below 400' where I'll be (way, not), nor will VFR.

The rules are insane stupid with fat wallops of bureaucratic nonsense...

Rant over.

I may do the advanced sometime over the summer, but my heart is definitely not in it...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki