DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't change Home point during flight

wco81

Reactions
Seen a couple of videos but they must not be for the Mavic 2 Pro because it didn't look like the DJI 4 Go app.

They access a menu tab called Safety and it brings up a map where you can either click icons or drag the H icon.

On the DJI 4 Go app on my iPhone, there isn't a "Safety" menu.

So I go to the drone menu and about 3 rows down there's a H icon and an aircraft icon and an H icon with a person icon.

So I tap the H icon with the person icon, because I deliberately walked about 500 feet from where I launched to test this, and it says mobile device doesn't have a strong signal enough to relocate the Home point.

The reception is strong so I don't know what they're talking about.

But I don't even know why it wouldn't use the GPS location instead of just the mobile signal strength to the phone.

I had to land it manually, fly to where I was and just bring it down.

Annoying.

So I tap the H icon with the person icon, because I deliberately walked about 500 feet from where I launched to test this, and it says mobile device doesn't have a strong signal enough to relocate the Home point.

The reception is strong so I don't know what they're talking about.

But I don't even know why it wouldn't use the GPS location instead of just the mobile signal strength to the phone.
You are seeing this message
i-3hfgVhq-L.jpg

It's DJI's clumsy attempt to tell you that the app has no GPS data from your phone.
That could be due to GPS being disabled in your location settings, or you are in a spot where the phone isn't getting good GPS reception due to terrain, obstacles or tree cover etc.
It has nothing to do with the phone's mobile signal strength.
Even without good GPS data from the phone you can still reset the home point to the drone's current location.

So the issue to work out, is why doesn't your phone have good GPS location data?
What phone is it?

Reactions: hiflyer201
iPhone 14 Pro Max.

And I have Location Services set to Allow Location Access "While Using the App."

It had no prob let acquiring GPS and setting the Home point when I launched.

Flat terrain, open sky, it's a neighborhood park, I walked from one side to another, like I said, maybe 500 feet or so.

It showed the blue dot on the map showing my current location relative to the original Home point.

The aircraft was in GPS mode the entire time, at no point did it slip out of GPS mode.

And I have Location Services set to Allow Location Access "While Using the App."
It had no prob let acquiring GPS and setting the Home point when I launched.
Flat terrain, open sky, it's a neighborhood park, I walked from one side to another, like I said, maybe 500 feet or so.
It showed the blue dot on the map showing my current location relative to the original Home point.
The aircraft was in GPS mode the entire time, at no point did it slip out of GPS mode.
The issue is GPS data from the phone, not from the drone.
There was a problem a couple of years ago that made it impossible to reset the homepoint to the location of the controller, but it only affected Apple users and Android users never had the problem.
I haven't heard of it for quite a while and assumed it had been fixed.

About the only thing you can do is confirm that the phone actually has good GPS data.
With an Android device, I use an app called GPS Status which shows the sats the phone is connected to anad is good for confirming that GPS is working properly.
i-CxxxrMt-L.jpg

Perhaps there is a similar app for iPhones?

The issue is GPS data from the phone, not from the drone.
There was a problem a couple of years ago that made it impossible to reset the homepoint to the location of the controller, but it only affected Apple users and Android users never had the problem.
I haven't heard of it for quite a while and assumed it had been fixed.

About the only thing you can do is confirm that the phone actually has good GPS data.
With an Android device, I use an app called GPS Status which shows the sats the phone is connected to anad is good for confirming that GPS is working properly.

Perhaps there is a similar app for iPhones?
Not sure but I never have problems with mapping apps and obviously the DJI 4 Go app is getting a GPS location to show the current location of the controller or my phone as well as when it initially sets the home point.

I just checked UAV Forecast app. It shows 17.6 sats Locked, 18 Visible Sats. Tells me it's Good To Fly. I'm inside my home, which is about 1/2 a mile from where I was flying.

It shows a Kp value of 2, not sure what that is.

Is the home point setting for the current drone location or the RC location?
Not sure, whatever is the default.

I've rarely tried to change the Home point in the 4-5 years I've had the drone.
The error message makes it clear that the OP was trying to set the homepoint to the location of the controller.
There is no default for resetting the home point.
You have to choose which of the two options.
Yyou can reset to the current location of the drone or the current location of the controller.
i-hxkT9CK-M.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure but I never have problems with mapping apps and obviously the DJI 4 Go app is getting a GPS location to show the current location of the controller or my phone as well as when it initially sets the home point.
All of that is irrelevant because those things rely on GPS data from the drone's GPS receiver.
what you were trying to do relies on GPS data from your phone.
I just checked UAV Forecast app. It shows 17.6 sats Locked, 18 Visible Sats. Tells me it's Good To Fly. I'm inside my home, which is about 1/2 a mile from where I was flying.
We know that your drone's GPS receiver works properly, but the issue is that the app isn't getting GPS data from your phone.
The reason that it needs data from the phone is because it needs to have the location of the place where the controller has moved to.
It shows a Kp value of 2, not sure what that is.
Kp index isn't relevant to anything

Even if you are unable to reset the homepoint to the controller's location, you can still reset to the drone's current location and in many situations that can be just as useful.
Just fly the drone somewhere close to where you've moved to and reset.

Yeah I can deal with the workaround.

This drone is showing some age, made a couple of hyper lapse videos and it took a good 30-60 seconds in synthesizing the video. Number of shots were in the 300 range so not a long hyper lapse.

I will either upgrade in the next year or two or quit the hobby because there are too many restrictions nowadays.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada