DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't download video files off of iPhone XR- A nuisance that morphed into total frustration. Help?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I've had this problem since last June, but to a much smaller extent. Last year I had to download video files from my iPhone XR one at a time lest I get an error message that said either at the beginning or middle of download "device not functioning". When I'd get that error I'd have to disconnect my iPhone from the PC, replug it and start again. One by one I finally got the 20 or so files off my phone but it was a pain.

Fast forward to today... I have the same issue, but worse. Unplugging-replugging isn't helping at all. I've got two relatively new and powerful PC's and I cannot download my files from iPhone to either PC no matter how many times I've tried. HOWEVER, the files play fine on the phone itself, so why can I not transfer the files to my PC for editing?????

Does anyone have any advice (beside ditching Apple for Android)? I'd made the same recording 3 times over the last two days with no success at all. Help, anyone?

If you follow the article it will work:

Sorry for you going on the internet and getting bad or outdated advice. Could have been done is less than 5 minuten!

If you follow the article it will work:

Sorry for you going on the internet and getting bad or outdated advice. Could have been done is less than 5 minuten!

I reshot the video on my iPad Mini 6. On my Aliengear desktop it would not download in spite of the instructions. I switched to my new laptop (with plenty of horse power) and it FINALLY downloaded.

This problem was first noticed last June when I was on vacation and had to download about 20 small/medium size files. Half the time the downloads didn't transfer with an error message "the device stopped functioning". So I'd unplug and replug and slugged through the downloads. Two hours for about 20 files. Should be been done complete in 15 minutes.

So now I've got a file off my iPad that I can use. But it was a two hour waste of time when I should have been working on the edit all afternoon.

I have to say, having been a Mac guy since 1987 I'm kind of tired with the hoops I have to go through which should otherwise be a snap and a no-brainer.

@vindibona1

Are you using iTunes to do the transfer? If not, it might be worth a try.

You could also try copying the files to iCloud from your iPhone, then pulling them down from iCloud to your PC. But only attempt this if you have a high-speed connection up/down when sending/receiving via iCloud. Otherwise, you will grow old waiting for the transfer.

I reshot the video on my iPad Mini 6. On my Aliengear desktop it would not download in spite of the instructions. I switched to my new laptop (with plenty of horse power) and it FINALLY downloaded.

This problem was first noticed last June when I was on vacation and had to download about 20 small/medium size files. Half the time the downloads didn't transfer with an error message "the device stopped functioning". So I'd unplug and replug and slugged through the downloads. Two hours for about 20 files. Should be been done complete in 15 minutes.

So now I've got a file off my iPad that I can use. But it was a two hour waste of time when I should have been working on the edit all afternoon.

I have to say, having been a Mac guy since 1987 I'm kind of tired with the hoops I have to go through which should otherwise be a snap and a no-brainer.
If you were a Mac guy then would not not airdrop it

Assuming you're talking of videos you shot with the phone?
Go to Settings->Photos and select Keep Originals under the transfer to mac/PC section.

keep-original.png

Otherwise the phone will transcode every file while transferring and that's always been unreliable/crashing all the time.

Only low quality videos exist on the iPhone. The highest quality videos and pix are on the SD card, which is easy to mount on a PC and just drag the files into your folder of choice..

Reactions: bcfd29 and DougMcC
Only low quality videos exist on the iPhone. The highest quality videos and pix are on the SD card, which is easy to mount on a PC and just drag the files into your folder of choice..
Are you saying that if I videotape with my phone, only low rez files exist on the phone? I can understand that if I'm droning and have the images/video "cached" on the phone that would be the case, but don't see how original content filmed with the phone would be low rez. In fact, some of the newer iPhones (of the next gen) will have Pro-Rez one the models with higher storage capability.

I thought you were talking about drone footage. It is low res on the phone, and only high res on the SD card.

I've had this problem since last June, but to a much smaller extent. Last year I had to download video files from my iPhone XR one at a time lest I get an error message that said either at the beginning or middle of download "device not functioning". When I'd get that error I'd have to disconnect my iPhone from the PC, replug it and start again. One by one I finally got the 20 or so files off my phone but it was a pain.

Fast forward to today... I have the same issue, but worse. Unplugging-replugging isn't helping at all. I've got two relatively new and powerful PC's and I cannot download my files from iPhone to either PC no matter how many times I've tried. HOWEVER, the files play fine on the phone itself, so why can I not transfer the files to my PC for editing?????

Does anyone have any advice (beside ditching Apple for Android)? I'd made the same recording 3 times over the last two days with no success at all. Help, anyone?
hMM? Have you checked icloud.com?

Shouldn't this at least be in Off Topic? When I post something unrelated to drones in a thread, it gets deleted. I have a feeling you'd get better treatment, and maybe have this moved?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22