DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't Edit Negative Waypoint Altitude (DJI GO 4)

johnmeyer

Reactions
Short version: I flew in the canyon, below my takeoff point, recorded waypoints during a test mission by pressing C1, but was unable to later edit the negative altitude waypoints because DJI Go 4 insists on always having positive altitude waypoints. So, is there a file I can find and edit in order to modify negative altitude settings?

Long version: I live on a ridge. I want to do repeatable wildfire assessments, flying in the canyon next to the ridge. The ridge itself starts at 400' above sea level and finishes at 1,000' above sea level. I live at 620', so this is my takeoff point. Since the M2Pro will be flying in the canyon, it will start at about 300' above sea level (i.e., 100' below the ridge line, and 320 feet below takeoff point), and finish at about 900', following the ridge line, but staying 100' below the top of the ridge.

I easily set up the waypoints by flying the mission and pressing C1 at various intervals. I then flew the mission in waypoint mode while recording video.

Up to this point, everything worked perfectly.

However, when reviewing the video, I realized I wanted the drone at a slightly different altitudes at various points. So, I opened the waypoint editing function in DJI Go 4, but as soon as I swiped on the negative altitude setting, it immediately went from -320 to +6.

It refused to accept any negative numbers.

Thus, I must re-fly my mission in order to correct the one or two data points and, of course, everything else will change, since I can't fly the mission exactly the same way when flying manually (i.e., not in waypoint mode).

Is there a file I can find and edit which will let me enter and correct these negative altitude numbers? Does Lichti permit negative altitude in waypoint mode?

BTW, even when running waypoints in "arc" mode, any change in the drone's rotation at each waypoint results in a "jerk" in the video. I have seen this documented in other threads and it sounds like a fundamental problem in the M2Pro firmware.

Last edited:
I just checked Litchi and it goes to -200m for a waypoint.
I guess I should just download it and play around.

Just to make sure I understand your response, you are saying that you can edit the -200 meter waypoint? I'm asking because DJI Go 4 lets you enter that negative altitude with the C1 button, and it gets remember and gets used when you fly the mission. The problem only happens when you try to edit that waypoint.

You said Litchi "goes to -200m" which DJI Go 4 does as well when you enter the waypoint information during flight; but DJI Go 4 can't later edit that information.

I went to waypoints, tapped on the screen to place a point, then tapped the point to open the edit window and the slider went down to -200m. I haven't tried it in a mission.

BTW, even when running waypoints in "arc" mode, any change in the drone's rotation at each waypoint results in a "jerk" in the video. I have seen this documented in other threads and it sounds like a fundamental problem in the M2Pro firmware.
If you do try Litchi I would be curious if this behavior is still present.
Personally I think the Litchi waypoints are better overall than the GO4 waypoints.
I use it mostly for Panaramas which I think is also better than GO4.

Yes, you should use Litchi (and VLM). You can go even lower than -200m by using carefully "above ground" setting at waypoints.

I also live on a ridge and almost all of my flights and Litchi waypoint missions are below the takeoff point. No problems. None of the DJI Go4 Intelligent Flight Modes I've tried work with negative elevations. All of Litchi's do. I only use Go4 when I start up the aircraft for the first flight of the day just to see if there are any updates or problems with the aircraft. Then, unless I'm doing a Hyperlapse, I close the Go4 app and fly with Litchi.

I also live on a ridge and almost all of my flights and Litchi waypoint missions are below the takeoff point. No problems. None of the DJI Go4 Intelligent Flight Modes I've tried work with negative elevations. All of Litchi's do. I only use Go4 when I start up the aircraft for the first flight of the day just to see if there are any updates or problems with the aircraft. Then, unless I'm doing a Hyperlapse, I close the Go4 app and fly with Litchi.
Thanks. That's really helpful.

Update: I have to give up on DJI Go waypoints. I finally managed to fly a mission where I got all the waypoints entered by pressing C1, just as I did from the beginning.

However, when I went to fly the waypoint mission, DJI Go refused, giving me a new error message that I'd not see before that said my waypoints were too far apart.

That was a new one.

My conclusion: DJI Go Waypoints is a nice demonstration app, but has way too many flaws to be useful for any serious flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure