DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can't get DJI Fly app on my tablet

railfan-eric

Reactions
I'm frustrated. I bought a new tablet a year ago since the old one was getting too slow and having issues. The new tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 10.1 inch model and it works fine for my friends Mavic Pro 2 when i fly it. but i bought my first drone the DJI Mini 2 since it's cheaper and now i can't use my tablet. wth? I even tried sideloading the app from DJI but then it says "not installed". I didn't buy a special mount to add it to the controller for nothing. How do i get the app on my tablet? My friend uses his ipad on his Mini 2. The mavic DJI Go app is fancier and has more features so i don't understand how a plain jane app won't work on this tablet.

Hello Eric,
The tablets of the A series from Samsung do not work with the new Dji Fly app.
They are therefore not displayed in the Playstore either. The app can be installed as an APK, but does not connect to the drone (Mini 2 & Air 2)
It is because only the newer 64 bit tablets get the app displayed and a connection is established.
I myself use the Samsung S8 tablet with 3GB Ram and it works perfectly. The brightness and the 1080p video transmission are also excellent.

Hello Eric,
The tablets of the A series from Samsung do not work with the new Dji Fly app.
They are therefore not displayed in the Playstore either. The app can be installed as an APK, but does not connect to the drone (Mini 2 & Air 2)
It is because only the newer 64 bit tablets get the app displayed and a connection is established.
I myself use the Samsung S8 tablet with 3GB Ram and it works perfectly. The brightness and the 1080p video transmission are also excellent.
why aren't they compatible? I read something about 64bit being required but have yet to find specs saying what my tablet is. Samsung's page doesn't even say if it's 64bit or 32 bit. The tablets aren't that old and I'm not spending another $200 for a tablet just to use it on the drone. This is disappointing. Seems DJI favors IOS products more then Android from what i gather from reading other peoples comments over the years.

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
why aren't they compatible? I read something about 64bit being required
DJI Go4 was a 32 bit program and would run on older 32 bit tablets as well as more modern 64 bit tablets.
With DJI Fly, DJI has moved to a 64 bit app and you have to have a 64 bit tablet to run it.

but have yet to find specs saying what my tablet is. Samsung's page doesn't even say if it's 64bit or 32 bit.
Here's how to find out what your si:
Seems DJI favors IOS products more then Android from what i gather from reading other peoples comments over the years.
That's a commonly repeated myth, but there's no truth to it.

It's sad but true ... Dji is a bit strange in some things, but this ensures that his products are only used with suitable hardware.
For a tablet with the requirements, however, $ 200 will not be enough, regardless of whether Android or Apple ...

• Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
It's sad but true ... Dji is a bit strange in some things, but this ensures that his products are only used with suitable hardware.
For a tablet with the requirements, however, $ 200 will not be enough, regardless of whether Android or Apple ...
Being on disability I can't afford a nicer tablet. I used some of my stimulus to get the drone but have other things to get with it and save some of it. How many android tablets are 64bit?

Its not so much that DJI likes Apple better but that with only 1 manufacturer and minor variations between models it's just flat out easier to get their apps to work with a broader range of devices. If its an Apple, and less than (x) years old it will work. But look on the android side of things and there are at least 3 Korean companies, 2 Japanese companies, a half dozen Chinese name brands and so on. Plus all the no name knock offs. It's just too hard to keep up.
If you're willing to windowshop for awhile the samsung galaxy tab s6 LITE is usually 350 but you can sometimes find on sale for as low as 250. I got my last one on sale, plus a coupon and 5% off Target red card for $225 including tax and free shipping.

Reactions: Howard70
I'm frustrated. I bought a new tablet a year ago since the old one was getting too slow and having issues. The new tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 10.1 inch model and it works fine for my friends Mavic Pro 2 when i fly it. but i bought my first drone the DJI Mini 2 since it's cheaper and now i can't use my tablet. wth? I even tried sideloading the app from DJI but then it says "not installed". I didn't buy a special mount to add it to the controller for nothing. How do i get the app on my tablet? My friend uses his ipad on his Mini 2. The mavic DJI Go app is fancier and has more features so i don't understand how a plain jane app won't work on this tablet.

DJI FLY only works on 64bit tablets. I have a 2020 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A that works fine with it. Yours must be an older 32bit model.

I actually prefer my Walmart ONN 10.1 "pro" tablet with DJI FLY

My Lenovo 10 FHD is like $150 and works fine. No compass on the screen, but that is no deal breaker as my Moto-Z phone did not seem to have it either.

Always can find a nice used one on eBay or locally with someone selling a nicer tablet. At least in the US.

You are correct. The 10" Tab A does not work. The 8" Tab A SM t290 can sideload the app. The commentator after your first post is uninformed.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
That's not true. My Asus Zenpad Z8s has full functionality and only costs about 80 bux on Fleabay (used).

Have just bought in the UK a Huawei M5 Lite 10.1inch 64 bit from Amazon for £199 it has a compass so the Fly app works fine also has 64gb memory. Bright display and using a non reflective protective screen saver and sun hood can see easily in strong sunlight. Only drawback is that it may not be able to upgrade above Android 8 .. but that is no real drawback. Downloaded the latest Fly app from DJI website. Much cheaper than the Apple alternatives which I doubt aren't any better.

Looking to add the Mini2 to my fleet, any news as to when i will work with the Smart Controller?
Thanks

32bit means 2^32 that is 4gig addressable memory location ceiling w/o spooffing extra addresses with PAE / very out of fashion. Just as 16bit had only64k addresses available. 2^30 =1gig x2x2=4g.
Presently would look for 64bit os to not address 2^64 but have false lower ceiling(s) but necessary to go to 64bit to address more than 4gig memory locations....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan