DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Cape May, NJ Lighthouse

Nice!! I like the descending shot where you keep the camera on the top of the lighthouse. That was a really cool parallax effect. I don't think I've seen that done before. Well done!

Reactions: dronertv
Tell me this was taken July 18th, at least stills 3 and 4. I'm pretty certain I captured the same cloud formation from Lewes, DE, across the bay. If not, sure looks like it ;->

I love the video, the lead in, especially. Well done...

Very nice. Love that first photo - Post Card worthy IMO. The video footage is also very good (10 bit Log?), but the shot from 26 to 48 seconds is very impressive. Was this done with 'Mastershots'
Thank you. Yes, I filmed in Log and color graded.

I did not use Mastershots. I tried it when I got my Air2s and don't think I have touched it since the first flight. What I did was to select the top of the lighthouse with the active track. I then pushed down on the left stick and to the right with the right stick. Because the active track had the top of the lighthouse selected it moved the gimbal up as I descended. So there are three simultaneous movements that maintained consistent motion. That is what made the shot.

I did not use Mastershots. I tried it when I got my Air2s and don't think I have touched it since the first flight. What I did was to select the top of the lighthouse with the active track. I then pushed down on the left stick and to the right with the right stick. Because the active track had the top of the lighthouse selected it moved the gimbal up as I descended. So there are three simultaneous movements that maintained consistent motion. That is what made the shot.
That shot would also work with spotlight. Multi-input moves are key to cinematic filming. Using tracking or spotlight makes those moves so much easier as left and right stick with gimbal tilt is pretty challenging manually. Moves like that are what many pilots are missing in their videos. The gimbal is key.

Good intro shot with the convent/retreat building in the foreground. It’s well lit at sunset.

I did a ton of aerial filming in Cape May earlier this year, returning for Labor Day weekend in a couple weeks. I’ll have to be more diligent in my sunset timing.

Last edited:
That shot would also work with spotlight. Multi-input moves are key to cinematic filming. Using tracking or spotlight makes those moves so much easier as left and right stick with gimbal tilt is pretty challenging manually. Moves like that are what many pilots are missing in their videos. The gimbal is key.

Good intro shot with the convent/retreat building in the foreground. It’s well lit at sunset.

I did a ton of aerial filming in Cape May earlier this year, returning for Labor Day weekend in a couple weeks. I’ll have to be more diligent in my sunset timing.
I misspoke in my previous post. It was not active tracking but using spotlight. I guess they are similar as active track is for moving objects and spotlight for stationary.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Beautiful. I love my Air 2S and your video and photos continue to make me glad I have it. Well done and thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I believe it is the best value in the DJI lineup when you compare price and function. I do a lot of sunset and night work, so I value the Air 2s Camera over the Mini 3. The camera on the Mavic 3 is sure nice but it's hard to justify at twice the price. Maybe I will get the Mavic 3 if I start to do more work professionally.

Reactions: maggior

I misspoke in my previous post. It was not active tracking but using spotlight. I guess they are similar as active track is for moving objects and spotlight for stationary.
Ah, okay that makes sense, because there are 4 control inputs in that shot; Yaw, Aileron, Throttle and Gimbal Tilt. The drone is also yawing left as you manually move it to the right. So Spotlight is handling the gimbal tilt and yaw, while you are manually setting decent and right movement speeds.

The reason I wondered is; as I watched it I could see what it would take to get that movement, and with a typical DJI controller, getting the control of the gimbal tilt so perfect, while at the same time descending and yawing all with one hand would be difficult, but also it would be kinda close to a CSC shutdown mid flight since you would also be moving the right stick to its opposite side.

Either way, it was a great shot! Well done.

Reactions: maggior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78