DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car Power Inverter

mauicamera

Reactions
I'm looking for a small inverter for my car. I'm not very savvy when it comes to Wattage, Volts, etc.

Would this model run the Mavic 2 pro charger?

If not, any good recs for an Inverter?

Thank you, sorry I'm not the brightest bulb (low wattage?) when it comes to Power.

Mahalo,

I'm looking for a small inverter for my car. I'm not very savvy when it comes to Wattage, Volts, etc.

Would this model run the Mavic 2 pro charger?

If not, any good recs for an Inverter?

Thank you, sorry I'm not the brightest bulb (low wattage?) when it comes to Power.

Mahalo,
I would go with their 300w charger. Amazon.com: BESTEK 300Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter Car Adapter DC 12V to AC 110V with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports: Electronics

Reactions: mauicamera
The label on my M2 battery charger shows the input as 100 to 240 Volts at 1.8 Amps. (It's dual voltage which means you can plug the charger into a 120V socket or a 240 volt socket).

Watts = Volts X Amps. -- Assuming you have 120V power where you live, the input will need 120V X 1.8A = 216 Watts. The inverter you're looking at will probably not do the job. The inverter WobblingWillie describes would be a better choice.

Last edited:
The label on my M2 battery charger shows the input as 100 to 240 Volts at 1.8 Amps. (It's dual voltage which means you can plug the charger into a 120V socket or a 240 volt socket).

Watts = Volts X Amps. -- Assuming you have 120V power where you live, the input will need 120V X 1.8W = 216 Watts. The inverter you're looking at will probably not do the job. The inverter WobblingWillie describes would be a better choice.

Okay, thanks for breaking it down, that actually makes sense!

I would recommend Bestek and Tripp Lite as these tend to be quality inverters. I've found many other that simply trip all of the time even on light loads.

Reactions: CallSignShadow
The "pure sine wave" one will give you "cleaner" power. Cleaner meaning more consistent voltage regulation which is needed for more electrically "delicate" items. I don't think that the Pure sine wave one would make a lot of difference if the only thing you're going to be charging is the M2 batteries.

Yes, but if your current draw exceeds the fuse rating (the car fuse) then you'll blow the fuse. I don't think only charging one battery at a time will exceed the 180 watts though.

Reactions: mauicamera
I am wondering why not use a MAVIC 2 PRO battery charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I can use a converter or the cig socket to charge my MAVIC 2 Zoom batteries and found the cig socket method charges the quickest. The cig socket method can charge 2 batteries at the same time were as inverter way on one battery at a time.

Last edited:
I have that one and it works fine

Stock car charger only does one battery at a time.

Note about watts and amps. The rating on labels is max amps and average watts. With switching power supplies, which most are these days, it quickly switches itself on and off. You're better off figuring your watts on the DC side, and allow for loss in the charger itself. A single battery only charges at about 60W.

210W seems high, unless you have a non stock parallel charger, in which case 3 batteries combined would consume around 180W.

Note that no matter what you do, you're likely going to need your car running. In the case of the stock car charger, the cut off voltage is a bit high, and there's a significant voltage drop in the car wiring when the charge cycle kicks in and draws 6A from the 12v.

You would be better off to get the 12V direct plug in charger. The problem with most 120 volt chargers is they are solid state and the inrush (short time load) to start them up will trip the overload breaker on the 120 volt inverters. The recommendation to go "oversized" and not pay attention to the running load is good, but I have seen 600 watt inverts trip when plugging in a charger rated at less than 150 watts. It was a computer charger, but they are the same basic thing (just different voltages) than our M2P chargers.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven