DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Care Refresh Activation

Hillbilly1236

Reactions
I'm looking at getting an M2 with the Refresh and the dealer website states that the Refresh has t be purchased on the same receipt and that the Refresh has to be activated within 24 hrs. The DJI website states that the Refresh must be tied to the RC, the controller and the phone. I don't have a phone yet and it may take a bit before I get the one I will eventually use for this purpose.

So what happens if I don't activate the refresh right away or if I change phones later?

Hi once again Hillbilly. There are a few things we can address. I know you're brand new to this, so may I suggest that in abbreviating when referring to the Mini 2 use either MM2 or Mini2 instead of "M2" which is generally used to indicate Mavic 2 (either pro, zoom or Enterprise). Using M2 might confuse folks coming to the thread late. [MA2 refers to the Mavic AIR 2, also easily confused with the Mavic 2.]

I think DJI Care/Refresh gives you 48 hours to purchase the insurance. I'm not sure if it is the same in Canada, but presume all of North America has the same structure. You WILL need a phone or tablet to fly. When you first activate your drone you will be opening an account with DJI and registering your drone to your account. Changing phones later is no issue because when you open the app on a new phone you simply sign onto your DJI account which is always running in the background when you fly.

Again you WILL need a wifi phone or tablet to hook up to your controller. I'm going to strongly recommend Apple phones as it seems that there are fewer issues with them than Androids (and I prefer Android phones btw). You can by a 6sPlus for around $100 now that will work just fine (which is what I have). Or you can get something newer for more money that you can use as your primary cell phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks again and I seen in one of the other threads that I am using the wrong abbreviation and will correct that from now on. The phone my daughter is giving me is an old IPhone 6 and I have an old Ipad that might work.

I'm still somewhat concerned about not being able activate the Refresh within the allotted 48 hrs.

I'm still somewhat concerned about not being able activate the Refresh within the allotted 48 hrs.
Why is that? The app will prompt you to purchase the coverage when you activate the drone. If you’ve made a decision to purchase it, what would stop you from doing so?

When I bought my MM (from a shop/dealer) the 48hr Care Refresh window started when the drone was switched on and activated and to activate it I needed the phone. So with out the phone I could not have activated the drone.
I did see that if I had bought the MM directly from DJI that I could have bought Care Refresh at the same time as the drone was bought but that was not on offer from the shop, nor would I have used it if it had been on offer.
Why? Frankly I saw and see, buying Care Refresh at the time of purchase as a drawback as I am then using cover whilst the drone is in transit and not at risk, that would have been 3 or 4 days in my case.

I know things are slightly different with the new "Fly away cover " but I doubt the cover is tied to the phone itself. I have seen a post which suggests that the new cover is tied to the DJI 'account' used to 'open' or register or 'whatever' the app. As such any 'phone' should be useable at any time.

Taking all that to be correct then I suspect that you should be able to do as I did and buy the Care Refresh either as part of the activation process or within the 48hrs following activation. If you are hoping to take this route then I would buy the Care Refresh during the activation process just in case something went wrong with the purchase and you needed to get in touch with DJI etc. etc.

It would be nice if someone would confirm or refute that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time in the 1st 48hrs after activation. You may be able to activate it later, but DJI will want a prescribed video showing normal function.

I ordered the MM2 and the refresh with it. My concern is that the refresh is bound to the phone, controller and drone, according to what I read on the DJI refresh site. I think that is to get the flyaway coverage, which I obviously want. I may not have found a phone or other devise within the 48 hrs.

I ordered the MM2 and the refresh with it. My concern is that the refresh is bound to the phone, controller and drone, according to what I read on the DJI refresh site. I think that is to get the flyaway coverage, which I obviously want. I may not have found a phone or other devise within the 48 hrs.
Okay let's set the record straight...Your account is in no way locked to any device you use. So get the phone out of the equation. It simply doesn't matter. To have a DJI account you need a Email and a password...that is it. From there you can log in to your account and do a care refresh from a library computer, Mcdonalds on the guy sitting behinds you phone...whatever.

That Care Refresh option is normally sent to you when activated/before(?) in a Email...Others will have to chime in as I don't use it. You have 48 hours from the time you activated the drone to purchase it (but you already did). You, when you first put the App on any phone (Preferably the one your gonna use, but don't have to be), and turn on your drone it is going to ask you to register for a account, if you have done that prior then (just click log in...insert email..password) from there it just "looks" at your drone and says he is good to fly.....and that is that. Now you have 48 hours from there to activate your Care Refresh plan (Again there is another way but let's just do it within 48 and avoid that hassle)

You can use any device there after..you just turn on the Fly App you install and log in and your flying.
Now once you have Care Refresh the new thing they introduced this week is Lost Drone coverage. This is where you must do a further step in App. And register the controller, so your Fly App has this step built in and does all for you. You go to that section and follow the prompts and it does all that part for you...it is really very easy...don't make it harder than the simple way I described. :) On the last step of Lost aircraft coverage you have the whole one year to supplement that plan into action, but be advised it must be done for that "Rider" of the policy prior to you losing your drone and making a claim so yeah the faster the better. So slow down and take it one step at a time..when you get your Drone...come back in and post and "we" will walk you through it then...quit freaking out :p

If you wish to make your account now on your computer: https://account.dji.com/login
Please write this login info for reference later!!! When you do get your drone..:)

Last edited:
So I checked again and you are correct in that the phone or tablet does not get bound into the refresh registration. So that is good news. I have logged in and now just wait for the new drone to arrive.

Not sure where you get the idea that I'm freaking out but I am as calm as could be. I have dealt with a lot of stress in my life and this is a easy breezy. I'm simply asking questions to gather information.:)

Reactions: Barbara
So I checked again and you are correct in that the phone or tablet does not get bound into the refresh registration. So that is good news. I have logged in and now just wait for the new drone to arrive.

Not sure where you get the idea that I'm freaking out but I am as calm as could be. I have dealt with a lot of stress in my life and this is a easy breezy. I'm simply asking questions to gather information.:)
Sorry just seemed you were stressing over the whole thing...just wanted to make sure you weren't...as long as your calm we are calm ;) Who did you order your system from...any expected ETA? If you haven't done so yet this is the User/Owners Manual...It doesn't come in the box...if you got enough Ink/toner...I find it best to print it out for hard copy. Go through it now and ask questions, when you get your Aircraft go through it again and get a hands on and walk through the pages to get a grasp of what is what, that is my advice and recommendation :) https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/20201130/DJI_Mini_2_User_Manual_EN.pdf

After your unboxing, get your chargers going on those batt(s)...remote will be a few hours to charge. You don't need a phone/tablet to fly it, but recommend as a first timer..you do so...but you can start and stop the motors and check gimbal and such...more just for something to do before it's maiden. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillbilly1236
I recently ordered a Mini 2 with refresh just like you. Its winter here so when the drone arrived it stayed in the packed box for a few days due to cold weather. Once I opened the shipping box, I found the refresh card inside. Then before unpacking the drone, I went to dji's site and set up the mandatory account and activated the refresh. It then asked for the drones serial number which I got from the outside label of the package the drone came in. Then, bingo, everything was registered and a confirmation email followed. All of this was done before I even took the plastic off of the box the drone comes in.

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
Sorry just seemed you were stressing over the whole thing...just wanted to make sure you weren't...as long as your calm we are calm ;) Who did you order your system from...any expected ETA? If you haven't done so yet this is the User/Owners Manual...It doesn't come in the box...if you got enough Ink/toner...I find it best to print it out for hard copy. Go through it now and ask questions, when you get your Aircraft go through it again and get a hands on and walk through the pages to get a grasp of what is what, that is my advice and recommendation :) https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_2/20201130/DJI_Mini_2_User_Manual_EN.pdf

After your unboxing, get your chargers going on those batt(s)...remote will be a few hours to charge. You don't need a phone/tablet to fly it, but recommend as a first timer..you do so...but you can start and stop the motors and check gimbal and such...more just for something to do before it's maiden. ;)
No problem. I was posting on a lot of threads because I was trying to gather information before completing a purchase from a local store that had a sale going and yesterday was the last day. I'm really impressed with how fast the responses came and the amount of help that was offered. I'm sure many of the questions I was asking have been asked a 100 times before and you experienced members are likely tired of answering the same questions over and over but that didn't stop the help from being offered to another Newb.

Thank you all for the quick replies and help.

I downloaded the operators manual last night and have gone through it once so far and also downloaded the Fly App.

I ended up ordering from DronePoint, out of Ontario, Canada. I talked to the guy there a couple of times and he seemed to be knowledgeable and friendly and he had all the items I wanted, in stock. I couldn't find other sellers near me that had everything. It should all arrive sometime mid to late this week.

I recently ordered a Mini 2 with refresh just like you. Its winter here so when the drone arrived it stayed in the packed box for a few days due to cold weather. Once I opened the shipping box, I found the refresh card inside. Then before unpacking the drone, I went to dji's site and set up the mandatory account and activated the refresh. It then asked for the drones serial number which I got from the outside label of the package the drone came in. Then, bingo, everything was registered and a confirmation email followed. All of this was done before I even took the plastic off of the box the drone comes in.
Thanks for the information. It's winter here too and I just came in from plowing snow down the driveway and around the buildings. I still plan on flying the drone when it arrives, as long as it's not raining or snowing. Now I wait and watch more YT videos. The flying part seems straight forward but I'm sure it will be a totally different experience when I fly it for the first time. Just getting familiar with the controls will likely take some time but that's OK. I have time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55