DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catching handle!

ash2020

Reactions
I don't care what anyone says about catching, I don't think its worth the risk. I know its easy but its an accident waiting to happen. In the very unlikely event that something went wrong, you could easily cut a tendon etc. and lose the use of a finger for the rest of your life.
With that in mind, I've made a handle, with a very lightweight bit of carbon tube to use when I've got the floats on. Going to try it out later.
IMG_6724.jpg

I've got a better idea. Just don't hand catch the drone if you're having to do things like attach handles to it.

+1 agreed

Learn to be a pilot. I see no scenario where it needs to be caught. I could land on a boat no problem. I land on the tailgate of my truck after every flight.

You should read your own post again. First, you say that catching exposes the pilot to permanent bodily damage and then you post a picture of a handle that moves your hand about 2 inches further from the props. Brilliant.

+1 agreed

Learn to be a pilot. I see no scenario where it needs to be caught. I could land on a boat no problem. I land on the tailgate of my truck after every flight.

You should read your own post again. First, you say that catching exposes the pilot to permanent bodily damage and then you post a picture of a handle that moves your hand about 2 inches further from the props. Brilliant.

Learn to be polite. There's no need for that attitude.

LOL -You put down every who posts that they catch their drone so you opened with the non politeness. Why didn't you leave off everything before "I've made a handle"? Nothing you wrote before that last sentence was polite, was it?

It was the OP that said hand caching was dangerous. I used to own a 27 ft sailboat. So? If he can learn to land on a landing pad why can't he land on his boat? practice practice practice

Better yet, make a landing pad on the swing bbq mount they make for sailboats.

Its not about practice. I am going to heave to to stop the boat, which means the foresail will be in the middle of the boat, so there is no flat area ahead of the mast. There is nowhere under the boom so the only option is the rear 10 feet of the boat. Of that, the last 3 feet is taken up by split wire backstays at a 70° angle. So you're left with about 7 feet, with 2 people in it and fairly high guardrails. So you have a window of about 3' x 3' and the boat is moving up and down by 1-2 feet on a calm day. I'd rather lean over the side and catch it. If I was motoring it would be simple but with full sail up its more of a challenge.
Regarding home point, the general opinion seems to be that hover is safest. I could easily be 200 yards from the starting home point. The other way I guess would be to update the home point frequently.

Reactions: syzygos7

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143