DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caught and punished in Canada?

Merccooper

Reactions
I’ve been reading the regulations for flying drones in Canada. The basics are pretty straight forward for the hobby flier. I’m curious to hear about pilot’s run-ins with the law and what punishments they received.

Where I fly my drone in Canada about the only individuals that would be upset with my practices would be moose deer beavers bears and foxes.
However there are some places where I fly where float planes have been known to land. It is a very rare occurrence there. And they do have what I believe they call sea based aerodromes where I am sure I shouldn't fly, nor will I.
I have a Summer place in Canada I live in Pennsylvania and the last time I looked it seemed to me that the regulations in Canada are pretty much the same as they were in the United States.
then again where I am flying on the thirty thousand islands of the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, I'm not too concerned about official oversight.

Hey wade I also do most of my flying in remote spots . One of my most popular spots is out at our cabins . Where I’m doing my flying there is normally not a person for 50 miles in any given direction. It’s nice not having to worry about anyone coming up to you and complaining.
1804b1a489d011de37d3f5ed18db1728.png

I fly in my yard and people trespass on my property all the time. I take pictures of them with my drone and they throw rocks at it and hollar get that thing outta here Im calling the cops, I say please do so I can have you ticketed for trespassing and your dog is crapping all over my yard please call the cops oh wait I can do that for you. Freakin people I tell ya.

They may be remote locations but you never know when environmentalists are around. Some of those regs supposedly include potential complaints from those foxes, advocated by those environmentalists.

And what do you think the chance of one of them hauling a side by side out of town 35 miles and then drive that off road unit down one of the many trails and happen to show up at my cabin on our family trap line . I’m not to worried as the cabin is 15 miles to the nearest gravel road . A buddy and I have toured around with our off road sxs and haven’t even come across one person after clocking on close to 150 miles .

Reactions: Rich55 and Porky
I fly in my yard and people trespass on my property all the time. I take pictures of them with my drone and they throw rocks at it and hollar get that thing outta here Im calling the cops, I say please do so I can have you ticketed for trespassing and your dog is crapping all over my yard please call the cops oh wait I can do that for you. Freakin people I tell ya.
You need to add a fast slasing light coupled with a speaker playing machine gun fire on demand, they'll move faster & drop the rocks.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
What app do you use for identifying safe/legal flying locations in Canada? I’m surprised at how many Aerodrome locations there are that are tiny but still registered. Out of curiosity I searched near a house I lived in that was in a small subdivision (30 houses) in the country (some places there that I though would be great to fly) but was surprised to find basically a one person Aerodrome registered with TC that was only about 2 miles away.

Where I fly my drone in Canada about the only individuals that would be upset with my practices would be moose deer beavers bears and foxes.
However there are some places where I fly where float planes have been known to land. It is a very rare occurrence there. And they do have what I believe they call sea based aerodromes where I am sure I shouldn't fly, nor will I.
I have a Summer place in Canada I live in Pennsylvania and the last time I looked it seemed to me that the regulations in Canada are pretty much the same as they were in the United States.
then again where I am flying on the thirty thousand islands of the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, I'm not too concerned about official oversight.

Want to swap for a week ? I will have an experience like you described in the summer..we go to a remote place in the Adirondack mountains in NY where there is plenty of ELBOW + Mavic Pro room ! For now i am limited to a park in the middle of NYC and i am surprised that it is allowed...I know for sure that i am bending the rules,i LAUNCH from the park but the other 95% of the flight is thousands of feet away flying over my home turf of NYC..Very far from where i took off

You could really freak them out if you got the new DJI loudspeaker and yelled back at them!

Reactions: Bobby Brown
I'm fortunate! Where I live in Pa., my biggest concern is spooking a horse pulling an Amish buggy (yes I am cognizant of the issue), and in Canada... while not as isolated as Canuk ( I absolutely love your little "primitive" cottage) I am surrounded by landscapes that are so beautiful, they deserve to be filmed in the best possible manner. I'm just beginning to work on it!

Attachments

• 11  Canada front yard.jpg
    11 Canada front yard.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • 11 canada side yard.jpg
    11 canada side yard.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 11 Pa front yard.jpg
    11 Pa front yard.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 11 pa side yard.JPG
    11 pa side yard.JPG
    683.3 KB · Views: 93
Before one drone operator decided to mess things up I could fly from my backyard . I would sit on the deck and launch from the grass and head out of town . I live on the very edge so I didn’t even fly over anyone property. But some yahoo decided to use his or her drone to bug people and hover over backyards . This fool had drones banned from town limits . I would like to have a chat with this person [emoji35] . So now I need to go elsewhere to fly .

Well Canuck my guess is you're also a hunter. As hunters we need to police our ranks, otherwise we will lose our privileges. As your case so we'll points out.
I am an old grandpa and I have a couple of old grandpa jet skis. I move about in them at less than 30 miles an hour generally speaking. I do not act in any way to be disruptive, yet the sailboat crowd treats me as a pariah.
the events that went down at Gatwick airport in London is not going to help our cause at all.
I have seen a couple of posts from my area on YouTube where people put in their drone videos. To date I have never seen a drone flying around where I am. I guess it will be inevitable. And like the well-behaved people in jet skis drone flyers are going to be looked at as disruptive bad boys.
in those situations perhaps what would be good to do is to go and tell the person to look up on YouTube and they can see drone videos of the area of where they are. That would allow them to buy in so to speak.
That is my plan.

Last edited:
I'm fortunate! Where I live in Pa., my biggest concern is spooking a horse pulling an Amish buggy (yes I am cognizant of the issue), and in Canada... while not as isolated as Canuk ( I absolutely love your little "primitive" cottage) I am surrounded by landscapes that are so beautiful, they deserve to be filmed in the best possible manner. I'm just beginning to work on it!

PRICELESS Setting for any and EVERYTHING

Reactions: Wade Gizzy
I might have been known to break a few Canadian rules by flying higher than allowed and to flying with the drone out of sight the odd time. But I'm also fortunate where I live in Manitoba, Canada...

There are only two houses within a mile of my place and 20 miles away from where I live is one of my favorite flying spots.. It's literally "In the middle of nowhere".

Some great pictures and video. Thanks for sharing those and for sharing your experiences! I still have not unpacked my Christmas drone. I’m finding it hard to justify the cost for how much I personally would be able to fly. Now I found out I can’t even fly at my cottage which is water access only and pretty remote (nearby Aerodrome).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheungy691