DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caution re: B4UFLY somewhat misleading

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As I try to ensure I know where I am and where I am not allowed to fly I have realized that the B4UFLY app can be a bit misleading. The issue seems to be that the app shows any area where you are not allowed to launch as a forbidden zone. There are many instances where you can launch on public land and fly over areas where you are not allowed to launch from and the B4UFlY app, as far as I can tell, makes no distinction and provides an alert "Restricted Operations" category for any area that does not allow you to launch a drone. National Parks, some State Parks and other areas forbid flying from them but remain clear to fly -over- them if launched from outside the park. Restrictions and issues arise regarding harrasing wildlife, endangering people and such but that's another kettle of fish. A website for the NPS admits, without really saying it outright, that it is legal to fly over National Parks if you launch from outside the park. I have no plans and don't know of any place where launching outside a Nat'l Park boundary would be useful but I did run into this exact issue with a State Park. I am just trying to come to grips with the fine lines of legalities and have some local issues I have discussed here recently that pertain and realized the B4UFLY app was somewhat misleading. The only rulemakers, as far as I can tell, with regard to where you can and can't fly, is the FAA. Where you can and can't launch is up to the land owner or agency in charge of the land you launch from. That also doesn't mean you won't be harrassed or threatened by some authority...another separate kettle :). One FAA website mentions "Local Restrictions: In some locations, drone takeoffs and landings are restricted by state, local, territorial, or tribal government agencies. The FAA has provided No Drone Zone signage that can be used by these governments to identify areas where there are local flight restrictions. It is important to note, these No Drone Zones only restrict taking off or landing and do not restrict flight in the airspace above the identified area.
I hope this sheds some light on a touchy subject with too many subtleties for my tastes. As always, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not. LOL

To my knowledge, there isn't a single authoritative source, and the app certainly isn't going to be able to effectively address edge cases like launching from an acceptable area to overfly an area that would be restricted otherwise.

What am I ? Chopped meat? lol. Totally agree, which is why I'm spending so much time trying to nail down what is real vs what folks spout off. It's easy to spout off. I would know :). What I have taken from my look-see is that the FAA fly zone map is the authoritative answer where the question is "where can my drone fly". The answer to "where can I launch from" can only be learned from the owner or governmental body in charge of that area. Even then it appears one might expect to be confronted by people or even law enforcement that does not know the regs as a good friend was recently, flying carefully and legally when a woman accosted him who simply hated UAVs.

As I try to ensure I know where I am and where I am not allowed to fly I have realized that the B4UFLY app can be a bit misleading. The issue seems to be that the app shows any area where you are not allowed to launch as a forbidden zone. There are many instances where you can launch on public land and fly over areas where you are not allowed to launch from and the B4UFlY app, as far as I can tell, makes no distinction and provides an alert "Restricted Operations" category for any area that does not allow you to launch a drone. National Parks, some State Parks and other areas forbid flying from them but remain clear to fly -over- them if launched from outside the park. Restrictions and issues arise regarding harrasing wildlife, endangering people and such but that's another kettle of fish. A website for the NPS admits, without really saying it outright, that it is legal to fly over National Parks if you launch from outside the park. I have no plans and don't know of any place where launching outside a Nat'l Park boundary would be useful but I did run into this exact issue with a State Park. I am just trying to come to grips with the fine lines of legalities and have some local issues I have discussed here recently that pertain and realized the B4UFLY app was somewhat misleading. The only rulemakers, as far as I can tell, with regard to where you can and can't fly, is the FAA. Where you can and can't launch is up to the land owner or agency in charge of the land you launch from. That also doesn't mean you won't be harrassed or threatened by some authority...another separate kettle :). One FAA website mentions "Local Restrictions: In some locations, drone takeoffs and landings are restricted by state, local, territorial, or tribal government agencies. The FAA has provided No Drone Zone signage that can be used by these governments to identify areas where there are local flight restrictions. It is important to note, these No Drone Zones only restrict taking off or landing and do not restrict flight in the airspace above the identified area.
I hope this sheds some light on a touchy subject with too many subtleties for my tastes. As always, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not. LOL
Not my B4UFLY or Aloft. If I am NEAR a restricted zone, it will tell me the restriction and HOW FAR AWAY it is. That does not mean the immediate area I am at or will be flying from.

Also non of the major apps show much of anything related to state or local zones - mostly federal. It does tell you about jails, prisons, helicopter operations, and such that may not be federal.

The key is what does DJI / the drone require. If you are outside a zone - you can fly pretty unrestricted UNTIL you fly close to a zone or one of DJI's "geofence" zones. Then if allowed, it will just require you to acknowledge the "restrictive zone" and as long as logged into your DJI account - you keep right on flying.

So, guess bottom line is you'll have to be more specific to a zone that you have encountered. A generic statement does not help us help you. State "where" you are / want to fly and what you see from B4UFLY so WE can look at it and possibly help you understand the issues.

What am I ? Chopped meat? lol. Totally agree, which is why I'm spending so much time trying to nail down what is real vs what folks spout off. It's easy to spout off. I would know :). What I have taken from my look-see is that the FAA fly zone map is the authoritative answer where the question is "where can my drone fly". The answer to "where can I launch from" can only be learned from the owner or governmental body in charge of that area. Even then it appears one might expect to be confronted by people or even law enforcement that does not know the regs as a good friend was recently, flying carefully and legally when a woman accosted him who simply hated UAVs.
You're mixing apples and oranges and that doesn't help clarify to HELP YOU. What some civilian claims who hates drones is not always the law - we see that often? Even showing such a person you are legal to fly will probably do little but make them madder for you questioning them.

As for expecting everyone in the government body you contact to know the rules is kind of funny. Most have NO CLUE. Yet, if they hear the word drone - they instantly say NO (many times). Finding a knowledgeable person who knows the rules and maybe even some authority may or may not happen.

I have found that the apps are not always clear or post same info, esp around NPS type zones. Some give a blanket coverage, whereas others can and do show spots where there is no such coverage. That is why I use the B4UFLY web based version on a large screen and zoom in hoping to find such spots. Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't.

Reactions: Dronecation
If you look, for instance, at the Grand Canyon or another Nat’l Park I think you will see the entire area in red and a warning with regard to flight. I can’t imagine that our B4UFLY apps act differently. It is that red warning that I find misleading. It would imply, to many people, that you can’t fly over such an area but in fact you can fly over it, you simply can’t launch from within in it.

Reactions: Dronecation
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000