DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cautionary tale (Mavic Pro Newbie more money than sense)

Being new to the world of drone pilots, I made the mistake a lot of you more experienced souls warn about, I wish I read them before “TURNING ON MY DRONE” (in the living room) the first thing that scared the life out of me was the sound, it was amplified because of the enclosed space, and of course it could not get a gps fix so it farted towards me and of course I panicked [emoji22] “yes I’m an idiot I know” the drone seemed to look at me and if it had a voice said “why have you summoned me? I looked at it, it looked at me and then it attacked, smashing into my finger as I tumbled over.

**** this is not a toy, visibly shaking I composed myself and removed the smashed blades with my cut and trembling fingers, I decided to read some instructions, but like the fool that I am I became impatient and decided to try again, this time hiding behind the door and peeping around the corner into the living room, (by the way this was on Christmas Day) so I stated it up again and surprise surprise it did exactly the same thing.

Well after that I joined this forum and spent two days reading and watching YouTube videos.
Good news is I took it outside in the rain [emoji102] and had a successful flight. Wow **** scary but I lived to tell the tale.

You are not alone! I did the same thing even after reading the 'do not fly inside' warnings. I just intended to power up to get a reaction from the cats but it immediately rose up and began to drift toward my lap. I stuck my hand out and got a really good thwack on the thumb before it crashed into the carpet. It was a stupid thing to do and luckily no damage to me, the drone or the cats. I learned my lesson about powering up inside. My BF was just sitting there in his recliner shaking his head at me while I sucked my bleeding thumb "Didn't you just read about 4 warnings that said not to do that??"

Reactions: PJNEWPILOT2018
You weren't stupid, you were ignorant. You didn't know what you didn't know. I'll save stupid for the people who do things they know they shouldn't do by regulations, or simple decent concern for the non-droning public. You unknowingly risked your drone and TV, furniture, etc. The stupid ones risk other person's safety and risk forcing the government to stomp on our hobby.

I hear that

the $25 is a middle man for faa regs,it costs $5 and the $20 is for using their service but you can go directly and get licensed for $5

Thanks for the heads up! Went straight to the FFA site and saved $20.00.
Geo

If you want to fly indoors:
  • Get some prop guards and don't fly indoors without them.
  • Set RTH to hover.
  • Start with it facing away from you for proper stick orientation (right/left and forward/back sticks match movements).
  • Run in Tripod mode.
  • Stay away from drapes, plants, anything light that can get sucked into props.
  • Stay at least a foot from ceiling. If you get too close it will suck itself to it.
  • After flying inspect motors, gimbal, and fan intake for hair and other debris. You will find out how dusty your house really is once you fly in it.
If you insist flying indoor, may I suggest you also turn off Obstacle Avoidance and Vertical Position Sensors (Downward Vision System)? I've tried only once, - for abt 10 secs, - enough to tell me this is risky business....

Reactions: PJNEWPILOT2018
If you insist flying indoor, may I suggest you also turn off Obstacle Avoidance and Vertical Position Sensors (Downward Vision System)? I've tried only once, - for abt 10 secs, - enough to tell me this is risky business....
You are right about turning off the obstacle avoidance sensors but the downward sensors may be better left on. It depends on the floor but the downward sensors will use the floor as a visual cue to maintain position. Without it the Mavic will tend to drift a little more. It may even be pushed around by the wind it creates. You do need to be aware that with the downward sensors on it will try to maintain a minimum distance from objects below it, so if you fly over something it may raise up un-expectantly.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique