DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell Phone data/wifi and M2P relation?

QuattroPilot

Reactions
Hey guys, new member here, got my M2P about a month ago and logged about 5 hours of flight time and 189,000 feet total so far, got my Part 107 cert. Absolutely loving this machine, no real issues to note. I was finally confident enough to fly it about 3,500 ft away (out of VLOS) yesterday, and performed flawlessly.
Anyways, my only question at this point is what exactly is the correlation between cell phone data/wifi usage and the drone?
When I'm at home I typically have my iphone connected to my home wifi, (iphone xr on verizon, dji go4 app)

Is there any reason to stay on wifi or should I disable wifi and use cell data when flying? Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to maintain the strongest connection to my bird.

TIA!

Welcome to the sport and the forum.

I don't see any point in having wifi on, on the phone. The drone does not use wifi but its own method. As a matter of fact, some folks disable calling too to avoid any distractions while flying. You can probably put it in airplane mode since the phone communicates via the usb cable to the controller.

Oh, Montana - Big Sky Country - that has to be enjoyable.

Welcome to the sport and the forum.

I don't see any point in having wifi on, on the phone. The drone does not use wifi but its own method. As a matter of fact, some folks disable calling too to avoid any distractions while flying. You can probably put it in airplane mode since the phone communicates via the usb cable to the controller.

Oh, Montana - Big Sky Country - that has to be enjoyable.

Oh great idea, I will have to use airplane mode next time thanks!
And yes, some amazing country over here and seeing it from 400 feet above is a whole new perspective I'm thoroughly enjoying!

The only thing your mobile device WiFi or cell data do for you during the flight is to download the map ... if you go airplane mode don't forget to pre-cache the maps over the area you will fly in before you go off grid.

You have 3 thing's from your mobile that you can use to assist during flight ...

1. As said, WiFi or cell data for map downloads on the fly.
2. GPS turned on in your mobile will show a blue dot on the map in GO4 marking where your device (your RC) is & then you can with the drone airborn switch the HP to where the RC is if you move away from the launch HP.
3. Your device compass ... if kept calibrated it will make your "Radar view" in GO4 accurately show you the direction to the drone assisting you to point your RC in the best direction.

Anyways, my only question at this point is what exactly is the correlation between cell phone data/wifi usage and the drone?
Is there any reason to stay on wifi or should I disable wifi and use cell data when flying? Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to maintain the strongest connection to my bird.
Your Mavic doesn't use cell data or wifi.
Neither have any importance to maintain connection, so it won't matter what you do with them.

Hey guys, new member here, got my M2P about a month ago and logged about 5 hours of flight time and 189,000 feet total so far, got my Part 107 cert. Absolutely loving this machine, no real issues to note. I was finally confident enough to fly it about 3,500 ft away (out of VLOS) yesterday, and performed flawlessly.
When I'm at home I typically have my iphone connected to my home wifi, (iphone xr on verizon, dji go4 app)

TIA!
There is no reason to have WiFi on. Don’t know is you have played with “Shortcuts” on IOS. I wrote a short cut that turns up the brightness and volume on my phone, turns on Do Not Disturb and opens the DJI Fly app. It also reads the local weather and reads the current wind speed out loud. All this with the push of one button. Then I wrote a second shortcut that puts everything back to normal when I am done.

TIA!

I am not a member of the internet police but just a friendly reminder (since you have your 107 I'm sure you know) that the FAA regulation is you cannot fly your drone beyond visual line of sight even in the wide open spaces of Montana. I know, the odds you would lose contact with the drone and cause an injury or damage are less than someone being struck by lightening twice in two days but those are the rules.

Reactions: Mac Man
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenbookwriting