DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular data requirement when using a tablet with the MA2?

Jeff2020

Reactions
MA2 Flyers,

I am willing to show and/or demonstrate my ignorance through this question in hopes that your answers will satisfy my need to know....

SITUATION:
I want to fly the MA2 with the Tripltek tablet. The Tripltek can accept a SIM card and maintain access to a cellular network. It would obviously be an additional expense.

QUESTION:
Part 1: I have read that I need a cell connection in order to have my maps view in the DJI Fly app. True or False?
Part 2: If a connection is needed to utilize the map, is there a way I can "pre-load" maps of where I'll be flying before leaving the house?

Thanks as always for your responses, solutions, suggestions, and for withstanding the level of ignorance regarding such matters.

Jeff2020

Assuming the MA2 works the same as other DJI drones
Qu 1) if you want live maps ....yes, you need a connection......BUT......somehow you can cache or save maps before you lose wifi and then use those pre recorded maps, in which case the answer becomes no, you do not need a live connection.

You could also use a mobile phone to 'feed' maps to the tablet but that's using network data allowances etc.

Qu 2 ) addressed in the above answer, though I have not yet worked out how to do it. lol

Reactions: Jeff2020
MA2 Flyers,

I am willing to show and/or demonstrate my ignorance through this question in hopes that your answers will satisfy my need to know....

SITUATION:
I want to fly the MA2 with the Tripltek tablet. The Tripltek can accept a SIM card and maintain access to a cellular network. It would obviously be an additional expense.

QUESTION:
Part 1: I have read that I need a cell connection in order to have my maps view in the DJI Fly app. True or False?
Part 2: If a connection is needed to utilize the map, is there a way I can "pre-load" maps of where I'll be flying before leaving the house?

Thanks as always for your responses, solutions, suggestions, and for withstanding the level of ignorance regarding such matters.

Jeff2020
Yes, go to Google Maps before you leave home and download the maps for the area that you will be flying.

Reactions: Jeff2020
Man just open up the fly app while on WiFi move around the map to where your flying and turn off WiFi and leave the fly app open so it cashed when you arrive done. Have fun
NOTE: He said cashed (cached), not crashed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada