DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charge Controller while Flying?

gregw

Reactions
This is a just in case scenario, but can you charge the Mavic Controller while flying? e.g. connect the controller to an external USB power pack and then connect the phone using the USB port on the bottom?

I saw from Tom's review that it took almost 2 hours to charge the controller from 15% to 100%, so just wondering if it can be charged while flying...

Ed, can you also let us know how long the controller will last? The Mavic is a camera platform, and I envision using multiple battery packs in a day, so it would be nice to know how many packs I can use before the controller is out of power.. Could you please also let us know if the power pack will charge the phone at the same time?

I've already ordered 3x extra batteries and may get more at a later date if required.

My current estimation is about 2 hours so you should get a full day of flying on a charge. It is a 2S 950mAh lipo. It does charge my iPhone at the same time. That is a drain as well. Better to start with a fully charged device.

My current estimation is about 2 hours so you should get a full day of flying on a charge. It is a 2S 950mAh lipo. It does charge my iPhone at the same time. That is a drain as well. Better to start with a fully charged device.
Thanks for the estimate :D

I am waiting for the RC to deplete the full charge that it has on it now. I connect to the bottom USB connector and will be attaching my emergency power supply to the micro USB connector.

I am waiting for the RC to deplete the full charge that it has on it now. I connect to the bottom USB connector and will be attaching my emergency power supply to the micro USB connector.
This will be a good test, I normally fly 3-4 batteries in a day and it would be great if the RC can charge from my 37 watt power bank (10000mAH) as it will just fit in my pocket.

The RC charges the phone. If the power supply charges the RC then yes it charges both.
Does the controller only charge via Micro USB? So if you charge and fly you connect your display to regular USB port?

I have not tired that as I do not have the production cable. I connect my iPhone to the full sized USB port. I will say that the micro USB does supply video and telemetry to the device.

Question with the extra USB port on the controller

If we have a phone connected to the controller with the supplied cable can we add a longer cable to the backside USB port to let somebody next you you view the same flight on a second device like an iPad?

Question with the extra USB port on the controller

If we have a phone connected to the controller with the supplied cable can we add a longer cable to the backside USB port to let somebody next you you view the same flight on a second device like an iPad?
No,
Only one port will be active with the side micro USB having priority.

Reactions: panoramia
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98