DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

charging from a usb-c port through a dc adapter?

Reactions
hi guys,

has anyone tried charging a mavic air battery from a usb-c port with the help of an adapter like this:

5V DC 5.5 * 2.1 mm Power Jack USB 3.1 Type C USB C Type c 5.5mm *2.1mm Mini USB & Micro USB DC Power Connector Adapter-in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

and a charging cable like this:

Charging Cable Adapter for DJI MAVIC AIR Battery to DC 28cm Balance Charger Rubber Battery Charging Cable RC Part & Accessory-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

?

judging from the voltage/amps given/needed, it seems to me that this should be possible, which would be a huge advantage for me, by making me able to use a usb-c equipped powerbank, but i'm no electrical engineer, so it's entirely possible that i'm missing something.

thanks in advance for any advice!

I doubt it. The Air charges at 13.2v. If anything it would allow the Air to be a power bank if it has electronics to convert the 11v down to 5v, though it is unclear what the second link really is.

I doubt it. The Air charges at 13.2v. If anything it would allow the Air to be a power bank if it has electronics to convert the 11v down to 5v, though it is unclear what the second link really is.

hi, what do you mean by "convert the 11v down to 5v"? for example this powerbank:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B078PCV1NF/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ABIN1LBTDHA7P&psc=1

is capable of giving out 12v/3a or 14.5v/2.5a on its usb-c port, which seems sufficient for the battery.

I don’t think the USB C port is wired internally to even charge the battery.

I don’t think the USB C port is wired internally to even charge the battery.

hi, what kind of wiring does it need? in my understanding the charging port from any kind of charger (be it a factory dji charger, a third party wall-charger or a power bank) just have to provide the requisite current, all the other stuff is handled by the "intelligent" battery. is this not so?

hi, what kind of wiring does it need? in my understanding the charging port from any kind of charger (be it a factory dji charger, a third party wall-charger or a power bank) just have to provide the requisite current, all the other stuff is handled by the "intelligent" battery. is this not so?

Well inside the Air the USB port would need to be wired up to charge the battery - as in physically connected to it. I don’t think the USB port in the Air is physically connected to charge the battery and is only wired to read the internal memory and memory card.

Well inside the Air the USB port would need to be wired up to charge the battery - as in physically connected to it. I don’t think the USB port in the Air is physically connected to charge the battery and is only wired to read the internal memory and memory card.

ohh, i see, you misunderstood me, sorry, maybe i was confusing, english is not my first language. no, i don't want to use the usb-c port on the air at all. what i want to do is this:

1: take a powerbank with a usb-c outlet port

2: stick this into it:
5V DC 5.5 * 2.1 mm Power Jack USB 3.1 Type C USB C Type c 5.5mm *2.1mm Mini USB & Micro USB DC Power Connector Adapter-in Computer Cables & Connectors from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

3: attach this charging cable to the former adapter:
Charging Cable Adapter for DJI MAVIC AIR Battery to DC 28cm Balance Charger Rubber Battery Charging Cable RC Part & Accessory-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

4: charge the mavic air battery with this setup, which should be theoretically possible given that the usb-c port of the powerbank cranks out 2.5amps at 14.5volts.

is this really possible, or am i missing something?

Reactions: ShurikenSky
Apologies, yes I had misunderstood. It may work and I suspect the product linked to above may just be all of that in a single unit.

I too though am sticking with a car charger for now but a fully portable system would be interesting.

yeah, that is a much simpler option, unfortunately where i usually go during my travels, cars can't follow :)

unfortunately the link doesn't work on my phone for some reason, but i suspect it leads to the big black powerbank with the flashlight and the little "Yx" symbol on top. well, i was lanning to buy one of those from aliexpress, but my problem with it is that other than having dc ports to charge the mavic batteries, it doesn't seem to be that good a powerbank. it's clunky, the power density seems to be low, and the max discharge current rating of its dc ports is actually lower than what a pd port is capable of, and what can be utilized by a mavic battery.

so i've done some digging, and found the above linked iwalk powerbank, which, according to reviews, seems to be an all around much better piece of gear, that is why i'm planning to put together this setup.

well, if i gather the funds and finally try it, i'll post some updates.

Powerbanks put out higher voltages if the USB data lines on the device being charged sends the correct QC protocol information. OTherwise they only put out 5v.
I believe the protocol is applying specific resistance on the data lines on startup.

As for the Air to Coax cable, I can see only two purposes: you apply the 13v charge voltage to it using an appropriate power source, or it is a power bank adapter that outputs 5v on the coax plug, where you use the correct coax to USB form factor adapter.
Unfortunately the description of what that cable is is unclear.

Powerbanks put out higher voltages if the USB data lines on the device being charged sends the correct QC protocol information. OTherwise they only put out 5v.
I believe the protocol is applying specific resistance on the data lines on startup.

As for the Air to Coax cable, I can see only two purposes: you apply the 13v charge voltage to it using an appropriate power source, or it is a power bank adapter that outputs 5v on the coax plug, where you use the correct coax to USB form factor adapter.
Unfortunately the description of what that cable is is unclear.

oh, i see... well, you're right, that coud be an issue. do you know that if the battery accepts the higher voltage, the powerbank would send it, or does it have to be the specific protocol in all cases?

the cable i believe is like an accessory to this charger:
Rcharlance 5 In 1 Intelligent Drone Battery Charger 150W Fast Parallel Batteries Hub For DJI Mavic Air/Spark/Mavic Pro/Phantom-in Drone Battery Chargers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

looking at the pics i'm hoping that it has a standard dc-plug, and i can connect it to the linked adapter.

Charging via USB C will not work. DJI did not add support for it, as there is no balance charging circuit built into the MA

Charging via USB C will not work. DJI did not add support for it, as there is no balance charging circuit built into the MA

hi,
why would it need one? there is a balance charging circuit in the battery itself, isn't there? besides, i'm not planning to keep the battery in the air while charging it :D

You can't charge to 12v with only 5v.
I researched QC, it is believed the phone applies certain resistance to the USB data lines in order for the bank/charger power lines to output 9 or 12v.

ohh, i see, you misunderstood me, sorry, maybe i was confusing, english is not my first language. no, i don't want to use the usb-c port on the air at all. what i want to do is this:

1: take a powerbank with a usb-c outlet port

2: stick this into it:

3: attach this charging cable to the former adapter:

4: charge the mavic air battery with this setup, which should be theoretically possible given that the usb-c port of the powerbank cranks out 2.5amps at 14.5volts.

is this really possible, or am i missing something?

Hi,
Did you try the setup you described here? I see you were looking for a solution nearly a year ago, and I'm hoping you found one that works. I'm looking for a Mavic Air charging solution while trekking.

Hi,
Did you try the setup you described here? I see you were looking for a solution nearly a year ago, and I'm hoping you found one that works. I'm looking for a Mavic Air charging solution while trekking.

hi,

no, unfortunately i still haven't solved this issue. i've ordered a usb-c data-faker from aliexpress to allow for connecting a mavic air charger lead with a dc barrell-connector to a usb-c power supply, but the only ucb-c adapter with which i've tested it causes overcurrent protection to kick in in the battery.

so, you'd either have to find a powerbank with exactly the right power output, or employ a variable voltage regulator in the chain, for which i haven't yet had neither time nor money to burn, unfortunately :(

Reactions: ShurikenSky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh