DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chasing Hot Air Balloons

BingErr

Reactions
Just as an advance argument. I believe when 2 aircraft are in the same airspace the smaller aircraft must yield and not go under, over, or in front of the larger craft. Anyone Part 107 that knows the exact rule? So yeah, I was only chasing them from behind and beside, never in front, over, or under.

I believe when 2 aircraft are in the same airspace the smaller aircraft must yield and not go under, over, or in front of the larger craft. Anyone Part 107 that knows the exact rule?
Size has nothing to do with it. Powered aircraft must give way to non-powered aircraft. See FAR 91.113 (b) and (d) 1. Balloons have right of way over all other aircraft. You may not fly over/under/in front of "unless well clear".

Last edited:
Size has nothing to do with it. Powered aircraft must give way to non-powered aircraft. See FAR 91.113 (b) and (d) 1. Balloons have right of way over all other aircraft. You may not fly over/under/in front of "unless well clear".
Makes total sense. Thanks!

Nice! Thanks for an awesome video!

Or, Manned Aircraft vs Un-manned Aircraft. And, (as you said) (1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;

Being super cautious around lighter than air craft would be my advice. It's not really beyond logic that a UAS could easily slit a balloon envelope in a heartbeat. Given the still somewhat flaky control and navigation systems used in the DJI birds today, aside from outright disaster, it wouldn't take much for a balloon pilot to lodge a complaint with the FAA which could lead to an investigation, which can be a pain in itself.

Years ago, I was photographing an entire balloon ascension from a manned aircraft (door removed). Was well clear, of all the balloons, circling them as they rose. Sure enough, I got a call from first the chief of the local class d tower stating a balloon pilot claimed I was too close, followed by an FAA investigator. Had to do a telephone interview, and a follow up call "cautioning" me regarding flying around balloons. I was in the clear, as I had been advising the tower during the flight of both my position and intentions (which the balloonists may not have been aware of if they were not monitoring the tower frequency).

I've thought about getting such images/video with the M2P, but have declined because it's just not worth the potential outcomes.

As a balloon and UAS pilot my main concern is yes, stay "behind" the balloons direction of travel. If you want to circle around then make sure you make an elipse shape with the wider distance infront of the balloon. Discuss it with the balloon pilot first. If you're filming ascents then ensure your return to home height allows for a balloon inflating, standing up and then taking off.

Feedback from the balloon pilots would be interesting
Doubt they even noticed. I stayed behind or to the side of them. And I did digital zoom on most shots. Def not as close as it looks on the video. I tagged 2 companies that sponsor the balloons on Facebook so if they want to contact me I made it easy for them. Nothing so far

Being super cautious around lighter than air craft would be my advice. It's not really beyond logic that a UAS could easily slit a balloon envelope in a heartbeat. Given the still somewhat flaky control and navigation systems used in the DJI birds today, aside from outright disaster, it wouldn't take much for a balloon pilot to lodge a complaint with the FAA which could lead to an investigation, which can be a pain in itself.

Years ago, I was photographing an entire balloon ascension from a manned aircraft (door removed). Was well clear, of all the balloons, circling them as they rose. Sure enough, I got a call from first the chief of the local class d tower stating a balloon pilot claimed I was too close, followed by an FAA investigator. Had to do a telephone interview, and a follow up call "cautioning" me regarding flying around balloons. I was in the clear, as I had been advising the tower during the flight of both my position and intentions (which the balloonists may not have been aware of if they were not monitoring the tower frequency).

I've thought about getting such images/video with the M2P, but have declined because it's just not worth the potential outcomes.
Great info. I made it easy for them to contact me, but as I mentioned, I doubt they even noticed. I used digital zoom in most of the shots so I PERSONALLY didn't think I was that close. But then again "too close" is highly subjective. Thanks for the info.

Doubt they even noticed. I stayed behind or to the side of them. And I did digital zoom on most shots. Def not as close as it looks on the video. I tagged 2 companies that sponsor the balloons on Facebook so if they want to contact me I made it easy for them. Nothing so far
Oh they would have noticed alright.
If you have ever been in a Hot Air Balloon one thing that is striking is the silence. You hear everything up there (even people talking on the ground sometimes) because you are moving at exactly the same speed as the wind. So the noise of your UAS would have attracted their attention for sure.
It would then be easy to spot against the sky.

I fail to understand why anyone is speaking about size of "aircraft" and powered or unpowered. This is neither of those things. It is a _manned_ aircraft vs _unmanned_ aircraft. Unmanned aircraft should _never_ interfere with the flight of manned aircraft... period.

Here is the issue... if the pilot of that manned aircraft filed a complaint with someone I can almost assure that the operator of the drone is at _best_ going to have some tough questions to answer which are going to be very uncomfortable. At worse, charged with this offense. The drone operator is then free to fight those charges and see how a judge feels about a drone being operated around a manned aircraft with very little ability to avoid a drone.

It is all about perception.

Personally, I'd also think twice about posting such a video. I could see someone notifying the FAA and then someone making a phone call to discuss.

Reactions: The Editor
Oh they would have noticed alright.
If you have ever been in a Hot Air Balloon one thing that is striking is the silence. You hear everything up there (even people talking on the ground sometimes) because you are moving at exactly the same speed as the wind. So the noise of your UAS would have attracted their attention for sure.
It would then be easy to spot against the sky.
That's what I was thinking too and why I raised the question. I've been on a balloon ride also and the first thing you notice is how quiet it is, well until they light the burner. But that's a fairly short burst.

I fail to understand why anyone is speaking about size of "aircraft" and powered or unpowered. This is neither of those things. It is a _manned_ aircraft vs _unmanned_ aircraft. Unmanned aircraft should _never_ interfere with the flight of manned aircraft... period.

Here is the issue... if the pilot of that manned aircraft filed a complaint with someone I can almost assure that the operator of the drone is at _best_ going to have some tough questions to answer which are going to be very uncomfortable. At worse, charged with this offense. The drone operator is then free to fight those charges and see how a judge feels about a drone being operated around a manned aircraft with very little ability to avoid a drone.

It is all about perception.

Personally, I'd also think twice about posting such a video. I could see someone notifying the FAA and then someone making a phone call to discuss.
BTW, here's an interesting article of a drone hitting a balloon, and the legality of flying a drone around a hot air balloon.
According to the article "Hot air balloons are manned aircraft under FAA rules. The obligation of UAV pilots and operators is to yield to manned aircraft. Pilots should not operate a UAV in any manner that poses a risk of collision with a manned aircraft."
Since I was never in the flight path of the balloon, under/over, or getting dangerously close I think I was perfectly within my right to fly here. Also, as the article states, the FAA has the right to issue a temporary NFZ, so if they felt too many hot air balloons would be over my city then they could have restricted drone flights.

I think that what is written between the lines of many of these answers is what happens if your drone does its own thing . That makes it beyond your control. many posts here suggest that does happen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial