DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheap waterproof case

LivinLarge

Reactions
My other hobby (obsession) is whitewater rafting and kayaking. I needed a really durable case for the Mavic that was truly waterproof, not just splash proof, that would carry the Mavic, 3 extra batteries, phone and charger.
I found this one today at Harbor Freight.
Watertight Protective Case - Medium
With a 25% off coupon it was $22 and change. It is a well built case with a gasket seal and purge valve. It came with pick and pluck foam and top and bottom foam cushions. Quality wise, it is comparable to Pelican cases.
There is room inside for the complete fly more kit as well as another battery and a small tablet or phone.
I have tried several different arrangements of items including one that would allow me to keep the phone installed in the remote arms. There is enough height in the case to have the batteries vertical and the Mavic on it's side. The charger, spare props and cables would fit in a layer under the remote.
I have another cheap case which is sort of waterproof except for the zipper. I found that I can fit it entirely inside the case from Harbor Freight or simply remove the foam block from that case and drop it in this one.
DSC07755.JPG DSC07756.JPG DSC07758.JPG DSC07763.JPG

My other hobby (obsession) is whitewater rafting and kayaking. I needed a really durable case for the Mavic that was truly waterproof, not just splash proof, that would carry the Mavic, 3 extra batteries, phone and charger.
I found this one today at Harbor Freight.
Watertight Protective Case - Medium
With a 25% off coupon it was $22 and change. It is a well built case with a gasket seal and purge valve. It came with pick and pluck foam and top and bottom foam cushions. Quality wise, it is comparable to Pelican cases.
There is room inside for the complete fly more kit as well as another battery and a small tablet or phone.
I have tried several different arrangements of items including one that would allow me to keep the phone installed in the remote arms. There is enough height in the case to have the batteries vertical and the Mavic on it's side. The charger, spare props and cables would fit in a layer under the remote.
I have another cheap case which is sort of waterproof except for the zipper. I found that I can fit it entirely inside the case from Harbor Freight or simply remove the foam block from that case and drop it in this one.
View attachment 26821 View attachment 26822 View attachment 26823 View attachment 26824

Good find and thinking outside the box (case?).

If I were kayaking, I would still not trust the wateproofness of these cases, because even a small debris (or part of what's inside the case, like a strap) gets on the seal, it's no longer wp, and there's no way to know that. I'd still put it inside wp bag specifically made for water activities, since you can confirm its wpness by compressing and seeing if it holds air pressure.

Pretty interesting. I went with the SKB case for $70 and the Polar Pro hard case runs in the $60 range on sale. Me and Harbor Freight have had a up and down relationship. I'm not sure I'd trust my $1,300 worth of equipment to a $20 case if I were going rafting. Just my 2 cents.

Of course, it could easily be just as good without the branded up charge. I honestly would be nervous! That bad boy would get a day's work of soaking in a bucket empty before I trusted my drone to it.

81385qUL7tL._SL1500_.jpg

Good find and thinking outside the box (case?).

If I were kayaking, I would still not trust the wateproofness of these cases, because even a small debris (or part of what's inside the case, like a strap) gets on the seal, it's no longer wp, and there's no way to know that. I'd still put it inside wp bag specifically made for water activities, since you can confirm its wpness by compressing and seeing if it holds air pressure.
I have taken several of my drones and other expensive camera equipment on extreme whitewater trips over the years. It is important to check the seals every time as you close the box. I have often sealed cameras and things in a ziplock bag inside the waterproof box just in case it leaks. Last year I did 2 extended rafting and camping trips, 6 days on the San Juan River and 7 days on the Hells Canyon section of the Snake River. I took my Typhoon H in a semi waterproof case. Had to seal the zipper with duct tape. It survived just fine in spite of being briefly submerged and cooking in temps of up to 117 degrees F.
In the kayak this box would be inside the boat under the spray skirt and should not get wet unless I have to pull the skirt and swim.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Pretty interesting. I went with the SKB case for $70 and the Polar Pro hard case runs in the $60 range on sale. Me and Harbor Freight have had a up and down relationship. I'm not sure I'd trust my $1,300 worth of equipment to a $20 case if I were going rafting. Just my 2 cents.

Of course, it could easily be just as good without the branded up charge. I honestly would be nervous! That bad boy would get a day's work of soaking in a bucket empty before I trusted my drone to it.
I agree that some of their products are of questionable quality, but this looks really well made. I will do some testing without the expensive gear before taking it on the water.

Towards the end of this video you can see the Typhoon H case strapped to the raft.

I agree that some of their products are of questionable quality, but this looks really well made. I will do some testing without the expensive gear before taking it on the water.

A reasonable course of action in my opinion.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000