DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheapest android tablet compatible with Mavic Pro 2?

I've settled for now on the Huawei MediaPad T3 10 9.6", with 3gb ram for $250.
If I have problems with it, I can return it no questions asked within 30 days.

I would give up the hobby, if I had to use Android with DJI GO 4 again
Only if you used an inadequate Android device.
There is nothing wrong with Android for flying with the DJI Go app.
The problem is that there are many to choose from and the app is very resource hungry.
If you try to use a tablet that is not up to the task, (Apple or Android) you will be disappointed.
But there are plenty of great Android flying tablets.

The problem is that there are many to choose from and the app is very resource hungry.
If you try to use a tablet that is not up to the task, (Apple or Android) you will be disappointed.

No. There are no Android devices that perform as well as even old Apple devices...somewhat kidding.

I have the Crystalsky Ultra, which uses as pure a form of Android as can be used.
It is far brighter than Apple, and has a beautiful display, but it also has a slight lag. I have not ever downloaded, or side loaded any apps into it, and it still does not perform as well as my old iphone 6.

DJI states on the Mavic box...Made for iphone. I understand DJI has changed the wording somewhat since the initial release date of the Mavic, but back when...Made for iphone. Any other verbiage is simply inclusive marketing.

I imagine under optimum conditions (non competing apps, forced shutdown, and other streamlining efforts) that one may stumble upon an Android device that works better than other Android devices for a period of time, but why bother trying to figure out which ones? I've tried the DJI recommended Android, and spent hours reducing it to a shell of it's former self, and ...crap. How much time and money should one spend chasing Android, when a $300 iphone will work flawlessly? Need a bigger screen? ipad mini 4... $200... with cellular.

I am not an Apple devotee. In fact, I thought those who lined up over night to get the latest Apple device were lunatics.
I have an iMac. It's a beautiful screen, but being used to Android for so many years I think the file saving structure/hierarchy of the iMac is simple, but inflexible. I resent iTunes, and the influence it has had on other empires seeking self serving closed financial ecosystems.

When it comes to flying a DJI drone, my experience recommends Apple all the way!

Last edited:
I imagine under optimum conditions (non competing apps, forced shutdown, and other streamlining efforts) that one may stumble upon an Android device that works better than other Android devices for a period of time, but why bother trying to figure out which ones?
You might imagine that but you would be wrong.
And the Crystalsky tablets have great screens but are let down by the performance of the tablet.
I've tried the DJI recommended Android, and spent hours reducing it to a shell of it's former self, and ...crap. How much time and money should one spend chasing Android, when a $300 iphone will work flawlessly? Need a bigger screen? ipad mini 4... $200... with cellular.
DJI's recommended list is a joke.
They rarely update it and they don't test many devices.
The best tablets are not on their list at all.
In the old days, the Nvidia Shield K1 was widely acclaimed as the best flying tablet but it never appeared on DJI's list.
These days the app has put on weight and needs a faster processor and more RAM.
The old K1 is no longer the best flying tablet.
The best Android tablets for flying are probably the Huawei M3 and M5.
I've been giving them a tough workout for a year now and both perform flawlessly and with no effort required to configure them to run with the DJI Go app.
Plenty of other users have adopted them since and all have reported very good results too.

The only GPS receiver you need for the map and everything else (except for Follow-me flight and Resetting the homepoint to the current location of the controller) is already inside your drone.

That is not 100% correct. The map shown on the mobile device uses the mobile device's GPS to produce the map. With a mobile device that has GPS, you don't even have to have the drone connected for the map to show where you are.

That is not 100% correct. The map shown on the mobile device uses the mobile device's GPS to produce the map. With a mobile device that has GPS, you don't even have to have the drone connected for the map to show where you are.
No .. I was 100% correct.
A GPS unit does not produce a map.
It just gives latitude and longitude location data.
The map you see comes from the app and the position on it is the position that the app gets from your Mavic.

No .. I was 100% correct.
A GPS unit does not produce a map.
It just gives latitude and longitude location data.
The map you see comes from the app and the position on it is the position that the app gets from your Mavic.

Partially correct. The map indeed comes from the app however the location of the RC on that map comes from a GPS enabled device attached to it.

Partially correct. The map indeed comes from the app however the location of the RC on that map comes from a GPS enabled device attached to it.
Obviously a location for the RC comes from the RC but the location shown for the home point comes from the GPS inside the Mavic.
ANd unless you've traveled away from the launch point, that's going to be near enough to the same point.

Obviously a location for the RC comes from the RC but the location shown for the home point comes from the GPS inside the Mavic.
ANd unless you've traveled away from the launch point, that's going to be near enough to the same point.

I do not believe we are talking about Home Point. The last use of my Mavic was about 4 miles away. When I just powered up the RC now without the aircraft being on, the location of the remote was updated. However I will edit my response and say that perhaps it is getting it from Wi-Fi. My wife’s tablet is not GPS enabled. I’ll run a test later this week.

Tried a Galaxy Tab A. Ran DJIGO4 fine. No video. Too bad, display was nice. Took it back.

FYI: I just flew my Mavic 2 Zoom yesterday with my wife's Samsung Tab A 8" and it worked great. There didn't seem to be any lag or any other problems.

Some devices that don't have GPS but have cell can interpolate location by tower triangulation. I don't think it can determine location by Wi-Fi, except maybe by the access point public IP.

Some devices that don't have GPS but have cell can interpolate location by tower triangulation. I don't think it can determine location by Wi-Fi, except maybe by the access point public IP.
Phones and tablets will give location data from wifi or cell towers but DJI will only accept actual GPS data to reset the homepoint or for follow-me because the other ways are nowhere near accurate enough.

FYI: I just flew my Mavic 2 Zoom yesterday with my wife's Samsung Tab A 8" and it worked great. There didn't seem to be any lag or any other problems.

I bought one of these last week from BB and it was a nice tablet at a great price. The GO4 app ran fine but would not display video. Had to return.

You might want gps on your phone so you can use Find My Drone for when it flys into the woods. Pretty ridiculous not to have gps in any phone or tablet these days.

I'm new to drones and have been flying my M2Z with a Galaxy Note 9 and it works perfectly. Software updates on the other hand are woeful. After some research it seems that it's a common thing on the Android platform. I connect my fiance's iPhone and it updated straight away.

I have just left Apple entirely and gave away my Apple mini 4 to my mates kid lol, so now I am looking for a cheap and suitable Android tablet for flying too. As good as my phone is, a bigger picture would be helpful.

I picked up an Asus Zenpad 8” refurb off eBay for $75. Works but the power button is directly in the middle on the right side. PIA because I have to clamp it off center in the MavMount. Flew twice so far, seems like no lag. Bought a Galaxy Tab A and no video. Returned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22