DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheapest reliable android phone for dedicated use with mavic pro?

torqum

Reactions
I had been using an LG G5, which worked perfectly. But after upgrading to the Oreo operating system the phone can no longer connect to the controller. This made me realize that using a drone with your everyday phone is a horrible idea. I'd like to have a phone that I only use for flying. I don't need it to do anything else. What phones do you all recommend? I don't want to spend more than $150, but also don't want Litchi to crash on it.

Not sure what you mean by "cheap". Compared to retail on my Galaxy S8, the refurbished iPad Mini4 at $240 I got seemed pretty cheap and does an excellent job with a screen of almost 30 sq. inches compared to 13 for the S8. And it fits in the Mavic Air control arms just fine.

My Huawei phone works great still, I just checked. I keep it in my case for backup in case the iPad gets low flying both MP and MP2 consecutively.
I paid $50-60 for it and the screen is Bright!
I’ve read that a lot of the Huawei phones and tablets work well.

170Eu for that phone and iPad mini 4 cost. here 450Eu
I paid $600 USD for my Galaxy when it was new (2 years ago). The iPad at $240 USD was refurbished, so not new. The point I was trying to make is that an iPad mini is a very good alternative. I am pretty sure that an iPad Mini3 would do the job just fine. These can be had on eBay for <$200. The view you can see is so much better.

does the mini ipad 4 have to have gps

It doesn’t need to, but it’s less work if it has it. You can get the wi fi with cell, just don’t activate it. You can use your phone for a Hot spot to download info and maps. Read up on this here, there’s been plenty of threads about it.
I use a Mini4 with wi fi and cell. I only wish I bought one with more memory.

My Huawei phone works great still, I just checked. I keep it in my case for backup in case the iPad gets low flying both MP and MP2 consecutively.
I paid $50-60 for it and the screen is Bright!
I’ve read that a lot of the Huawei phones and tablets work well.
Greetings MIchigan- What model Huawei are you using?

Hi all new of the forum, I was asking this question, and I think I found a really good answer. LG G5 is still for sale, in the range of the €200 with shipping where I'm based, but it has 1Knit and looks really good. Downside is battery life is not as long as the CrystalSky, but if you dedicate the time and remove all the junk on there that drains it, then you are getting a good deal. The LG G6-7 are also good choices but a little pricier.

The best hing about the LG G5, the performance of the DJI Go app is great, and not crashing all the time like on other android test setups I have tried.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54