DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chicago Drone Laws for a Part 107 Certified Pilot

BMHDAP

Reactions
I’m heading into Chicago this weekend to capture some shots of the architecture and buildings. Just want some tips on how to stay legal and fly within the local ordinance. Thanks!

Also, I see phots like this on Instagram all the time and I’m wondering if they are legal or require special permits. I know the FAA requires flight under 400agl and seeing photos like these make me question if pilots are flying under the FAA guidelines.
IMG_0520.JPGIMG_0521.JPG

There could be no issues regarding the height those photos were taken, depending how far from the buildings the drone is. Remember, if you are within 400’ of a tall structure, you can fly up to 400’ above that structure as well, regardless of how high off the ground you are. The 400’ agl rule is out in this case!

The one issue seen in the first photo that could be a problem is time of day - it may have been too late into the evening to fly, as for the way the exposure of that photo looks. The second photo looks timed within the regs, it was taken while the sun was still up.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMHDAP
There could be no issues regarding the height those photos were taken, depending how far from the buildings the drone is. Remember, if you are within 400’ of a tall structure, you can fly up to 400’ above that structure as well, regardless of how high off the ground you are. The 400’ agl rule is out in this case!

The one issue seen in the first photo that could be a problem is time of day - it may have been too late into the evening to fly, as for the way the exposure of that photo looks. The second photo looks timed within the regs, it was taken while the sun was still up.

Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: AMann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralph.smith.mckenzie@gmai