DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Chicago Lakefront, Grant Park, and Navy Pier (4K)

FoxFlight Drone Video

Reactions
Site
foxflight2020.com

Filmed over the course of two days from Grant Park and near Navy Pier in Chicago. I wanted to add a 3rd day to launch from down by the museum district and Solider Field, but the Bears were playing on Sunday (and I was there!) so there was the usual TFR, and Monday was not conducive to flying. That said, I got a ton of good footage of the area.

Notable landmarks are, of course, Buckingham Fountain, the Michigan Ave. skyline across from Grant Park, Millennium Park, Cloud Gate (a.k.a. "The Bean"), Navy Pier, and the Chicago River where it joins Lake Michigan.

Filmed with: Mavic 2 Pro
Edited with: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020
Music: "Save It" by Edythe A Elkinson (via Adobe Stock License)

Filmed over the course of two days from Grant Park and near Navy Pier in Chicago. I wanted to add a 3rd day to launch from down by the museum district and Solider Field, but the Bears were playing on Sunday (and I was there!) so there was the usual TFR, and Monday was not conducive to flying. That said, I got a ton of good footage of the area.

Notable landmarks are, of course, Buckingham Fountain, the Michigan Ave. skyline across from Grant Park, Millennium Park, Cloud Gate (a.k.a. "The Bean"), Navy Pier, and the Chicago River where it joins Lake Michigan.

Nicely done. I wil, however, always miss Miegs Field.

That’s so cool! Just made one myself over the weekend… beautiful isn’t it?

Great shots and beautifully put together, well done. Chicago should buy that as a tourist information video. So there is no legal problems flying over people and around downtown Chicago then? I didn't think that was allowed, I must take my drone when ever I visit there again. Thanks for posting, nice choice of music too.

Bravo! Beautiful footage of a beautiful city. I was born and raised there on the north side, and left there after medical school and internship. I loved seeing all of the old and the new buildings. The lakefront is gorgeous as was Grant Park and Buckingham fountain, Navy Pier, and the marina. Well done flying, editing, night flying, and great music selection.

Dale
Miami

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Nicely done. I wil, however, always miss Miegs Field.
I agree... with Flight Simulator 2 as the first thing I bought for my Apple 2c back in the 80s, Meigs was kind of a staple. But, as a drone pilot, if it was still there, I wouldn't have been able to get these shots, right?

Great shots and beautifully put together, well done. Chicago should buy that as a tourist information video. So there is no legal problems flying over people and around downtown Chicago then? I didn't think that was allowed, I must take my drone when ever I visit there again. Thanks for posting, nice choice of music too.
"Over people" and "around downtown Chicago" are two different things. Obviously, hovering over a concert at Millennium Park would be frowned upon. But there is nothings saying that I can't fly around where I did. Chris Biela and Tom from TAPP Channel are both based in Chicago and have flown plenty around there. (In fact, I did lunch with Chris during the weekend I was there... about 2 hours before my Navy Pier shots.)

As with most things, if there aren't specific rules the best rule to follow is "don't be dumb."

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Well done flying, editing, night flying, and great music selection.
The flying is one thing, but I don't screw around with my video production! Thanks for the compliment in that regard.

That’s so cool! Just made one myself over the weekend… beautiful isn’t it?
Checked it out. Good work. As mentioned, I wish I had been able to pull off more launch points while I was there. Oh well.

I'll be in the City today (live in the suburbs) and was thinking about launching from the Adler Planetarium parking lot or end of Navy Pier. I've unlocked the area in DJI's Flysafe database because it shows the entire downtown area as an "Authorization Zone." I've seen videos of Chicago Police threatening to take away drones with the justification they're outright illegal everywhere, but it looks like you had no problem. I don't want to go to all the trouble of going to either of these locations and then have my new Mavic 3 taken away. Let me know if you had any resistance from the police.

I'll be in the City today (live in the suburbs) and was thinking about launching from the Adler Planetarium parking lot or end of Navy Pier. I've unlocked the area in DJI's Flysafe database because it shows the entire downtown area as an "Authorization Zone." I've seen videos of Chicago Police threatening to take away drones with the justification they're outright illegal everywhere, but it looks like you had no problem. I don't want to go to all the trouble of going to either of these locations and then have my new Mavic 3 taken away. Let me know if you had any resistance from the police.
Flown downtown many times. No authorization was needed, but there was a max height in SOME areas. For example if you know where Burnham Harbor is, there is a 492ft limit going north 1 mile, but other than that I haven't noticed any restrictions. Also I was on a moving boat so it might be a little more difficult for the police to catch me.

Reactions: dolphindrone

Music: "Save It" by Edythe A Elkinson (via Adobe Stock Licens

Beautiful footage - awesome job!💜 I want to be just like you when I grow up.😄

That was really spectacular! loved seeing all of the great views I recall, since I grew up on the north side (Send High School and lived near Crawford and Peterson). I have spent many years enjoying the Chicago Lake Front, went to summer school at Navy Pier, and even worked downtown for a semester at the Rexall Drug Store. Also, enjoyed the concerts at Grant bandshell, Buckingham Ftn., etc. You captured everything perfectly. It was in the times of **** Daley and Chicago was a safer place.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
Reactions: kalimah
That was really spectacular! loved seeing all of the great views I recall, since I grew up on the north side (Send High School and lived near Crawford and Peterson). I have spent many years enjoying the Chicago Lake Front, went to summer school at Navy Pier, and even worked downtown for a semester at the Rexall Drug Store. Also, enjoyed the concerts at Grant bandshell, Buckingham Ftn., etc. You captured everything perfectly. It was in the times of **** Daley and Chicago was a safer place.

Dale
Miami
Lived there 1984 to 1994 - Glen Ellyn, Oak Park and Chicago west side. Loved it there and still visit often.

That was really good, and I'm not often a fan of city videos. The daytime stuff was good, but the night shots really made it. The Lightsaber fight was a pleasant surprise.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom