DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese Charger / Warning

Maybe this crude illustration can add a little more clarity:

shock.gif

I have one of the potentially offending chargers bought early August 2017, so I thought I'd better check. I'm pleased to say that the case is grounded as it should be.

I did the “repair” as soon as I received mine. Not sure how (or, if) this thing ever received a UL rating?

Many thanks to the people who posted up the videos & earlier threads on the problem and solutions.

This same company now makes a multi-battery charger for the Spark, but the case is plastic.

Is there any insulation layer preventing the circuit board from ever touching the outer case? Even the most basic cheap computer power supplies have this..

Also has anyone ever measured the power output claimed by this unit? It's rated for 4.5A x 13v which should equate to 58w per channel or about 170w under 3 batteries but In my own testing the unit reaches about 130-140w or about 3.4A per channel. Although good value I somehow feel it's specifications are overstated?

Have not measured the power, but compared to DJI charger its fast, charging three batteries at the same time, takes less than 80 minutes.

Reactions: Clinton1
I don't know enough to say whether the below "review" video of the charger with the noted ground connection fixed is worthwhile of your views, but it may assist in determining whether you want to shell out your money for the charger or not. Seems like they fixed it - but i'm no electrician.

So this is why mine sparks out when I plug it into the wall? I was wondering. New project for later today and before my next charge.

Thanks for this.

Mike

Have not measured the power, but compared to DJI charger its fast, charging three batteries at the same time, takes less than 80 minutes.
In a single battery scenario I found the DJI charger significantly faster then the yx charger. Tested from a 10% charger stock charger completed in 68 min vs 90 min on stock charger.
Was wondering if it's just mine? Is the yx charger throttling back because of heat? Or is its specs just overrated?

It sparks because there is large capacitor in there, thats why the leds stay on for several seconds after its unplugged.

another point
the cable delivered with the charger does not have ground wire to the plug
Item is shipped with a variety of different cables... Mine has ground plug but is unusable because in Europe we use other plugs....

I received this famous type of charger from China.
I was trying to find the new type with ground and EU plug for my Country .
So when i received , before i use it , i check with my digital voltometer , if there is ground connection ,because is very important for the safety , or not.
I surprised , when i realized that the ground connection exists for fun .Because of the chassis paint of the charger .
So i proceed to this simple modification to resolve this stupid problem.
Cleaning from paint for better contact to body.
Sorry for my Eng.
nice catch! that is poor QC that you caught well!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edy44