DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese drones are spying on Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the Aug 2017 ICE memo that summarized security threat created by DJI. We tend to scoff here at notion that anyone would benefit from stealing pictures of our summer vacations. I think the more serious concerns, however, include embedding DJI into US military, law enforcement and infrastructure as well as allowing any country to dominate 80% of world wide drone market.

I have long wondered how DJI Aeroscopes could help US law enforcement catch anyone unless DJI agreed to provide owner registration data as it may deem necessary at its sole discretion. And now I wonder, what if DJI sent to all its good friends and partners in US government, law enforcement, critical infrastructure like dams and railways, fire departments, etc. that use its drones a friendly email with a little button to click to update software with a not so friendly secret payload....but, I am assuming that the government employs real smart ever vigilant people who know all about computer security and stuff to protect us, right?

Last edited:
Do you realise that their own people can freely travel to and across the USA, with their own cameras and drones and directly photograph whatever they might be interested in.

The popular idea of drone imagery being mined for espionage value is just laughable and would be rejected as a comic book plot line.
It also misses the point that DJI doesn't get access to your imagery anyway.
Yeah, they've been doing it for years...often wearing masks too ?

Refer to one of my previous posts re: Sat Imagery. I was in that business for almost 3 decades. What I can say is that as far back as the mid 70s, sats could read the title of a newspaper on a clear day. There have been improvements in all mil sats. sUAS imagery cannot be compared to the sophisticated imagery of todays sats. And we no longer require clear skies either. True, there might be knowledge gained with sUAS images taken parallel to ground, but that is probably insignificant in strategic value.

If that kinda resolution is publicly available, imagine what's "Top Secret".

DJI is not the problem, never will be.

Here is the Aug 2017 ICE memo that summarized security threat created by DJI. We tend to scoff here at notion that anyone would benefit from stealing pictures of our summer vacations. I think the more serious concerns, however, include embedding DJI into US military, law enforcement and infrastructure as well as allowing any country to dominate 80% of world wide drone market.

I have long wondered how DJI Aeroscopes could help US law enforcement catch anyone unless DJI agreed to provide owner registration data as it may deem necessary at its sole discretion. And now I wonder, what if DJI sent to all its good friends and partners in US government, law enforcement, critical infrastructure like dams and railways, fire departments, etc. that use its drones a friendly email with a little button to click to update software with a not so friendly secret payload....but, I am assuming that the government employs real smart ever vigilant people who know all about computer security and stuff to protect us, right?

I can't help but wonder, why do the people here who feel that China is such a threat, buy DJI products?

Ok guys I know topics like these are a slippery slope to post in
with out making political comments but if I have to delete 1 more
i will close this so keep that in mind when posting.

This is not directed at you scoble08 you posted while I was typeing.

Interesting to see the twist that takes place in these threads. Often they become laughable.

Reactions: Steel63
Everything that goes through a Chinese server is available to the CCP. I'm sure that detailed video of our airports, military bases, electrical grid, radio infrastructure, bridges, power plants, and lots of other stuff is of interest.
Nothing that can't be gotten from Google Earth or Google Maps.

This kind of story reminds me of the scare years back that Saddam Hussein was plotting to buy millions of Sony Play stations to build a diabolical supercomputer. I'd be much more concerned with who's tapping our phones.

Reactions: ch5richards
That piece is just recycling old nonsense that's been debunked many times in the last few years.
Oh lord, here we go again. Do people not read the other posts on here?1608575331344.png

Reactions: Rudiger
I,ve got alot of desert video that should keep them busy for a while trying to figure out what i,m doing lol

Or harder for consumers.
So far all they can learn from my videos is that I have one coyote out in the field, four donkeys, one horse, and a hawk that takes offense when I fly my drone.

How can we be sure no video or photos are being sent to Chinese servers? The only way I can think of is to disable LTE connection on the phone when using the DJI app. For now, this seems reasonable and acceptable for me to do. If for whatever reason the app requires DJI to have internet connection, I will take a hammer to the drones on YouTube and never buy another DJI product again.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
When we (USA) can make bette drones than DJI then we can say good bye to DJI. Meanwhile our intelligence agencies need to focus on the real dangers of the recent break-ins and not trying undercut consumers in order to help Autel and Skydio.

Don’t see it happening well not in my time I plan to stay in this hobby but if it did I would just stop flying before I got ether of those. If you think ether of those are totally made in the USA you are naïve.

Did you notice the name of the person writing that article and the web site it originated from. Disinformation propaganda to instill fear.

"Drones made in China and operated by Americans map U.S. infrastructure, agriculture, railroads, government buildings, power plants.....

People unfamiliar with drones read this stuff don't realize that the DJI drones use Google maps, and think "OMG, I just saw one fly over my house, I'm target locked by the PRC."

The whole article is an op-ed, with links to other op-ed articles. No cite-able evidence. Huumm, seems like I've heard that a lot lately..

It did refer to one DHS memo that I found, the one piece cite-able evidence and they didn't link it...?
It had some seemingly logical conjecture.

Reactions: MaxE1955!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman