DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy video feed

gjanu

Reactions
I use an iPad mini 2 when I fly my MAVIC. I started flying at about end of January 2017 and since then I upgraded the DJI GO 4 app in my iPad about five times. Ever since the update that introduced the "fixed wing" flying mode, the video feed to my iPad started being choppy, it would freeze for several seconds at a time and then update. It got worse after a support for DJI goggles was introduced, and even worse after a SPARK support was added. The choppy video has been especially bothersome in intelligent flight modes, like "point of interest" circling around a subject. It made it impossible to properly control the MAVIC camera and make a good video. I made an assumption that the added application code presented an additional computing load to the iPad CPU. So I downgraded from DJI GO 4 app version 4.1.2 to version 4.0.5. I am happy to report a success. I tested the video feed under exactly the same conditions and it is perfect again, no freezing etc.
I am very interested in comments of others experiencing the same problem...

I made the mistake to upgrade the app on my iphone to 4.0.8 and started having the same issue too. What procedure did you follow for the downgrade?

I'm on 4.1.4 & video is choppy, litterly unwatchable, Jezz!!

I've done some more testing and verified that the choppy video problem is NOT related to the newer versions of the DJI GO4 app. The choppy video problem is caused by the warmer outside temperatures causing my iPad Mini 2 to overheat. The typical sequence, after a few minutes of flying on warm days, is: video feed becomes choppy, then the DJI GO4 app shows a message "The mobile device CPU is fully loaded, performance will be affected", then eventually, the iPad will shut down with an "Overheated" message. Check out my final successful solution here: Solution to choppy video on iPad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4