DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Chute Canyon & Buttress, Spectacular Sunset Drone Sequence Finish

et another San Rafael Swell delight! This one starts off a bit slow in the canyon but really gets intense for the summit extravaganza!!! Please join me on another wild ride. . .
Hi Karl,
this area is so awesome and I envy you a bit! Incredibly huge canyons and rock formations, just sensational and overwhelming!
From time to time I was afraid for you, because there were some passages that did not look very easy and you manage these with only one arm...You are a crazy guy, of course I mean this in a positive sense! ?
With your saying: Holy **** I don't think so I had to laugh out loud. And also where you say: down with 140MPH ?
I enjoyed the video very much and again got to know a new fantastic area, unfortunately only virtually, but at least better so than not at all!
I wish you continued fun on your adventures and take good care of yourself! Thanks for showing, was again super interesting!
cheers and have a great weekend my friend!
Paul a fan of yours
??

Paul,
If it makes you feel any better I envy your advanced camera skills. . . maybe not too many notice the little things but, I do and know very well it does not come easy. And as you know, those skills and resultant creations are born of hard work and often much frustration.
Just like me on this adventure, Chute canyon was ok but hot and slow in the sandy wash, still beautiful but also work and then, getting up the buttress was NUTZ! I got dead ended a bunch of times, many, Oh No! moments. Almost one more time when I did that SCARY leap, it was scary! Almost lost one of my water bottles too. My GPS track log looked like the web of a blind spider up there. . . When I said "Holy Molly" I had just found that super unlikely deep crack/chimney that was the only way onto that giant block. I know since I went ALL OVER the place looking in a frenzy as the light was fading. . . I finished the hike and bike ride back to the campsite in darkness. I was afraid I was going to ride right by my truck that was 100 yards off that main road. . . I ate dinner at 9:30PM. . . Grass is always greener. . . That next day was way crazier too. I battled hard up temple mountain to find the last little bit EXTREMELY TERRIFYING and for me! No camera present for that part, no way. . .
We are just lucky to have a bunch of skilled hard working guys on the forum so we can all enjoy one another's strengths as well as learn together. . .

Yet another San Rafael Swell delight! This one starts off a bit slow in the canyon but really gets intense for the summit extravaganza!!! Please join me on another wild ride. . .
Thank you so much for sharing the adventure; you gave me access to what I can only dream of getting to (ski accident destroyed my back a few years back). Beautiful video, wonderfully presented from every vantage from terra (not so) firma to the stunning shots from the drone. Subscribed on you tube and shared with my son who now resides in Colorado (he films with a GoPro 360 and I'm trying to get him to take one of my Mavics).

Again, thank you and beautifully done; I'm glad I saw every second of it.

If it makes you feel any better I envy your advanced camera skills. . .
Hi Karl,
oh that is very nice, that you for the nice compliment ?
Just like me on this adventure, Chute canyon was ok but hot and slow in the sandy wash, still beautiful but also work and then, getting up the buttress was NUTZ! I got dead ended a bunch of times, many, Oh No! moments. Almost one more time when I did that SCARY leap, it was scary! Almost lost one of my water bottles too. My GPS track log looked like the web of a blind spider up there. . . When I said "Holy Molly" I had just found that super unlikely deep crack/chimney that was the only way onto that giant block. I know since I went ALL OVER the place looking in a frenzy as the light was fading. . . I finished the hike and bike ride back to the campsite in darkness. I was afraid I was going to ride right by my truck that was 100 yards off that main road. . . I ate dinner at 9:30PM. . . Grass is always greener. . . That next day was way crazier too. I battled hard up temple mountain to find the last little bit EXTREMELY TERRIFYING and for me! No camera present for that part, no way. . .
We are just lucky to have a bunch of skilled hard working guys on the forum so we can all enjoy one another's strengths as well as learn together. . .
Thanks also for all the additional interesting infos about your incredible adventure of deads ends and other scary moments that you have experienced. When you were looking for the way to go around the huge rock i was afraid for you, OMG! You cooked something for yourself? You were really lucky to find your camper in the dark again, wow! ?
thanks again for sharing this crazy adventure with us, it was a big pleasure! ?
cheers Paul

Thank you so much for sharing the adventure; you gave me access to what I can only dream of getting to (ski accident destroyed my back a few years back). Beautiful video, wonderfully presented from every vantage from terra (not so) firma to the stunning shots from the drone. Subscribed on you tube and shared with my son who now resides in Colorado (he films with a GoPro 360 and I'm trying to get him to take one of my Mavics).

Again, thank you and beautifully done; I'm glad I saw every second of it.
I am very glad too, this was one of my major goals. We can all have a wild thrilling and unique experience. I just love reliving it while I edit as well. So nice to see it all again with out any stress or discomfort though generally my stress levels are low or I stop filming to have more focus. This one was a bit more stressful knowing darkness would make the descent tougher but I have GPS tracking on and a head lamp so I can even handle darkness with little issue as long as I have a track to follow. I'm sorry to hear about your back, I also have chronic low back issues from skiing, lowest disc is 10% of normal thickness from hammering moguls for 25 years, I regret that. . . . but luckily it has not been a show stopper yet. . . . I know I'll be glad to have my video scrap book when this stuff is too much for me. . .
I hope your son watches a few videos. Using different cameras for different applications can really open things up, I phone for dynamic range and decent stabilization, go pro for rough use on selfie stick, gimbal camera, Pocket 2 for complex vertical to horizontal panning shots and remote framing using the phone remotely in conjunction as the viewer. . . That worked GREAT on an up and coming video where I composed 3rd person climbing shots while on the climb! The drone is unrivaled for demonstrating scale and displaying the macro environment. I encourage you to check out some of last summer's adventures, climbing Colorado's biggest toughest routes is my specialty.

I am very glad too, this was one of my major goals. We can all have a wild thrilling and unique experience. I just love reliving it while I edit as well. So nice to see it all again with out any stress or discomfort though generally my stress levels are low or I stop filming to have more focus. This one was a bit more stressful knowing darkness would make the descent tougher but I have GPS tracking on and a head lamp so I can even handle darkness with little issue as long as I have a track to follow. I'm sorry to hear about your back, I also have chronic low back issues from skiing, lowest disc is 10% of normal thickness from hammering moguls for 25 years, I regret that. . . . but luckily it has not been a show stopper yet. . . . I know I'll be glad to have my video scrap book when this stuff is too much for me. . .
I hope your son watches a few videos. Using different cameras for different applications can really open things up, I phone for dynamic range and decent stabilization, go pro for rough use on selfie stick, gimbal camera, Pocket 2 for complex vertical to horizontal panning shots and remote framing using the phone remotely in conjunction as the viewer. . . That worked GREAT on an up and coming video where I composed 3rd person climbing shots while on the climb! The drone is unrivaled for demonstrating scale and displaying the macro environment. I encourage you to check out some of last summer's adventures, climbing Colorado's biggest toughest routes is my specialty.
Again, thank you; stunning, amazing stuff that conveys the adventure.

My last hike above tree line was in New Hampshire's White Mountain's on Mt. Lafayette. 7:00 AM -> 8:00 PM; the woods looked like people hunting for E.T. - flashlights everywhere as everyone that made the hike up exited the woods by dark (it was a family hike and we were rushing down - though the scrambles were not nearly as consequential as what you did - people even managed to get their dogs up the trail).

I injured my back the first time river boarding on a class III. Repair was terrific and got back to skiing and then I forgot my age and compressed all the discs in my lumbar, tore the scar tissue around my nerve root from former repair and tore my hip; go big, go home, got titanium?

I still plan to get back to the outdoors within reason; one has to dream. (It's a bit of a compromise from camping every month of the year - blizzards be damned; pragmatism.)

I hear ya, at 50 I'm definitely starting to feel it too. I will only run if there's a bear or mountain lion hot on my tail. . . so never. . One thing that has recently given me a lot of hope is hiking with trekking poles. OMG do my knees feel better and I can climb steep trail like a bat out of hell with his *** on fire LOL, Way better going down too. I climbed the tallest mountain in Colorado last weekend, got hosed on my skis since the snow was wet and sticking to my skins like crazy. I did the 4,500 vertical feet and 12+ miles in my AT ski boots, I really didn't think I could make it early on after leaving the skis. . . I think the poles were a huge help. I'm not sure, but they might even be a bigger help to me personally because my lats/back are pretty developed from years of climbing? I love the poles and am thinking about Longs Peak here pretty soon, when a bit more snow melts. . . I'm going to start editing that last climb soon, had the drone cruising at just under 15,000 MSL. Summit was 14,440. . .

I hear ya, at 50 I'm definitely starting to feel it too. I will only run if there's a bear or mountain lion hot on my tail. . . so never. . One thing that has recently given me a lot of hope is hiking with trekking poles. OMG do my knees feel better and I can climb steep trail like a bat out of hell with his *** on fire LOL, Way better going down too. I climbed the tallest mountain in Colorado last weekend, got hosed on my skis since the snow was wet and sticking to my skins like crazy. I did the 4,500 vertical feet and 12+ miles in my AT ski boots, I really didn't think I could make it early on after leaving the skis. . . I think the poles were a huge help. I'm not sure, but they might even be a bigger help to me personally because my lats/back are pretty developed from years of climbing? I love the poles and am thinking about Longs Peak here pretty soon, when a bit more snow melts. . . I'm going to start editing that last climb soon, had the drone cruising at just under 15,000 MSL. Summit was 14,440. . .
I'll be ready to watch. Highest I've climbed was 12,441 in The Sangre De Christo range in new Mexico when I was sixteen; it left an impression when you live at sea level.

I do hike with Leki carbon poles; helps a lot.

I'm subscribed, so I'll catch you here and on YT.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929