DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I passed my Part 107 Exam! - My story

fguthrie

Reactions
First things first, I don't have any other drone pilot chums to share this news with, but I do have all of you. Thanks for being here. :)

Second, congrats @sarahb for passing the test with 100%. Having just gone through this, 100% is amazing! For me the test was very challenging ... but I was up for it.

Perhaps my story will delight and provide a nugget or two for anyone else embarking on this quest.

I have wanted to get my part 107 for a few years for several reasons. I got into drones as a photographer who wanted new perspectives, but as I started flying, I quickly realized how much fun they are and got hooked. Getting my part 107 certificate would give me a good education concerning aviation and the rules. That interested me. Of course, being able to do commercial work is definitely welcome as well. Then there is Burning Man (which is another story). As difficult as it is to get a permit to fly there, I needed the part 107 in order to apply. Lastly, I knew it would be a bit of a challenge and I like challenges. I'm 64 and I knew this wouldn't be like taking a test in my 20's.

In the beginning of my drone adventure (2019), I had purchased Part 107 training from "Remote Pilot 101" which became MzeroA. So, instead of watching many YouTube videos, studying the FAA documentation directly, etc., I took the course at MzeroA. I have found I do better when I have a constant plan in front of me and taking the online course provided that. I took the class and studied for a week and a half. At the end of the class is a practice exam, similar to what you can expect at the PSI testing center. I took the practice test 5 times, scoring from 90% to 96%. I was completing the test exams in about 35 to 45 minutes. I felt pretty confident.

I scheduled my exam in the afternoon. At first I thought that might be a mistake as I would be more alert in the morning, but what I learned is that I really appreciated the additional time I had in the morning to continue preparing for the exam. I would do it the same way if I did it again.

Test Day: I was told by Jason (The instructor at MzeroA) to arrive early at PSI. I live in San Diego and there is lots of traffic, etc., plus the PSI testing center was busy! I arrived 30 minutes before my appointment. I left my cell phone and my watch in the car as you are not allowed to take electronics into the exam room. Upon arriving I was told to take everything out of my pockets and place them into a provided locker. I brought my own basic calculator, but they provided one. I also brought a magnifying glass for viewing the sectional charts and the METARs. That was also a recommendation by Jason and for me anyway, necessary! Lastly, I had two pairs of reading glasses - I wanted to make sure my older eyes didn't miss anything! Then something unexpected occurred. I was told to pull the inside of my pockets out and lift my pant legs (I was wondering if a full body search was next). I complied. I was provided with the Airman handbook, a calculator, two pencils and paper. I started to go into the exam room, but was stopped by another person who asked me to pull my pockets out and lift my pant legs again (they are serious!!). I compiled a second time and headed into the exam room.

The Exam: I got settled at my desk and began the exam. As I went through the first few questions, I noticed that the questions were not phrased as I was seeing them in the practice exams or elsewhere on the web. (I was warned of this by Jason). The good news was I did not just memorize the questions and answers, I did my best to soak up the knowledge. I carefully studied each question and marked down on paper the questions I was not sure about. A few questions I had never seen before anywhere! In the end, it took me much longer to get through the exam than I had anticipated. You have 2 hours to complete the exam. At 1 hour and 45 minutes I was finished. I'd like to tell you I felt confident that I was going to pass, but I wasn't. Many of the questions, although phrased differently, I did know the answers - but there were around 15 questions or so that I wasn't 100% sure about. As you know you can miss 18 questions and still pass (You just need a 70% to pass which I think is pretty generous). I felt like I might be close to that 70% mark and was concerned. I clicked exit and the "circle of death" spun on the screen ... I waited. Instead of giving me my score, you have to take a survey. Really?? I took the survey and then was told to return to the main office outside of the exam room.

My Score: When I walked out of the exam room, I was immediately told to get the items out of my locker. The anticipation continued to mount. Did I pass? I kept questioning myself. After I retrieved the items from my locker and handed over the airman booklet, 2 pencils and the paper, I was motioned by a PSI official to come to his desk. I walked up to his desk and asked, did I pass? He pointed to the line item on the Airman Knowledge Test Report which stated "Pass". Then I quickly asked, so what was my score? He quickly pointed to another line item on the report that stated "Score: 90%". I reached out my hand to him and we gave each other a fist bump. I was relieved and satisfied. In taking both the practice tests and the final, I never received a score below 90%. It was a good day!

After thoughts: If I had to do it over again, I would definitely take the course at MzeroA. I learned a lot and as a result passed the test. I highly recommend them. Scheduling the exam in the afternoon worked well for me, that might be something for you to consider. I would do that again also. I'm proud of what I accomplished - after a couple years I finally followed through, took and passed the test and achieved a decent score. If you are in a similar situation, I want to encourage you to get on that horse and take it for a ride (can you tell I'm from Wyoming?). It feels really good to have this accomplishment under my belt.

If you have any questions about the test, etc., ask and I'll do my best to answer. I have a question for anyone who passed the test. How long did it take you to get your temporary certificate number after applying for your certificate? Thanks for listening.

Congratulations!

Thanks everyone! @sarahb - You may find this interesting. I was just chatting with the folks at (MzeroA) and they provided to me a very handy link that will give us an idea when we will get our permanent certificate number. Check out this FAA link: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification - look at the top.

I received my temporary certificate within 48 hours of taking my test. It looks like it will be around 3 weeks or so before I get my permanent certificate.
:)

Last edited:
congrats on your pass

Reactions: fguthrie
Don't forget also,
You can renew your PART 107 free of charge on the FAA Safety Website! NO MORE FEES or Dealing with PSI!

Don't forget also,
You can renew your PART 107 free of charge on the FAA Safety Website! NO MORE FEES or Dealing with PSI!
Thank you! Shortly after I passed I was wondering about renewing and did the research and discovered that the renewal process is free and you can take the test as many times as you need to to get 100% - no failures! That is awesome! Yea, as you mentioned, no more PSI! :)

Thank you! Shortly after I passed I was wondering about renewing and did the research and discovered that the renewal process is free and you can take the test as many times as you need to to get 100% - no failures! That is awesome! Yea, as you mentioned, no more PSI! :)
When I took my first test at PSI, they were some of the most RUDE people, I've ever dealt with!

When I took my first test at PSI, they were some of the most RUDE people, I've ever dealt with!
I understand - I felt like I was entering a prison cell (I've never gone to prison for the record) - especially when they frisked me the second time! I'm guessing they are that way because of the cheaters.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. I am 85- went all the way through College (Pharmacy School. B.S. Pharmacy) and Medical School (M.D.) , internship, and residency, and ophthalmology Board Examinations.I am Board Certified. NO MORE EXAMINATIONS FOR ME!

BUT congratulations to you.

Dale
Miami

First things first, I don't have any other drone pilot chums to share this news with, but I do have all of you. Thanks for being here. :)

Second, congrats @sarahb for passing the test with 100%. Having just gone through this, 100% is amazing! For me the test was very challenging ... but I was up for it.

Perhaps my story will delight and provide a nugget or two for anyone else embarking on this quest.

I have wanted to get my part 107 for a few years for several reasons. I got into drones as a photographer who wanted new perspectives, but as I started flying, I quickly realized how much fun they are and got hooked. Getting my part 107 certificate would give me a good education concerning aviation and the rules. That interested me. Of course, being able to do commercial work is definitely welcome as well. Then there is Burning Man (which is another story). As difficult as it is to get a permit to fly there, I needed the part 107 in order to apply. Lastly, I knew it would be a bit of a challenge and I like challenges. I'm 64 and I knew this wouldn't be like taking a test in my 20's.

In the beginning of my drone adventure (2019), I had purchased Part 107 training from "Remote Pilot 101" which became MzeroA. So, instead of watching many YouTube videos, studying the FAA documentation directly, etc., I took the course at MzeroA. I have found I do better when I have a constant plan in front of me and taking the online course provided that. I took the class and studied for a week and a half. At the end of the class is a practice exam, similar to what you can expect at the PSI testing center. I took the practice test 5 times, scoring from 90% to 96%. I was completing the test exams in about 35 to 45 minutes. I felt pretty confident.

I scheduled my exam in the afternoon. At first I thought that might be a mistake as I would be more alert in the morning, but what I learned is that I really appreciated the additional time I had in the morning to continue preparing for the exam. I would do it the same way if I did it again.

Test Day: I was told by Jason (The instructor at MzeroA) to arrive early at PSI. I live in San Diego and there is lots of traffic, etc., plus the PSI testing center was busy! I arrived 30 minutes before my appointment. I left my cell phone and my watch in the car as you are not allowed to take electronics into the exam room. Upon arriving I was told to take everything out of my pockets and place them into a provided locker. I brought my own basic calculator, but they provided one. I also brought a magnifying glass for viewing the sectional charts and the METARs. That was also a recommendation by Jason and for me anyway, necessary! Lastly, I had two pairs of reading glasses - I wanted to make sure my older eyes didn't miss anything! Then something unexpected occurred. I was told to pull the inside of my pockets out and lift my pant legs (I was wondering if a full body search was next). I complied. I was provided with the Airman handbook, a calculator, two pencils and paper. I started to go into the exam room, but was stopped by another person who asked me to pull my pockets out and lift my pant legs again (they are serious!!). I compiled a second time and headed into the exam room.

The Exam: I got settled at my desk and began the exam. As I went through the first few questions, I noticed that the questions were not phrased as I was seeing them in the practice exams or elsewhere on the web. (I was warned of this by Jason). The good news was I did not just memorize the questions and answers, I did my best to soak up the knowledge. I carefully studied each question and marked down on paper the questions I was not sure about. A few questions I had never seen before anywhere! In the end, it took me much longer to get through the exam than I had anticipated. You have 2 hours to complete the exam. At 1 hour and 45 minutes I was finished. I'd like to tell you I felt confident that I was going to pass, but I wasn't. Many of the questions, although phrased differently, I did know the answers - but there were around 15 questions or so that I wasn't 100% sure about. As you know you can miss 18 questions and still pass (You just need a 70% to pass which I think is pretty generous). I felt like I might be close to that 70% mark and was concerned. I clicked exit and the "circle of death" spun on the screen ... I waited. Instead of giving me my score, you have to take a survey. Really?? I took the survey and then was told to return to the main office outside of the exam room.

My Score: When I walked out of the exam room, I was immediately told to get the items out of my locker. The anticipation continued to mount. Did I pass? I kept questioning myself. After I retrieved the items from my locker and handed over the airman booklet, 2 pencils and the paper, I was motioned by a PSI official to come to his desk. I walked up to his desk and asked, did I pass? He pointed to the line item on the Airman Knowledge Test Report which stated "Pass". Then I quickly asked, so what was my score? He quickly pointed to another line item on the report that stated "Score: 90%". I reached out my hand to him and we gave each other a fist bump. I was relieved and satisfied. In taking both the practice tests and the final, I never received a score below 90%. It was a good day!

After thoughts: If I had to do it over again, I would definitely take the course at MzeroA. I learned a lot and as a result passed the test. I highly recommend them. Scheduling the exam in the afternoon worked well for me, that might be something for you to consider. I would do that again also. I'm proud of what I accomplished - after a couple years I finally followed through, took and passed the test and achieved a decent score. If you are in a similar situation, I want to encourage you to get on that horse and take it for a ride (can you tell I'm from Wyoming?). It feels really good to have this accomplishment under my belt.

If you have any questions about the test, etc., ask and I'll do my best to answer. I have a question for anyone who passed the test. How long did it take you to get your temporary certificate number after applying for your certificate? Thanks for listening.
Congratulations on your success!!! It is a struggling story though, but happy to hear that you are on your dreams <3

If you are from Wyoming you may not under this, but here goes anyway....MAHZELTOV!!!
(Yiddish for congratulations).

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB