Join Us Now

Apology and Good News

MotoSavy

Part 107 Remote Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
proviewdrones.com
I sincerely apologize for stirring up the hornets nest with the Part 107 versus Recreational comments and if I offended anyone, I am truly sorry. I will be sure to pick my words more wisely in the future.

On a good note. Today I passed the Part 107 exam with a score of 97. It wasn't as hard as I had anticipated.

I trained with Pilot Institute and they did an excellent job in helping me pass and achieve such a great score. Their test exams were actually much harder than the real exam.

You scored a PI T-Shirt for that effort :)

Now that you have your pt. 107 you don't have to care about the nuances of whether you have complied with 44809 or not anymore so the hornet's nest discussions are threads you can happily ignore now.

Congrats on passing the test! Did you encounter any questions that you didn't see in your training?

And no worries about the previous thread. I really don't think anyone was offended by anything you said. It was a much needed forum discussion as it seems you might have been a tad confused on the rules ;)

Wow, I missed that thread; too bad, I could have chimed in. Glad you passed your part 107 test. As an avid and enthusiastic recreational drone pilot, I have a lot to say about the hobby and at this point, it's not going to matter if I disagree with you or not because we are all on the same side as far as I am concerned *and* a welcome fellow motorcycle rider is *always* on the team! Looking forward to your biking videos. :)

I sincerely apologize for stirring up the hornets nest with the Part 107 versus Recreational comments and if I offended anyone, I am truly sorry. I will be sure to pick my words more wisely in the future.

On a good note. Today I passed the Part 107 exam with a score of 97. It wasn't as hard as I had anticipated.

I trained with Pilot Institute and they did an excellent job in helping me pass and achieve such a great score. Their test exams were actually much harder than the real exam.
Congratulations on passing with such an excellent score. As I live in the U.K. I have no idea about your Part 107. Is it possible for you or anyone in your Country on this forum to post example questions of this exam , cheers Len

Reactions: MotoSavy
Glad you brought it up. Made me do some more research and always good to go over the rules and regs.

Congratulations on passing with such an excellent score. As I live in the U.K. I have no idea about your Part 107. Is it possible for you or anyone in your Country on this forum to post example questions of this exam , cheers Len
Len,
In the USA, our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) published specific rules applicable to the drone industry. It covers many areas of operations in airspace, different categories of drones, permits and registrations, as well as updates based on emerging technology such as RID.... In the USA, if you intend to fly your drone for any non-recreational purpose, you must be licensed from the FAA.

I'm sure you can just Google the topic and you will be buried in all of the information about FAA 107... Good luck!

Congrats @MotoSavy!

I'm working on my 107 as we speak. While I have no commercial plans or goals at the moment, I want to preserve the ability to use media I'm producing now in commercial application in the future if it ever comes up.

I also want to be able to donate that hypothetical church photo for a promotional campaign if asked.

And I've been asked. many times – not just church, but all sorts of friends wanting snaps and video for things to be safe I judge to be 107 material, and I have to say no.

I want to be able to answer yes. Even if all I'm ever doing is a favor for a friend.

Reactions: Dbez1 and MotoSavy
Congrats on passing the test! Did you encounter any questions that you didn't see in your training?

No, not really. I did my training with Pilot Institute and actually their prep test exams were harder than the real one. My FAA test score was actually better than the three test exams I did with a score of 92, 88 and 92.

Pilot Institute (Greg) has a live Q&A on YouTube, I think every Monday. I usually watch it after the live event, but it is a good stream to watch, I learned a lot too from watching and listening to the questions asked.

He also does a short Drone News stream every Friday, I think, where he talks about Drone News. Very informative and a short video, I think it's only about 10 minutes. I know he will not be doing one this coming Monday, since he is traveling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and msinger
Congrats @MotoSavy!

I'm working on my 107 as we speak. While I have no commercial plans or goals at the moment, I want to preserve the ability to use media I'm producing now in commercial application in the future if it ever comes up.

I also want to be able to donate that hypothetical church photo for a promotional campaign if asked.

And I've been asked. many times – not just church, but all sorts of friends wanting snaps and video for things to be safe I judge to be 107 material, and I have to say no.

I want to be able to answer yes. Even if all I'm ever doing is a favor for a friend.

It is a good thing to have even if you do not plan to do commercial work. You learn so much more that the little things they bring up while getting TRUST.

I live right between two Controlled Airspaces and I now have much more confidence in knowing that I am not accidentally breaking any rules. And as you mention, you can do photos or videos for your church, clubs, or friends with no need to worry about breaking any rules.

Wish you the best on your studies for Part 107. It is such a relief to have finished :)

Congratulations!

Wish you the best on your studies for Part 107. It is such a relief to have finished :)

Thanks!

Got my PP ticket back in '85... The material for 107 has a lot of similarities, and it's been a big help that I'm already familiar with charts and aviation weather.

Still, I've forgotten a lot. I renewed my single engine, VFR cert once, then stopped flying soon thereafter as it was just too expensive (back then!) to do for fun as a newly minted, single, 20-something engineer.

$50/hr wet-tach for a 152, thereabouts. I wonder what it costs today? I'd probably faint 😁

Thanks!

Got my PP ticket back in '85... The material for 107 has a lot of similarities, and it's been a big help that I'm already familiar with charts and aviation weather.

Still, I've forgotten a lot. I renewed my single engine, VFR cert once, then stopped flying soon thereafter as it was just too expensive (back then!) to do for fun as a newly minted, single, 20-something engineer.

$50/hr wet-tach for a 152, thereabouts. I wonder what it costs today? I'd probably faint 😁

I started flying lessons many years ago and with about 20-25 hour I had to go overseas for an IT contracting job for a year and when I came back, life just got in the way and I didn't continue. I was doing contracts in different parts of the country.

But I have always had the passion for flying. I have owned every version of Flight Simulator since Bruce Artwick and his company Sublogic first originally started it and then taken over by Microsoft.

I have Flight Simulator 2020 and do fly it regularly. It fills that void of not becoming a pilot and it really does a great job with it's great graphics. Microsoft is releasing a new 2024 version this year.

The money spent on a good PC to run it is much cheaper and safer than flying in a real plane. I agree that flying a plane is a very expensive hobby to have, unless you go on, get you license and fly with the big airliners.

I'm sure it's way more that $50/hr wet by now. I think it could be more in the $100-150/hr these days with inflation.

I took my test at a flight school and they had tons of student pilots there. Here in Vero Beach Florida, they have three big flight schools. It is also home to Piper where they build their aircrafts. During COVID, this place was kind of of like a ghost town, no pilots anywhere. Now thing are picking up and FlightSafety International, which was one of the big three sold to SkyBorne, I think a British company, but not as popular as FlightSafety was.

Here you go to Starbucks, or just about anywhere and you run into pilots. I did my test at Paris Air Inc, which is one of the big ones and it seems that their business is now better them the other two big one. FlightSafety use to do real good here and surprised they sold, but they were all bleeding money due to COVID. There are also a couple of of smaller flight schools.

Charts were the easiest for me. I have a subscription to Navigraph that I use with Flight Simulator. It has all the charts, sectionals and approach plates needed to fly anywhere on the simulator. I've been using charts for decades.

BTW the IT work that I did was with software used the the Airlines, Banking and Hotels industries. Companies that required large online transaction volumes, so I spent a lot of my career working in the airline industry. There again, my fascination with flying,

I hold a commercial pilot's certificate. Wonder what I have to do to add a part 107 cert to my ticket.

I hold a commercial pilot's certificate. Wonder what I have to do to add a part 107 cert to my ticket.

There is a shorter way to get Part 107 if you already have 61 and not have to do the whole class for 107 (although some do it on their own). Since you already know all about airspaces, chart, weather, CG, METAR, TAF, NOTAMs, etc.

During my PI Part 107 class it was mentioned that Part 61 pilots didn't have to do the whole thing. I will look into it and get back to you.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne