DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yes In the USA You can Bring Your Own Magnifying Glass to the UAG Exam…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
Yes In the USA You can Bring Your Own Magnifying Glass to the UAG Exam…

This posting only affects those members in the United States…

Some Members have been denied the use of their own Magnifying Glass and it was Wrong!

When I took my part 107 Exam, I was advised to bring my own Magnifying Glass. I called before showing up to ensure that it would be OK and I was told it can't have any electronic in it… When I arrived, they check the magnifying glass over and approved it.

I am active on several Web Sites including MavicPilots, DronePilots, DJI Forum, and most recently the Pilot Institute's Web Site "Community 101."

Where I tested, the test facility was wonderful and I could not have asked for better. I did bring my own Magnifying Glass, a simple $2.00 one from Harbor Freight (no lights). I was glad I did as the one I was provided might have come out of box of Cracker Jacks; it was small and very low quality with a scratched plastic lens…

With so many of the members of the Community being students who are studying for the Certification or have recently taken the exam, it has come up numerous times that the member was not allowed to bring in their own Magnifying Glass.

I have tried to researched this and the only reference that is an FAA document is the Advisory Circular, Subject: Test Aids And Materials That May Be Used By Airman Knowledge Testing Applicants, dated 4/26/99.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 60-11c.pdf

This document lists many items that an applicant may bring to and use during the exam, but makes no mention of a Magnifying Glass.

Paragraph 5.g. says, "The test proctor makes the final determination relating to test materials and personal possessions that the applicant may take into the testing area."

And this seems to be the point that these facilities is using to deny the use of a personal Magnifying Glass..

So I wrote to the FAA at [email protected] and asked them this questions…

"Can an Applicant bring a personal Magnifying Glass (no lights, electronics etc…) to take the Unmanned Aircraft General (UAG) Examination for the Part 107 Certification?"

And the FAA UAS Support Center told me the UAG Exam is administered exclusively by PSI Services and to direct my inquiry to them…

faa.jpg

So I wrote to the To PSI Services at [email protected] and this is their response…

psi.jpg

So, there you have it, you are allowed to use your own Magnifying Glass while taking the UAG Exam…

However, in spite of them saying it is OK, I would still advise you to call ahead to ensure that the Testing Facility is following this understanding…

Additionally, I reviewed the instructions provided to the applicants on the PSI's Web page, "Test Taker Support,"

https://www.psiexams.com/test-takers/support/

In the Frequently Asked Questions, Paragraph 10. PSI Test Center Regulations - live proctored: No prohibition of a personal Magnifying Glass is mentioned, However: paragraph 4, under this subheading does state: "4. Personal items are not permitted in the testing room."

Therefore, I do see a contradiction in the instructions, the rules, the regulations, and the application and permissibility of the applicant not being allowed to bring in their own Magnifying Glass.

So Call ahead and ask if your personal Magnifying Glass is permitted, and get the person's name. You would be surprised how many times you would be asked, "Who told you that?"

And you might mention that you have a vision problem that might include cataracts, color blindness, astigmatism, presbyopia as well as other vision weaknesses that do not prohibit nor inhibit you flying a Small Unmanned Aircraft (Drone), but can create difficulties for you to distinguish details on a map without a quality Magnifying Glass.

Good Luck to you and post if you were allowed to use your own Magnifying Glass or you were denied the use of you own…

LoudThunder signing off…

You can get magnifying attachments that attach to your glasses and make them effectively super-powered bifocals… my dentist uses them. Might be useful if someone is in a situation where they need both distance and close-up vision at the same time.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I will be taking the 107 exam later this year, so please elaborate on why and for what, one might need a mag glass?

34S

Someone should market a "part 107 approved magnifying glass"
There would never be enough demand for some manufacturer to make a "Part 107 approved magnifying glass"… The rules are simple, the magnifying glass may NOT contain any electronics, like lights, etc…

The issue comes in because the testing center has some very specific rules to prevent cheating or copying of the questions or answers… This is a government controlled exam that costs a lot of money to take and they do not want exam compromised…

You can sit down with your best friend at the same time and take the exam and you two might not have a single question in common… The exam is computer generated from a random selection of hundreds of questions and the exam has only 60-questions.

If youi really want to know how strict the eam conditins are, look at FAQ #10 in the link below…

A while back, one test taker was told to remove his hearing aids since he would not need them during the exam… And the test monitor could not ensure that they were really hearing aids and not a receiver…

And the FAA\s Advisory Circular says…

"The test proctor makes the final determination relating to test materials and personal possessions that the applicant may take into the testing area."

So, any magnifying Glass that is just a plain old magnifying Glass should be no problem… like is wrote, Should be no Problem…

I will be taking the 107 exam later this year, so please elaborate on why and for what, one might need a mag glass?

34S
Most likely for looking at a detail on airport facilities information in the Airman's Information Manual, which is provided as a reference, or at a detail in a drawing in a test. question. Unless you have vision limitations, it's not something you'll need often, if at all.

If you will be taking the Part 107 Exam then you will be provided a hard copy of the:

FAA-CT-8080-2H -- Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational Pilot, Remote Pilot, and Private Pilot

(This is referred to as the "AKT")

It is free on line through the FAA; however, you should buy a hard copy from Amazon, usually less than $10 and get used to using the hard copy since you will be using one on the exam...

And do not worry about the year on the cover. It is currect from 2018 and a printer just puts a newer date on it to make you think it's newer...

And it will contain various charts like this and you will be asked:

What are the coordinates for the wind turbine located 7NM north east of Toledo
Exec Airport (Area 4)?

And you will have to find the wind turbine and then the Lat ans long of its location and a Magnifying Glass makes it a lot easier... Buy your Magnifying glass from Harbor Freight for $2.00... It works perfectly for the exam and when you get old like me, you can use it to read your Prescription botttles... L 😁 L . . .

chart.jpg

And the possible answers are;

A. Not enough information available to answer the question.

B. N41 degrees 40' 15" W83degrees 25' 00"

C. N40 degrees 20' 15" W84 degrees 35' 00"

I had to write "degrees" becasue I cannot use the little degree symbol...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne