DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Cinematic Skye, A windy day at the romantic ruins of Duntulm Castle

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
The romantic and very exposed ruins of the Clan Maconald stronghold of Duntulm Castle, on the NE coast of Skye...

Standing on a rocky headland at the end of a ridge Castle Duntulm is a shadow of its former self - once having a 4-storey tower - but still what remains is picturesque and does attract a disproportionate amount of visitors for its size - the free roadside parking is always busy with folks stopping for a walk on their circumnavigation of the Tottenish Peninsula - from Uig to Staffin or vice versa, taking in the Quiang.

On a good day the views stretch to Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides, but when we visited the weather was not playing ball - although the 20mph wind - gusting to 30mph - was much less than it had been on our previous visits, allowing me to fly our AIR3 here and capture at least the essence of the place...

Enjoy...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another site of great memories. In the late ‘80s I was photographing the castle with a medium format camera. I had to walk back to the car to get another roll of film and as I did I heard a strange rumble and looked back to see a cloud of dust rising from the castle. The last remaining section of the largest tower had just collapsed in the wind. Fortunately the tower wall fell away from my camera and tripod, which was less than a metre away, though it did get a good dusting.

I could have been right beneath the tower as it collapsed but went away with the last photograph prior to the fall and the first taken afterward. If I’d had a digital camera then I could well have been stood there and met my end!

Thanks again for another great view of Skye. Hoping to get back there in 2026.

The romantic and very exposed ruins of the Clan Maconald stronghold of Duntulm Castle, on the NE coast of Skye...

Standing on a rocky headland at the end of a ridge Castle Duntulm is a shadow of its former self - once having a 4-storey tower - but still what remains is picturesque and does attract a disproportionate amount of visitors for its size - the free roadside parking is always busy with folks stopping for a walk on their circumnavigation of the Tottenish Peninsula - from Uig to Staffin or vice versa, taking in the Quiang.

On a good day the views stretch to Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides, but when we visited the weather was not playing ball - although the 20mph wind - gusting to 30mph - was much less than it had been on our previous visits, allowing me to fly our AIR3 here and capture at least the essence of the place...

Enjoy...

Nicely flown and edited as per usual. Lovely soundtrack, and great ending shot. My only small critique was your corkscrew ascent was a tad fast for my liking but hey, great job just the same. 👍🏻

• Love
Reactions: AlbionDrones
Another great video and I'm very jealous of the weather you get for your trips to Scotland. I must get out more..lol.
Thanks, although I have to admit to 4 of the days in the last trip being completely unflyable, and the day this was captured was definitely borderline for the wind...

Another site of great memories. In the late ‘80s I was photographing the castle with a medium format camera. I had to walk back to the car to get another roll of film and as I did I heard a strange rumble and looked back to see a cloud of dust rising from the castle. The last remaining section of the largest tower had just collapsed in the wind. Fortunately the tower wall fell away from my camera and tripod, which was less than a metre away, though it did get a good dusting.

I could have been right beneath the tower as it collapsed but went away with the last photograph prior to the fall and the first taken afterward. If I’d had a digital camera then I could well have been stood there and met my end!

Thanks again for another great view of Skye. Hoping to get back there in 2026.

Eek, sounds like a very close call, glad you nd the camera survived without injury... Good luck with the plans to revisit in the future...

Nicely flown and edited as per usual. Lovely soundtrack, and great ending shot. My only small critique was your corkscrew ascent was a tad fast for my liking but hey, great job just the same. 👍🏻
Thanks... Understand about the seed on the corkscrew, unfortunately, I only did the one take, perhaps I should have slowed it using Optical Flow in DaVinci, but too late now... I will take on board the feedback for future projects though...

Reactions: Jake 61

Enjoy...

Very well done

• Love
Another super shoot and edit. Such a picturesque location. Impressed that the MA3 is stable enough to fly in those (for me) edgy wind speeds-especially over water.

Another super shoot and edit. Such a picturesque location. Impressed that the MA3 is stable enough to fly in those (for me) edgy wind speeds-especially over water.
Thanks... yeah, it was a little nervy taking off, but once up it was fine, a few bumps when entering turbulent air, but it was steady enough, even with the occasional +30mph gusts...

Reactions: twickers14
Another great video and a very interesting place to fly. I must admit, however, the only part I didn't like is the face down spin. Made me dizzy :)

Another great video and a very interesting place to fly. I must admit, however, the only part I didn't like is the face down spin. Made me dizzy :)
Thanks... yeah, it seems that is a contentious spin, you are the third person to say it was too fast... I shall remember that for next time and slow it down a bit...

Lovely video of beautiful scenery. Be interesting to see what the castle used to look like. I got a bit dizzy on the corkscrew too.
Thanks.. yeah, I shall have to watch the rotational speed in future... Strangely enough it looks ok o the Short format version though...

@AlbionDrones - Suzanne, another video with your "awesome sauce!" 😍 the music - seemed very fitting for the location.
Thanks... I seem to be getting a reputation for editing and producing....

Reactions: Prop Wash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trekfrk