DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Class E and G airspace questions.

Carlos de Castro

Reactions
I just started studying for the part 107 test and am a little confused about class E airspace.

Looking at the airport in my hometown here http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=44.275&lon=-85.419&zoom=10

It is a class E airport because of the shaded magenta color. Inside the circle Class E airspace only starts at 700 ft AGL? Because it's not dashed magenta like ------, it is not at the surface. So in other words, anywhere within the circle below 700 FT AGL is considered class G airspace? Would I have to contact the airport to fly within the circle if I'm flying in what is considered class G even if it is within 5 miles of a class E airport?

I just started studying for the part 107 test and am a little confused about class E airspace.

Looking at the airport in my hometown here VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

It is a class E airport because of the shaded magenta color. Inside the circle Class E airspace only starts at 700 ft AGL? Because it's not dashed magenta like ------, it is not at the surface. So in other words, anywhere within the circle below 700 FT AGL is considered class G airspace? Would I have to contact the airport to fly within the circle if I'm flying in what is considered class G even if it is within 5 miles of a class E airport?

I had a similar question and sent the FAA an email... Their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. If flying only for hobby purposes the law requires that you notify all airports within five miles of your area of operation. If operating under Part 107 with a remote pilot certification you do not need to contact any airports in Class G airspace; however, if you are flying in controlled airspace you will need to request authorization through this portal here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/."

Reactions: Otto
I had a similar question and sent the FAA an email... Their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. If flying only for hobby purposes the law requires that you notify all airports within five miles of your area of operation. If operating under Part 107 with a remote pilot certification you do not need to contact any airports in Class G airspace; however, if you are flying in controlled airspace you will need to request authorization through this portal here: http://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/."
So basically once I get my license, I can fly anywhere within the circle as long as I don't go past 700 ft which is class E airspace. Well technically the law for uas pilot is 400 ft, so I'd have to keep it below that. Doing this would be totally legal, as long as I have the part 107 license. If I'm a hobbyist, I have to contact the airport.

So basically once I get my license, I can fly anywhere within the circle as long as I don't go past 700 ft which is class E airspace. Well technically the law for uas pilot is 400 ft, so I'd have to keep it below that. Doing this would be totally legal, as long as I have the part 107 license. If I'm a hobbyist, I have to contact the airport.

The important factor (and this was on my test) ... is to avoid interference with manned aircraft or aircraft operations.

The important factor (and this was on my test) ... is to avoid interference with manned aircraft or aircraft operations.
Thanks for the response. It's good to know. Every now and then I go back to my hometown, but have been reluctant to film anywhere, because the airport is close to everything. I even called the airport, and the guy who answered the phone didn't seem to understand the rules for hobbyists or usually nobody answers the phone. Next time I will have the license.

Right, assuming you follow all other regs. And you can fly over 400' AGL if you are within 400' laterally of one of those towers around the airport if you stay below the floor of Class E.

In this case, the Class E airspace does indeed start at 700' - suspended over the ground, if that's easier to think of. Since you almost certainly won't ever exceed 400', you needn't worry about it under Part 107 - except for the caveat - as mentioned - about not interfering with other aircraft.

Reactions: larryp

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor