DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clearance for flight after dark??

88lance

Reactions
Hey everyone, still somewhat new to the drone scene here. Quick question about getting clearance in class "C" airspace. A couple weeks ago I wanted to fly in this airspace, called the airport control tower, they were very helpful and asked a few questions about location, altitude, and flight time. Done deal, hung up and flew around under 200'. Wanted to do a night flight at this same location tonight, so I called the control tower, but got someone from communications department. They said nobody is allowed to have the control tower number anymore. So they offered to call and give them my number. I received a call back from this communications office saying they talked to ATC, who told them they are no longer allowed to approve or deny drone flights anymore. They told me this is all done online from an app now. So I went to the B4Ufly app and requested my approval to fly, which came back with a message saying they were not taking requests for flights after sunset.
Unless I am missing something, it is legal to fly at night as long as the drone has the proper lights. Why would they "not take requests" after dark? Is there a different app besides B4Ufly that also does approvals? Any advice about a situation like this from people who know more?

You do need to get approval in order to fly in controlled airspace, but you already knew that part.

Indeed, the new 2018 law and subsequent FAA rules no longer want you to initiate contact with tower directly.

Now there are two ways to get clearance
The automated way using LAANC, or the manual way through FAA DroneZone website. LAANC is provided through Airmap or Kittyhawk. You probably have Kittyhawk since B4UFly directs you there as it by itself cannot process LAANC requests.

Since you are wanting to fly at night in controlled airspace, you'll need to use Dronezone. I doubt you'll get approval/waiver without a part 107 certification.

You do need to get approval in order to fly in controlled airspace, but you already knew that part.

Indeed, the new 2018 law and subsequent FAA rules no longer want you to initiate contact with tower directly.

Now there are two ways to get clearance
The automated way using LAANC, or the manual way through FAA DroneZone website. LAANC is provided through Airmap or Kittyhawk. You probably have Kittyhawk since B4UFly directs you there as it by itself cannot process LAANC requests.

Since you are wanting to fly at night in controlled airspace, you'll need to use Dronezone. I doubt you'll get approval/waiver without a part 107 certification.
Correct, I am using Kittyhawk. I thought there may be another app as well, so I am happy to hear about Dronezone, I will try it out. Flying at night in this type of airspace may just not be doable. It would be nice since it is a good view of the city lights, but if it is denied, then better safe than sorry Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50