DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clearing MA SD Card

I usually don't risk that many files without downloading but that seems pretty slow. As we all know that drone has only so many cycles..it might be zillions..I don't know but I sure don't want to waste them downloading a 15 dollar SD card.
I used a large number just for the test. I'd never do that for real.

Reactions: hiflyer201
On the subject of formatting.

As a professional photographer using SLR cameras, if you simply delete and do not format, you do not actually 'delete' in totallity, which is why the files can be recovered AFTER DELETING by a recovery program. If you then shoot on a 'deleted' card, the old files are still there in the background and what you are actually doing is OVERWRITING the new files. This can, sometimes (and Sod's Law dictates it will only happen when the pictures are important!) result in the files becoming corrupted. It has happened many times to photographers everywhere and the tales of woe crop up on forums, such as this.

GOOD PRACTICE dictates you format after every download. No need ot delete then format, simply format and it wipes the slate clean with far less chance of corruption. I actually do delete and then format. In the camera, I haven't taken a picture with the drone yet! But the background system must be the same, as to how the cards are written to.

On the subject of formatting.

As a professional photographer using SLR cameras, if you simply delete and do not format, you do not actually 'delete' in totallity, which is why the files can be recovered AFTER DELETING by a recovery program. If you then shoot on a 'deleted' card, the old files are still there in the background and what you are actually doing is OVERWRITING the new files. This can, sometimes (and Sod's Law dictates it will only happen when the pictures are important!) result in the files becoming corrupted. It has happened many times to photographers everywhere and the tales of woe crop up on forums, such as this.

GOOD PRACTICE dictates you format after every download. No need ot delete then format, simply format and it wipes the slate clean with far less chance of corruption. I actually do delete and then format. In the camera, I haven't taken a picture with the drone yet! But the background system must be the same, as to how the cards are written to.
Being able to recover deleted files is a non-issue. Your corruption issues is most likely to occur when you are swapping cards between cameras and operating systems which is not an issue for everyone.

Being able to recover deleted files is a non-issue. Your corruption issues is most likely to occur when you are swapping cards between cameras and operating systems which is not an issue for everyone.

The overwrite thing is still present though. It is good housekeeping to format every once in a while, if not regularly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54