DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clearing MA SD Card

RkyMtnHigh

Reactions
I've searched the various threads and I think I may have found the answer, but the confidence level isn't that high. I'm flying the Mavic Air, so how do I clear my SD card before it gets full? If I understand it right, I upload my pics/videos to my computer then re-format the SD card through the DJI GO4 app and that will clear the card? If not what process would I use? Thanks everyone in advance. :)

I've searched the various threads and I think I may have found the answer, but the confidence level isn't that high. I'm flying the Mavic Air, so how do I clear my SD card before it gets full? If I understand it right, I upload my pics/videos to my computer then re-format the SD card through the DJI GO4 app and that will clear the card? If not what process would I use? Thanks everyone in advance. :)
yes that will do it before you fly just go to the camera setting scroll down till you see format SD card choose yes and then afterwards it will say card formatted this then removes any data that was stored on the card i believe with the air there is a built in card ,and i think you can format that one in the app as well ,i dont have a air but just going by what i have read on the forum

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
Another option is to have your computer delete the photos/videos as it downloads them. I know some people on here hardly ever format their SD cards, others do it every flight. Generally I don't format very often.

If I understand it right, I upload my pics/videos to my computer then re-format the SD card through the DJI GO4 app and that will clear the card? If not what process would I use?
That works, or you can format in the computer after copying the images too the HD if that's convenient.
It doesn't make any difference.

yes that will do it before you fly just go to the camera setting scroll down till you see format SD card choose yes and then afterwards it will say card formatted this then removes any data that was stored on the card i believe with the air there is a built in card ,and i think you can format that one in the app as well ,i dont have a air but just going by what i have read on the forum
Thank you sir! That's what I thought it was but wasn't totally sure.

Reactions: old man mavic
Another option is to have your computer delete the photos/videos as it downloads them. I know some people on here hardly ever format their SD cards, others do it every flight. Generally I don't format very often.
That's exactly what I was hoping to do but I can't for the life of me find that option on my computer. Not saying it's not there, I just haven't used this computer long enough to be comfortable with it yet.

That works, or you can format in the computer after copying the images too the HD if that's convenient.
It doesn't make any difference.
Thank you. I figured there had to be more than one way to do it.

I never remove my SD card. I download the files to my computer and then erase it from the computer. I do not see the sense in constantly reformatting. I keep contact information in a text file in the SD card and the built-in storage in case of loss. Never removing the SD card means you never have to worry about putting it back in. And never discovering too late you forgot.

Never removing the SD card means you always use the slowest and most awkward method for transferring files from your drone.
Wrong. Taking it out, putting it in, formatting, putting it ut back.
Never removing the SD card means you always use the slowest and most awkward method for transferring files from your drone.

Wrong. Taking it out, putting it in, formatting, putting it ut back.
Wrong?
It takes a fraction of the time and there's no need to leave your drone powered up while you wait for the files to trickle down your cable.
Popping the SD card, putting it in the slot of the laptop, copying, formatting and putting the card back in the drone takes 1-2 minutes tops.
Quick and simple.

Last edited:
If you delete the files from the card in a computer, make sure you empty the trash before ejecting the card. In some cases not doing this will not free up all the space on the card.

This is an issue for Macs. I don’t know about Windows or Android.

I never remove my SD card. I download the files to my computer and then erase it from the computer. I do not see the sense in constantly reformatting. I keep contact information in a text file in the SD card and the built-in storage in case of loss. Never removing the SD card means you never have to worry about putting it back in. And never discovering too late you forgot.
You're kidding? right? you could get another card to pop in..I sure wouldn't want to be powering up my drone just to download files

Wrong?
It takes a fraction of the time and there's no need to leave your drone powered up while you wait for the files to trickle down your cable.
Popping the SD card, putting it in the slot of the laptop, copying, formatting and putting the card back in the drone takes 1-2 minutes tops.
Quick and simple.
You seemed so confident I put this to a test.

My equipment: Dell Inspiron 5558 Dual Core I7 processor running @ 2.4 Ghz, with a 2 TB SSD drive and 16 GB ram.

The 64 GB SD card that came with my Mavic 1 Fly More package.

I loaded the SD card with 1,263 files totaling 20.8 GB. The files were a mixture of video MP4 and jpegs.

Test 1: Time to copy the contents of the SD card to the computer using the SD slot in my computer. Time: 9:57.

Test 2: Time to copy the contents of the SD card to the computer using a USB cable connected to the drone. Time: 10:28

Time to remove the SD card from the drone, place it in the converter and connect to the computer, then do everything in reverse: 1:04

Time to connect and disconnect the drone from the cable, including power up & down: 0:42 sec.

Total time USB: 11:10

Total time SD: 11:01

This is not adding in the time to format the card, which I do not do with the USB option because I do it as a move. Taking this into account, the times are essentially identical

My advantages: (1) I still have my contact information on the SD card if it is ever needed. (2) There is no worry about going out into the field without the SD card installed.

If you delete the files from the card in a computer, make sure you empty the trash before ejecting the card. In some cases not doing this will not free up all the space on the card.

This is an issue for Macs. I don’t know about Windows or Android.
I haven't had this problem with Windows or Android.

You seemed so confident I put this to a test.
I'm sorry .. I wrongly estimated the time it takes
I just timed it properly and found that for 1.5GB of image files from the drone, it took 0:36 secs including reformating the SD card.
I did not have to connect the drone, power up the drone, or use the drone battery.
I have a sticker showing contact details so I don't bother with any hidden messages on the SD card.
And there's no risk of going out into the field without the SD card installed because I carry 7 spare cards in the drone case and a new one goes in whenever I take a used one out of the drone.

It's quick, simple and works for me.

I'm sorry .. I wrongly estimated the time it takes
I just timed it properly and found that for 1.5GB of image files from the drone, it took 0:36 secs including reformating the SD card.
I did not have to connect the drone, power up the drone, or use the drone battery.
I have a sticker showing contact details so I don't bother with any hidden messages on the SD card.
And there's no risk of going out into the field without the SD card installed because I carry 7 spare cards in the drone case and a new one goes in whenever I take a used one out of the drone.

It's quick, simple and works for me.
And that's all that matters. I only have the one card so I have to do things a little differently.

.... just another thought since the subject did come up....the way the battery comes out on the Mavic pro and zoom....I cut a business card in half with my name and phone number on it and placed it between the battery and drone. Most people who would find our drones would be hard pressed to find the mini SD slot.

WDK

Reactions: Harold Morgan
est 1: Time to copy the contents of the SD card to the computer using the SD slot in my computer. Time: 9:57.
I usually don't risk that many files without downloading but that seems pretty slow. As we all know that drone has only so many cycles..it might be zillions..I don't know but I sure don't want to waste them downloading a 15 dollar SD card.

Reactions: NOLADG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032