DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 3 dusting sd cards

V30 is not that fast of a card for the Air3. You need at least a v60, preferably a V90. I use Macs and have never had an issue with SD cards. I run V60 and V90 in my Air 2S. I usually don't format them that often, I will dump the media to my computer then trash the files on there and empty the trash. Goes back to full capacity and I haven't had any issues at all.
Also, maybe you should check the speed of the card, depending on where you got it, there are many counterfeit cards out there.
I'm having trouble understanding why you need faster cards. For one - even DJI specs V30 cards. Their data pipeline maxes out at 150 Mpbs for the Air 3 which is equal to approximately 19 MB/sec. Angel V30 cards for example support 90 MB/sec. write speeds. Except for faster download speeds copying files from the SD cards to your computer, the drone doesn't appear to need anything faster than V30 even at the highest resolutions and frame rates.

It's a good idea to check card speeds and capacities if there are doubts about its specs, integrity or authentication. I've received fake cards in the past, and using card checking programs like H2TESTW helped uncover the bad actors.

Reactions: Meta4
Thanks for your reply
As Marc suggested, it's a good idea to check card speeds and capacities if there are doubts about it's specs, integrity or authentication. I've received fake cards in the past, and using card checking programs like H2TESTW helped uncover the bad actors.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Just to chime in.....

I never buy any sort of media online anymore... that is sd cards, microsd cards, etc.

Too many fakes out there - even on Amazon.

Just walk into a BestBuy and pick up your cards. Price difference (if any) in minimal.

Just to chime in.....

I never buy any sort of media online anymore... that is sd cards, microsd cards, etc.

Just walk into a BestBuy and pick up your cards. Price difference (if any) in minimal.
Fortunately this is an old issue and discovering fakes is an super easy process. It's no longer 2014, it's completely safe to buy microSD cards from Amazon as long as you can work the process. Otherwise, you are correct, buy from BestBuy where apparently it is less likely to pickup a fake card.

it's completely safe to buy microSD cards from Amazon as long as you can work the process
"Work the process"? Unfortunately I have no idea what you mean.

Again, buy your media from a store like BestBuy, rather than online. That way, you won't have to "Work the process".

Cheers!

"Work the process"? Unfortunately I have no idea what you mean.

Again, buy your media from a store like BestBuy, rather than online. That way, you won't have to "Work the process".

Cheers!
Yeah, sorry about the vague "work the process" which means run the simple program to check if your microsd card is a fake card or not.

Just to chime in.....

That's a good solution. Unfortunately, not all of us live close to a Best Buy. The closest one to me is an 80 km round trip that would cost about $20 in fuel. There were lots of fakes on eBay in the "old" days, but now, Amazon is quick, competitively priced and free shipping to my front door next day. Never had an issue with fake Sandisk SD cards from Amazon. YMMV

It doesn't have to be a BestBuy. Any reputable electronics store. Get the point?

Sooner or later you'll get a fake off Amazon. Believe me, I know.

Your choice.

Oh..... I use Amazon prime nearly every day. Just not for certain items.

It doesn't have to be a BestBuy. Any reputable electronics store. Get the point?

Sooner or later you'll get a fake off Amazon. Believe me, I know.

Your choice.

Oh..... I use Amazon prime nearly every day. Just not for certain items.
It is true. Sooner or later you will get a fake card on eBay or on Amazon if you buy enough of them. It's the risk you take for getting a better deal at a lower cost. I can't remember exactly but it's been about twice on ebay and twice on Amazon I got fakes but not in the last 5+ years. I have received 100% refund so never lost any money and in no case did I have to return the fake card.

I understand why this doesn't work for everyone. It works for me because I often get nice deals on Amazon whether it's Prime Day or BF or some other promotion where you can get upwards of 50% off which can be applied to microsd cards. These are deals that cannot be price matched at Best Buy so for me, the price is a huge factor but I understand if you cannot swing these deals, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't shop at Best Buy. It's not a headache for me because it takes 24 hours to discover a fake and if I do it takes 24 hours to recover from a fake and move on. And the opposite it true, if BBY has a nice price, you can try to match it on Amazon and save yourself a trip.

Fake cards at Best Buy are rare but not unheard of and one day, it might be thing, too. The difference for me is no matter where I buy a card from, whether it's Best Buy, Amazon, or from Sandisk or Samsung directly, I test it to make sure it is not a fake. The test takes place regardless. Because I know what it's like to put a fake card into service and there's absolutely no way I'm going to break a microSD card out of a package and then plop it into my drone and start recording footage onto it. That's a big red flag no-no and you're just asking for trouble. But I get it; no big deal, until it happens to you; good news is the painful loss cause by a fake doesn't last forever. Test your cards! It's free, it's easy.

The only problem I have ever had with SD cards is with an external card reader. Corrupted everything on the card, could not even use a recovery app to get my files. Took me a few goes and lost files before I realized it was the card reader. Got a new one and good to go... Hope not but might be a problem with the drone, you should start a conversation with DJI.

Thanks for the response .
No device I put the card in even sees it, so I see no way to access it, I worked with computers for 30 years, so I do have experience with troublesome devices. I use an iMac but do do other pc's , nothing I do in either make computer lets me see the card,

I can't say that the actual format procedure is the culprit and it does seem to be something going on while in the Air 3 . I have a Samsung card it the Air 3 now that I formatter with my Go Pro, all seems OK, and when I need to access the card in the drone , I connect a USB from my iMac to the connector on the back of the drone. If I come up with some kind of solution if I get one , I will post results here.
Again thanks for your help.

Mike
Mike,

I tend to speak directly and don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, best intentions, or efforts to help, including yours. My business is data, more specifically obtaining data that, in most cases, was not intended for others to see, i.e. digital forensics. That means I have to connect to a vast array of data sources and overcome many obstacles along that road.

For me, drones are fun. I come here as the goto source for anything dealing with DJI drones. The expertise and friendship here is unparalleled. When I have problems connecting to data sources or dealing with data corruption, this isn't my first stop. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, only that when it comes to dealing with formatting, connections, corruption of data, etc. there is a huge amount of misinformation mixed in with good information.

In my office I sit among 4 Macs and two Windows machines with the ability to run most anything virtually or boot with any number of security Linux boots. I use what best gets the job done in any given circumstance. You are using a Mac and that is my goto machine for most anything unless I'm forced to use something else. So let's start down the road of solving your problem with a Mac.

The card you are using may not be the fastest, but according to DJI, it's on their approved list. List of Recommended Storage Cards for Drones

The type of format DJI uses depends on the size of the card. 32 GB or less, get FAT32 and larger will be exFAT. You don't have an option. Regardless, Windows or Mac can see any FAT format.

I've responded to you asking for more info and have offered some suggestions. I've reviewed this post and I'm seeing a lot of missing information I need to help you. I see no mention of a card reader being used, but I see this:
1) you are using a Mac, but have also tried Windows
2) you are connecting your drone to your computer via USB

I see you saying they can't be read and are corrupted, but I don't see you saying how you made that determination, what messages you've received, etc.

Troubleshooting is a methodical process and jumping all over the place doesn't help. So let's be methodical.

Connections are both physical first and logical last. First things first, the physical connection. We need to make sure you have a good cable, one rated for data and not just power. I trust you are looking at a USB C connection, at least on the drone side. There are all kinds of USB C cables and you need to have one rated for high speed data and a high power rating. I recommend USB 3.1 Gen 2 and a power rating of at least 3A. I can't tell you the number of times switching to a good cable has resolved connection issues and that includes stock cables shipped with devices. Good cables go bad or were never good. A cable only goes bad when you need it to work.

There is another possible issue, which is the port on the Mac. Depending on the age of your Mac, if it doesn't have a C-port, but rather an A-port or worse yet a hub, it may not be rated for USB 3 or 3.1. Usually it can still work. On Windows, this can be more problematic, but you may want to use a different port than you've been using or make sure the port you are using can handle USB 3/3.1. I'm using a Mac Pro (little trash can vintage) with A ports for testing this morning. I expected it to work on the M2 chip machines, but it works ok on the older Mac as well. A simple C-A adapter is working fine. Much depends on the firmware / software versioning of your Mac. I only mention that because if it is getting long in the tooth, that can be a problem

Next is the reader. I'd suggest at the troubleshooting stage at keeping it simple, i.e. a good solid card reader, again USB 3.1 Gen 2 rated. Once you have the reader and the cable, make sure it all works with another card, not your problem card.

The other kind of reader, to be blunt, is your drone. That requires making sure the drone connects first. DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic - Download Center - DJI DJI updated Assistant, both Win and OS X versions, in July, making it compatible with Mavic Air 3. Before the physical connection can occur, your Mac has to have the drivers in Assistant to make that connection, otherwise you are dead in the water (same with Windows). Installing Assistant on the Mac is a bit more troublesome than on Windows due to security issues, but the instructions aren't bad. You'll have to enter your password in terminal in a script window that pops up, but it's easy enough. Just follow their instructions. Restarting is not required, but recommended. Make sure you go to System Preferences and allow Assistant to connect to external drives. Not in their instructions, but you need to . Launch Assistant, login, and attach your bird. You should see it in Assistant. If not, you have no physical connection and the cause can be cables, connections or drivers. When your Mavic 3 becomes visible in Assistant, the drive(s) in your bird will then be available in Finder.

So let's start there, with the physical and see if that helps. As you can see, using a card reader is a much better approach, as there's a lot to do making Assistant work.

Steve

Last edited:
Reactions: Krrr and GadgetGuy
Mike,

I tend to speak directly and don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, best intentions, or efforts to help, including yours. My business is data, more specifically obtaining data that, in most cases, was not intended for others to see, i.e. digital forensics. That means I have to connect to a vast array of data sources and overcome many obstacles along that road.

For me, drones are fun. I come here as the goto source for anything dealing with DJI drones. The expertise and friendship here is unparalleled. When I have problems connecting to data sources or dealing with data corruption, this isn't my first stop. I don't mean that in a derogatory sense, only that when it comes to dealing with formatting, connections, corruption of data, etc. there is a huge amount of misinformation mixed in with good information.

In my office I sit among 4 Macs and two Windows machines with the ability to run most anything virtually or boot with any number of security Linux boots. I use what best gets the job done in any given circumstance. You are using a Mac and that is my goto machine for most anything unless I'm forced to use something else. So let's start down the road of solving your problem with a Mac.

The card you are using may not be the fastest, but according to DJI, it's on their approved list. List of Recommended Storage Cards for Drones

The type of format DJI uses depends on the size of the card. 32 GB or less, get FAT32 and larger will be exFAT. You don't have an option. Regardless, Windows or Mac can see any FAT format.

I've responded to you asking for more info and have offered some suggestions. I've reviewed this post and I'm seeing a lot of missing information I need to help you. I see no mention of a card reader being used, but I see this:
1) you are using a Mac, but have also tried Windows
2) you are connecting your drone to your computer via USB

I see you saying they can't be read and are corrupted, but I don't see you saying how you made that determination, what messages you've received, etc.

Troubleshooting is a methodical process and jumping all over the place doesn't help. So let's be methodical.

Connections are both physical first and logical last. First things first, the physical connection. We need to make sure you have a good cable, one rated for data and not just power. I trust you are looking at a USB C connection, at least on the drone side. There are all kinds of USB C cables and you need to have one rated for high speed data and a high power rating. I recommend USB 3.1 Gen 2 and a power rating of at least 3A. I can't tell you the number of times switching to a good cable has resolved connection issues and that includes stock cables shipped with devices. Good cables go bad or were never good. A cable only goes bad when you need it to work.

There is another possible issue, which is the port on the Mac. Depending on the age of your Mac, if it doesn't have a C-port, but rather an A-port or worse yet a hub, it may not be rated for USB 3 or 3.1. Usually it can still work. On Windows, this can be more problematic, but you may want to use a different port than you've been using or make sure the port you are using can handle USB 3/3.1. I'm using a Mac Pro (little trash can vintage) with A ports for testing this morning. I expected it to work on the M2 chip machines, but it works ok on the older Mac as well. A simple C-A adapter is working fine. Much depends on the firmware / software versioning of your Mac. I only mention that because if it is getting long in the tooth, that can be a problem

Next is the reader. I'd suggest at the troubleshooting stage at keeping it simple, i.e. a good solid card reader, again USB 3.1 Gen 2 rated. Once you have the reader and the cable, make sure it all works with another card, not your problem card.

The other kind of reader, to be blunt, is your drone. That requires making sure the drone connects first. DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic - Download Center - DJI DJI updated Assistant, both Win and OS X versions, in July, making it compatible with Mavic Air 3. Before the physical connection can occur, your Mac has to have the drivers in Assistant to make that connection, otherwise you are dead in the water (same with Windows). Installing Assistant on the Mac is a bit more troublesome than on Windows due to security issues, but the instructions aren't bad. You'll have to enter your password in terminal in a script window that pops up, but it's easy enough. Just follow their instructions. Restarting is not required, but recommended. Make sure you go to System Preferences and allow Assistant to connect to external drives. Not in their instructions, but you need to . Launch Assistant, login, and attach your bird. You should see it in Assistant. If not, you have no physical connection and the cause can be cables, connections or drivers. When your Mavic 3 becomes visible in Assistant, the drive(s) in your bird will then be available in Finder.

So let's start there, with the physical and see if that helps. As you can see, using a card reader is a much better approach, as there's a lot to do making Assistant work.

Steve

With all due respect, it really shouldn't be this difficult to get an SD card to work.

I've been using different media for many, many years, and really its pretty simple.

As long as the card is compatible, is genuine (not a fake), you should be able to stick it in, format it (if necessary) and use it.

Hey... just my opinion.

Reactions: sbunting and Meta4
With all due respect, it really shouldn't be this difficult to get an SD card to work.

I've been using different media for many, many years, and really its pretty simple.

As long as the card is compatible, is genuine (not a fake), you should be able to stick it in, format it (if necessary) and use it.

Hey... just my opinion.
If I'm reading Mike correctly, we don't know if the card is formatted correctly or not. He simply can't read it and is assuming it a formatting issue, but he's reporting attaching the drone via USB to his computer and, if the driver's aren't there or there are other connection issues, it's a no go. There's a lot not being said and I'm a troubleshooter and follow a methodology that starts with assuring the physical connections. It may not be a card or formatting issue at all. If it is a formatting issue, then any computer will see it at the physical level if it is is connecting properly. He is saying, nothing, nada. That suggests to me a connectivity issue.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I am just going to remind everyone that all of these high end MicroSD card have lifetime guarantees and the manufacturer will replace it free if there is no physical damage, you know abuse…

This does not resolve the issue of what caused the harm, but if the reason is resolved and corrected, then you can get your dead card replaced.

I am just going to remind everyone that all of these high end MicroSD card have lifetime guarantees and the manufacturer will replace it free if there is no physical damage, you know abuse…
...and are from a brand name manufacturer with a responsive support dept (email and/or phone).

Offering fraudulent warranties and guarantees is as easy as offering fraudulent product. In fact, much easier 😁

• Sad
Reactions: LoudThunder
Offering fraudulent warranties and guarantees is as easy as offering fraudulent product. In fact, much easier
I am guessing that you had a bad experience. I crashed my drone about 18-months ago, it hit a tree and fell in a road and a truck ran over it, the drone was crushed, the battery looked more like a graham cracker… DJI Care Refresh had a new drone and battery on my door step in less than 8-days, but the Sandisk MicroSD Card was dead, it was not visually damaged, but it was not being seen by the drone or my desktop computer, my laptop, or my smart phone…

I contacted Sandisk through the web site, I was given instructions on how to return it and 6-days later, I had a new MicroSD card in my mailbox…

Now, I've heard about lots of fake and counterfeit cards that folks have bought on eBay and I was even one of them but it really was no big deal for me… I bought a pack of eight 16-GB MicroSD cards for my cell phones and tablets, etc… They were cheap, but the seller said they were real, but I remained skeptical…

When they arrived, they did not quite match the photo, but the add mentioned that… an as it turned out two did not work… I contacted the PNY and they emailed me a link check the graphics for an authentic product, they did not match…

I contacted the seller, and he refunded me 1/2 the selling price and I could not complain, even if I did not get a partial refund, I am still using the six good ones and they price was still good…

I am guessing that you had a bad experience.

Yes, ironically it was only the warranty that was fraudulent (i.e. utterly ignored when contacted). The product was legit noname, if cheap and poorly constructed. It failed within the advertised warranty period, which turned out to be meaningless.

I crashed my drone about 18-months ago, it hit a tree and fell in a road and a truck ran over it, the drone was crushed, the battery looked more like a graham cracker… DJI Care Refresh had a new drone and battery on my door step in less than 8-days, but the Sandisk MicroSD Card was dead, it was not visually damaged, but it was not being seen by the drone or my desktop computer, my laptop, or my smart phone…

That's gotta be one of the best crash stories I've heard!

That's gotta be one of the best crash stories I've heard!
I'd like to elaborate a bit more, I was not flying it over a trafficked road, I was in a park and the road was a dirt road that the maintenance folk used. I was flying to the Right (crabbing as you were…) and videotaping the trees as I slowly flew past. But what I did not realize was that there was a big old tree with a branch that reached much further out than the rest. I hit the branch (my first crash…), I could see the leaves and branches as the drone tumbled in the video. I started running towards the "crash scene" and as I ran across the field, a truck came along the dirt road. The driver was watching me as I ran in his direction. When I got to the tree, I looked at the video, but it only showed black, I turned the "Find My Drone" on, but nothing… I scanned the tree and the undergrowth for about 10-minutes and then I noticed it, lying on its back in the road, crushed. The Mini 2 is beige and that was about the same color as the sandy road, which also had some branches and leaves on it. I do not blame the driver, I do not believe that the driver ever noticed it and my running towards him probably also distracted him…

But DJI's Care Refresh came through quickly… But honestly, I think the YouTbe Videos that show Drones taking a dive in the water and the drone keeps recording while it sinks and you can see the fish that swam past before the drone died far more interesting.

However, as I mentioned, that was my first crash, my second and last crash happened at the same park. I was flying from the same location, in front of a pavilion and I flew back fast a bit too fast and could not stop… Luckily I was just above the roof line and the drone came in hot and touched down on the nearly flat roof, but by then it was nearly stopped, but it did flip over on its back. Everything still worked and I snapped photo… As it turns out the tree that ate my first drone is in the photo and indicated by the Red Arrow…

After a very careful going over, my drone came through this one without a scuff or ding, and only the photo to tell the "war story…" L 😁 L . . .

Hot 1.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13