DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Climbing the Mountains at Annie Lake, Yukon

PBDawg

Reactions
On my recent road trip to the Yukon, I pulled over by the side of the road at the base of a majestic mountain. I wanted to get my Mavic Mini to the top of the mountain to take in the view. As I ascended, I did my best to keep my height above ground to less than 120 meters (400 feet), but I couldn't make it all the way to the top because DJI Fly has an altitude limit of 500 meters above the home point. Nevertheless, I got high enough to get a good look above the tree line and a great view of the surrounding wilderness.

Here is a link to the location on Google Maps: 60°21'03.2"N 134°59'06.0"W

On my recent road trip to the Yukon, I pulled over by the side of the road at the base of a majestic mountain. I wanted to get my Mavic Mini to the top of the mountain to take in the view. As I ascended, I did my best to keep my height above ground to less than 120 meters (400 feet), but I couldn't make it all the way to the top because DJI Fly has an altitude limit of 500 meters above the home point. Nevertheless, I got high enough to get a good look above the tree line and a great view of the surrounding wilderness.

I had this problem in the Santan Mtns near me. Solved by landing on a rock a thousand feet up where VLOS and connection could be maintained.., didn’t turn anything off... the after about 20 seconds I took off and the remote landing point was judged 0’ AGL by my drone... Of course I did have to fly the drone back and land manually.

Reactions: PBDawg

I am giving it a big LIKE! I loved the scenery, and your filming was generally pretty decent with the small exception of a few quick yaws that could be edited out. The area is massive, and vast. I would really worry about car troubles out there! The mini is certainly impressive in this clip. (I have a Mavic 2 Pro).

I am giving it a big LIKE! I loved the scenery, and your filming was generally pretty decent with the small exception of a few quick yaws that could be edited out. The area is massive, and vast. I would really worry about car troubles out there! The mini is certainly impressive in this clip. (I have a Mavic 2 Pro).
Thank you Dale. I have to work on my yaws - I actually did edit out some of the even more egregious ones! I may have forgotten to put the Mini into "Cine-slow" mode. Car trouble is certainly something to be concerned about out there. I did have my mechanic give the car a servicing and a thorough once-over before the trip. I ended up driving 5,553 kms (3450 miles) on that trip!

Thank you Dale. I have to work on my yaws - I actually did edit out some of the even more egregious ones! I may have forgotten to put the Mini into "Cine-slow" mode. Car trouble is certainly something to be concerned about out there. I did have my mechanic give the car a servicing and a thorough once-over before the trip. I ended up driving 5,553 kms (3450 miles) on that trip!
You are a brave traveler! Hopefully, you were given a quick lesson by your mechanic on changing tires and had more than one spare tire in the car. I know I am going far afield for drone questions, but were there reasonable lodgings, and supplies if you were camping?

Many years ago on a safari from Kenya to Tanzania, our driver drove for 14 hours, into the dark with wild animals on the road, and had to change tires three times, once in the dark in the presence of a hippo.

You are a brave traveler! Hopefully, you were given a quick lesson by your mechanic on changing tires and had more than one spare tire in the car. I know I am going far afield for drone questions, but were there reasonable lodgings, and supplies if you were camping?

Many years ago on a safari from Kenya to Tanzania, our driver drove for 14 hours, into the dark with wild animals on the road, and had to change tires three times, once in the dark in the presence of a hippo.
Well, we did have a spare but we didn't need it. The highways throughout British Columbia and into the parts of the Yukon that we visited are paved and very well maintained. The only damage to the vehicle was two chips in the windshield and about half a million insects on the bumper and side mirrors. The only significant gravel road that we took was when we went to Annie Lake and I shot the video.

We camped for three days of the trip, stayed in hotels for nine days, and stayed at my daughter's home in Whitehorse for four days (hence the purpose of the trip). Accommodations were good except for one town where almost all hotels were booked up (due to major infrastructure construction projects), so we stayed in a scary dive motel one night. Other than that, the campgrounds were beautiful and the hotels were good enough.
IMG_20200913_130208.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_130223.jpg
    IMG_20200913_130223.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Beautiful views. What editing program do you use. I'm trying to find a good one and I like the way you fade in and our between videos.

Beautiful views. What editing program do you use. I'm trying to find a good one and I like the way you fade in and our between videos.
Thank you Jane. I use Camtasia from Techsmith. I like its balance between flexibility, ease-of-use and cost. You can download a 30-day trial copy if you want to try it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3