DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clip length for MavicPilots?

Former Member

Reactions
I always like to watch member videos, especially if they are from tropical places or places I've never been to. On that note, when I see a member post an unedited video of anything longer than 3 or 4 minutes, I usually mute the sound, and increase the playback speed to 2x if the video host allows it. Many times, members will post just one long clip, no editing, just to get some feedback.

How does everyone feel about a travel video, for example? This might be subjective, but at what length do people start losing interest if it's not edited into shorter length clips? I like a transition every 5-7 seconds max, and some members transition even shorter than that.

There are so many talented members here, some are better photographers than pilots, and some are better pilots than photographers (like me). I admire the artists out there. They can make a mundane video look exciting.

Reactions: ksmusa
How long I will watch it depends on how much I am enjoying it. However anything over 5 min may get passed simply because I don't have a ton of time.

As for the length of individual clips I would say generally having several shorter is better in travel stuff. Hard to make a several minute clip interesting but it certainly happens. Kinda like a top photos from the trip but in short videos.

YouTube stats have been fairly consistent over the past few years, showing that around 75% of viewers will watch through a video up to two minutes in length before clicking out. After two minutes the numbers begin to plummet.

YouTube Statistics and Your Best Video Length for Different Videos

I posted this comment in another thread recently... I had a friend who was a local TV producer. No matter what I showed him (for critique) he would always say the same thing, "Great... Now cut it in half." I've seen folks post their home movies (full length) as if they were interesting to others. They're not :). Drone imagery has become common, and the "wow" factor has greatly reduced. So we're back to good content, a relevant message and coherent video that flows. Even then, folks will still click out before the end.

Reactions: Simmo
Interesting comments. I have to agree. I watch a lot of YouTube stuff as it happens and my least favourite stuff is where people who apparently like the sound of their own voices take 25 minutes to say or cover something that could be done in less than three. They get switched off and disliked.

Then again it really depends on subject matter and quality - I'll happily sit through 30 minute videos of people pottering about in the wilderness for example, providing the footage is good quality, the scenery worth looking at and there's no repetition.

In a short aerial video, unless the subject matter is especially stunning, 5-10 second clips with minimal repetition make a huge difference.

I agree with all comments above.

If the video is more than 3 minutes , it has to be something really amazing for me to watch it in normal speed.

I try to keep the 2,5 minutes mark for my videos too.

/Dimitris

Reactions: Thwyllo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42