DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Clipping issue

Tmr204

Reactions
Hi everyone. I've had the spark prior to the mavic air so there's a few new things to me on this drone. One thing I've noticed is that when I watch the videos back I get a horrible clipping/constant update stream from left to right and look as if it's "updating" the pictures. I've attached a link to one below for you to see. Particularly noticeable on the grass.

I've also had some issues with range with losing transmission with the drone around 30m away I've got fully updated firmware and app. Using samsung galaxy s8+ with USB C connection.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: TroutboyNZ
Are you using manual camera settings or automatic? This would include White Balance.

This looks like the cached video on your tablet / phone, not the higher quality "real" video that goes to the onboard flash or SD card.

This looks like the cached video on your tablet / phone, not the higher quality "real" video that goes to the onboard flash or SD card.
I know! Unfortunately this is the full video after downloading it from the dji go 4 app!

Are you using manual camera settings or automatic? This would include White Balance.
Tried today with auto shutter options but set white balance to cloudy and still have the same issue. Do you think it will be to do with the shutter?

I know! Unfortunately this is the full video after downloading it from the dji go 4 app!
Maybe a stupid question but did you have the Mavic ON when downloading the footage from the GO app? If it's OFF it will export only the cache (720p) footage instead of the SD footage.
This looks like cache to me. The clipping might be interference during reception of the video signal.

Maybe a stupid question but did you have the Mavic ON when downloading the footage from the GO app? If it's OFF it will export only the cache (720p) footage instead of the SD footage.
This looks like cache to me. The clipping might be interference during reception of the video signal.

yep the drone was on! settings were at 1080p 60fps

ive tried using 4k and 2k but still having the same "clipping happening" if i fly more than around 40m away i get the message appear that video signal is lost or that there is video interference but as you can see i am stood in the middle of a playing field so i'm not sure what it would be causing the interference. I'm also getting the same message wherever i'm flying (tried at the local field too)

Forgive me if this was already understood.

Try using Manual for brightness or color balance.

Forgive me if this was already understood.

Try using Manual for brightness or color balance.
hi Chirp. i tried manual on both settings today to film some rugby and i am still getting the same issue - it appears that a bar travels from left to right and "updates" the footage. ill attach a video below of todays footage. flew to around 50ft and got a message saying video transmission lost - lowered the drone to around 35m and got signal back.

this one was filmed 1080p with manual shutter settings and manual brightness/colour

Both examples are only 720p, is that intentional or is it possibly the cached version as already suggested.
There's no need to avoid auto setting but there is a chance of changes during a sequence which are distracting and difficult to correct later

I think that downloading video via the Go4 app will still only give you the cached video not the full resolution video you will find on the micro SD card. Have you tried removing the SD card and viewing the video files on there?

Both examples are only 720p, is that intentional or is it possibly the cached version as already suggested.
There's no need to avoid auto setting but there is a chance of changes during a sequence which are distracting and difficult to correct later
I think that's just the limitations on YouTube on my device they are 1080p and 2k.

I think that downloading video via the Go4 app will still only give you the cached video not the full resolution video you will find on the micro SD card. Have you tried removing the SD card and viewing the video files on there?
Is this feature unique to the mavic air on the spark you would get the cached version until you clicked download on the app and then would get the quality you filmed in

Is this feature unique to the mavic air on the spark you would get the cached version until you clicked download on the app and then would get the quality you filmed in

MP is the same, you need to access the files on the sd card.

Tried today with auto shutter options but set white balance to cloudy and still have the same issue. Do you think it will be to do with the shutter?

I'm at a loss for why this would be happening? Personally, I would be making considerations to send it back to DJI, since you have more than just the camera issue, but the distance it can fly.

As for the video ... if you do not have a card reader, it is worth it to invest in one. They are as small as a jump drive and you can assure you are getting the video that's on your card transferred to device.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck. I hope you find a resolution to your situation soon.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmr204
So why is the uploaded file 720p.
Like the cache would be.

I think he means Youtube may be restricting his account. They did this to me on a video that I had already uploaded in 1080p ... I added music from their service (royalty free) and that new video with music is only 720p.

Not sure if Youtube is doing this to his video, only explaining what he may have meant when he said "I think that's just the limitations on YouTube ... "

Reactions: Tmr204
So why is the uploaded file 720p.
Like the cache would be.
sorry i didnt explain that very clearly. when uploading to youtube the highest resolution i could select was 720p. - even though my video is recorded at 2k or 1080p YouTube would only let me upload it to a certain quality. the images arent great i appreciate that but i understand this is youtube downscaling the video. the irritation is that even on my phone/computer with the high resolution i still get the "clipping" where the image look as if it has a bar sliding across it from left to right and the colours on the video change.

do you know how to fix this issue?

I'm at a loss for why this would be happening? Personally, I would be making considerations to send it back to DJI, since you have more than just the camera issue, but the distance it can fly.

As for the video ... if you do not have a card reader, it is worth it to invest in one. They are as small as a jump drive and you can assure you are getting the video that's on your card transferred to device.

At any rate, I wish you the best of luck. I hope you find a resolution to your situation soon.

Mike
thanks Mike. im in contact with DJI support and have sent my controller logs to them with regards to the limited distance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King