DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close Call with Bird Attacks---

Marv

Reactions
What can be done to avoid or scare birds away from your drone--other than just don't fly around birds?
Strobe lights?? Any suggestions????

You can add a skin to change its colour to something bright that birds don't expect to see in the air - orange or red for the UK - not sure what works best elsewhere. Or you can get those 'evil eyes' stickers that are much more effective in dissuading an attack but do make your craft look slightly ridiculous ! Strobes are reported to help as well. Generally speaking though if it's not the nesting season, then they are mostly curious rather than confrontational. If it is the nesting season, and they feel threatened by you to the point where they will risk contact, then apart from a hard, fast climb (the one manoeuvre they can't match), there is nothing you can do about that; their aerial skills are about 1000 times better than yours, so it's up to you not to fly near these places when they have young...

Last edited:
Reactions: WAXMAN
Raptors are getting territorial now that breeding season is just starting for them in the northern hemisphere.

If you could mount a propane cannon on the drone it may help, otherwise you already know the key to bird attack avoidance... good luck with that, I dint think there is much to do, except maybe disguise your drone like this to ward off bird attacks - or pehaps the opposite..:

Last edited:
Reactions: dannybgoode
Mine was divebombed by a Magpie (Perth Aus) and man it was in full attack dive mode - i was only lucky that the m2z was close i bolted down towards me to the ground and then stopped flying and jumped behind it in line of sight and waved like a crazy man - **** bird pulled off at the last second!

magpie.jpg

thankfully..! not even joking - not my pic - but the view was like this as i waved my arms like a nutter!! (for those who dont know what a magpie is - search magpie swoop)

Attachments

• magpie.jpg
    magpie.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: AMann
Most birds will interpret another bird climbing as aggression and a sign of a predator, so immediately climbing is usually a good initial tactic. That will also buy you some distance so you can then cut and run if needed.

Breeding season is another matter though, and even normally passive birds will become more aggressive and take on much larger birds to defend their young/nests. All you can do there is repeatedly climb and run until you get away from the nest, especially for birds like magpies that will actively attack other birds.

Wow - scary stuff. Never realised some birds can be so aggressive / suicidal!
I recall reading about an experiment done at an airport where they painted various images on boards and tried to see if they'll disuade birds. Most of them worked for a short while but then birds got used to them. The only one that worked long term and with great effect was a pair of googly eyes! Just found the article: Scientists able to scare away birds around airport with googly eyes

Lost my P2 to a hawk at 350’ - it happens. Also had a hawk swoop down as I was landing my P3, near miss about 20’ off ground.

Wouldn't a bird of prey or any bird for that matter not get seriously hurt by the propeller blades during an attack?

I would have thought on larger drones that they would stand a good chance of losing a leg even!

Or am i greatly overestimating the power in the blades lol?

Once saw a talon cross my image when I was 100' over water and my MPP shook pretty violently. I climbed straight up and headed back home. When I landed it, I found a feather in the gimbal assembly, but no damage. Never saw the actual bird. Really lucked out.

Wouldn't a bird of prey or any bird for that matter not get seriously hurt by the propeller blades during an attack?

I would have thought on larger drones that they would stand a good chance of losing a leg even!

Or am i greatly overestimating the power in the blades lol?
From reports of members getting hit by the blades I don't think the birds will be hurt. There is not a lot of torque from these small motors so high RPM but not a lot of slicing power "I think".

Reactions: Point Zero
Wow - scary stuff. Never realised some birds can be so aggressive / suicidal!
I recall reading about an experiment done at an airport where they painted various images on boards and tried to see if they'll disuade birds. Most of them worked for a short while but then birds got used to them. The only one that worked long term and with great effect was a pair of googly eyes! Just found the article: Scientists able to scare away birds around airport with googly eyes

Here’s the actual study report with photos-

Wide-eyed glare scares raptors: From laboratory evidence to applied management

Their results state that “...birds of prey react to 2D visual stimuli, and that a stimulus based on a contrasting “approaching” « eye shape » (black circle and white surrounds) does indeed trigger strong reactions by these birds. The hypothesis that contrast and movement are appropriate for capturing attention but also inducing avoidance in birds was confirmed for birds of prey.”

They may have found something there that can help us. You know those lenticular stickers that look like they are moving? Maybe some eye ones that look like they are moving or getting closer would be worth a try.

Last edited:
From reports of members getting hit by the blades I don't think the birds will be hurt. There is not a lot of torque from these small motors so high RPM but not a lot of slicing power "I think".

Thanks for the info. I kind of feel a bit safer near my M2P now

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028