DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Cloud over cloud over mountain

Wow. Nice photo. Gigantic lenticular clouds, aren't they? I guess things really are bigger in Alaska.

Sailplane pilots love them as markers of strong lift. They form when an air mass is channeled upward over an obstacle, like a mountain or another air mass. As the air rises it cools and can't hold as much moisture, so moisture condenses and creates the cloud On the downwind side, the descending air warms and can hold more moisture and the cloud evaporates.

We could probably make a social media post claiming this is evidence that wind turbines are messing with the Earth's climate, and have ten thousand followers tomorrow.

Reactions: KBF
I'm not 100% sure. I'm into clouds and familiar with lenticulars. We see a fair number of them given our mountains but I've never seen any quite like this. It must be something like a lenny, and perhaps it is....

I'm not 100% sure. I'm into clouds and familiar with lenticulars. We see a fair number of them given our mountains but I've never seen any quite like this. It must be something like a lenny, and perhaps it is....
Hybrid Lenticular, secret testing by Musk :)

How far away would you say that wind farm is from where you are? I know, in Colorado, I tried to fly to the mountain, but I never made it. LOL. You might also consider fixing the white balance and getting rid of that blue tint to make it just a little nicer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

How far away would you say that wind farm is from where you are? I know, in Colorado, I tried to fly to the mountain, but I never made it. LOL. You might also consider fixing the white balance and getting rid of that blue tint to make it just a little nicer.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
Others have commented about that kind of thing (the blue tint) but I like it as it is. I think it gives a sense of winter and cold. This is a HDR pano from 18 images so I had control of the white balance :).

Others have commented about that kind of thing (the blue tint) but I like it as it is. I think it gives a sense of winter and cold. This is a HDR pano from 18 images so I had control of the white balance :).
I'm sure I am 5-7miles away at that point. I've ridden my bike back to the windfarm some time ago but didn't carry my drone. It's a very bumpy gravel road.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Nice Pic, its hiding one of those spaceships from Independance day😁

Reactions: KBF
Where about were you?
About..exactly... 64°2'31.5188" N 149°9'50.945" W on the Parks Hwy which is 3mi north of the turn off for the Ferry Rd that does down to the river and train tracks that would take you across the river to get up to the wind farm. So that's about 13mi north of Healy, AK. The windfarm is 7.6mi from the highway, as the drone flies. I was about 250ft AGL.

About..exactly... 64°2'31.5188" N 149°9'50.945" W on the Parks Hwy which is 3mi north of the turn off for the Ferry Rd that does down to the river and train tracks that would take you across the river to get up to the wind farm. So that's about 13mi north of Healy, AK. The windfarm is 7.6mi from the highway, as the drone flies. I was about 250ft AGL.
Wow, talk about precise. :) I'm in Anchorage, and have had my Air 3 for a couple of weeks. Hard to fly around here, the muni has so many restrictions. If easier to communicate my email is: [email protected]

Wow, talk about precise. :) I'm in Anchorage, and have had my Air 3 for a couple of weeks. Hard to fly around here, the muni has so many restrictions. If easier to communicate my email is: [email protected]
When you take a picture with most (all?) dji drones the GPS coord are recorded. I can see them on Lightroom and normally in a Get Info dialog box but some of these didn't show on that but they did in Lightroom. I've done a lot of flying in the Anchorage area. It's important to note that while Chugach State Park doesn't allow you to launch from within it, along the Seward down along Beluga Point the hwy is not technically in the park so you can launch all along those turnouts and down the highway. Very scenic. The drive toward Whittier is also very scenic. You can drive into Eklutna and while you can't launch from within the park it's another case of the road itself not being in the park so you can fly over it - entirely legally. You can find quite a few videos from the Anchorage areas at my youtube web site, at https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos. Matanuska Glacier is also within a day's drive. From Girdwood there is a rough road (wait till it's dry) that goes into the State Forest. Some nice footage to be had along that. Start it with a full tank...turn around spots are infrequent but it's no huge problem.

Thanks. Been here for 57 years so very familiar with your directions, and appreciate you taking the time to share your directions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123