DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cloud Surfing - Finally got a chance to do it!

Qoncussion

Reactions
I was packing my gear up yesterday, and saw a fog bank rolling in behind me. I couldn't resist the opportunity to grab a couple of quick clips from above the clouds.

cac7916448e9f321f6849a7501afe595.jpg

I was packing my gear up yesterday, and saw a fog bank rolling in behind me. I couldn't resist the opportunity to grab a couple of quick clips from above the clouds.

REALLY Cool - !!!!

Heres a Fun one

Wow. Great flight. I will not dare to do it cos it will be flying solely dependent on the map... am I right?

Wow. Great flight. I will not dare to do it cos it will be flying solely dependent on the map... am I right?
For recreational Drone usage, the rule is to keep LOS (line of Sight)
The reality is even if you can see it - there will be moments you will not -

I must be honest - the DJI machines are incredible - and are super reliable with FailSafe return to home when necessary.

The First Person View - as If inside the Drone, would be the way to fly the cloud scene -

Being a Commercial Pilot - the drone offers views Im very familiar with - … and there should be a "Higher level" rule (even by test) for such flying.

There are opportunities with the drone - that effectively cannot be followed - unless a waiver of the LOS rule - could take place.

ie Law enforcement in Built up areas, or Flying into Caves for Search and Rescue - - or other search and rescue for Climbers, hurt or Lost on mountain tops - or Just Sheer Cinematic Film Making shots - over IceCaps or Waterfalls - that clearly - will not always be in the Operators LINE of Sight.

… Also talking bout the new ENTERPRISE "Dual" which clearly - is marketed to Night flyers aanad those working in unnatural (non recreational) conditions...

The two VIDEOS above show some of the beauty available - none of which have been strictly Line of sight.

SO - NO you don't need to Fly by MAP (as you said) - which is irresponsible (height) - but rather as FPV from Phone or goggles -

I know the "Drone Police" are sure to bounce on this - ...
but I DID SAY - it should be a higher level flying Stage - for Qualified and Experienced Pilots. (so QUALIFIED even by Study, Practical flying and Examination)

Last edited:
There are ways you can optimize your angles and keep the Mavic in sight and I am sure thats what Kevin has done with this video. Beautiful and surreal clips!

Reactions: Qoncussion
There are ways you can optimize your angles and keep the Mavic in sight and I am sure thats what Kevin has done with this video. Beautiful and surreal clips!

The bird was directly over my head. Breaching the top of the fog didn't require much altitude, as I was standing on top of a mountain. You can see how close the treeline is in the opening shot.

I tend to find the whole drone police thing kinda boring, and rarely feel the need to justify my work to them. :^D

There is no need really. I think people often see fog and clouds and assume that it is a complete blanket. In many areas this is just not the case. I fly in areas here in Nevada that have clear openings in the fog or clouds. Or I launch from an elevation (mountains , ridges , etc) that is pretty darn near to the top of the fog layer.

Its a knee jerk reaction that many may have - "Ooooooo Fog you cannot possibly maintain sight of your Mavic"

I find it somewhat humorous.

The Law states you must keep your drone 500 feet below or 2000 foot horizontal from a cloud. Seeing or not seeing the drone, this is against that law. These laws about airspace are in place to separate planes and drones. Just wondering how you guys who break these laws are going to feel when you are the first guy to hit a plane with your drone and maybe bring it down and kill people onboard. The FAA has a lot of dumb regulations for sure, but the ones keeping drones insight and out of clouds makes sense when it comes to separating air traffic.

Reactions: Inspirephil

cac7916448e9f321f6849a7501afe595.jpg
Very nice shots !! Whenever I am fortunate enough to see beautiful cloud formations I always try to get shots of them. They’re one of my favorite things to take photos and videos of. Keep up the good work and keep posting your pictures of the clouds. I really like seeing them.

Attachments

• A44351CE-B363-4893-B383-49C139654E16.jpeg
    A44351CE-B363-4893-B383-49C139654E16.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28
  • 73410CE1-0A1D-432F-B48C-86612E0EBE5A.jpeg
    73410CE1-0A1D-432F-B48C-86612E0EBE5A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 16E7E86F-9986-4881-BF66-41EACBE3A1E9.jpeg
    16E7E86F-9986-4881-BF66-41EACBE3A1E9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • C983F6FB-62E0-478A-A71B-2C071D486DF4.jpeg
    C983F6FB-62E0-478A-A71B-2C071D486DF4.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
The Law states you must keep your drone 500 feet below or 2000 foot horizontal from a cloud. Seeing or not seeing the drone, this is against that law. These laws about airspace are in place to separate planes and drones. Just wondering how you guys who break these laws are going to feel when you are the first guy to hit a plane with your drone and maybe bring it down and kill people onboard. The FAA has a lot of dumb regulations for sure, but the ones keeping drones insight and out of clouds makes sense when it comes to separating air traffic.
Very good points! You’re absolutely correct about the FAA’s regulations and why they are there. Well stated but aren’t you forgetting that the reason you fly drones is to get great photos and videos as long as you’re not putting anyone at risk?
Especially if you’re out in the middle of nowhere! ;)

Reactions: BD0G and Qoncussion

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming